Car not charging on DC chargers / Fault code P1EB2 Battery Interface Control Module 1 Not Programmed

Does yours have a single phase or 3-phase onboard charger? (3-phase will have pins in the L2 and L3 slots). Not that this impacts DC charging, but may give a clue as to the type of CCU the car has.

Which network charge points have you tried? (Ionity? BP Pulse? Applegreen? etc.)

I recall one other SE (SR?) owner having issues with DC charging, but I don't think they've reached a resolution yet.

Does yours have a single phase or 3-phase onboard charger? (3-phase will have pins in the L2 and L3 slots). Not that this impacts DC charging, but may give a clue as to the type of CCU the car has.

Which network charge points have you tried? (Ionity? BP Pulse? Applegreen? etc.)

I recall one other SE (SR?) owner having issues with DC charging, but I don't think they've reached a resolution yet.

The slots do have pins in.

On the evening it came to light I tried it at ESSO/MFG, Shell, Instavolt, Genie Point (3 of), it was a fun evening. Over the following 48 hours I tried a number of the same operators again, some at the same sites, some at others, plus a Pod Point DC charger.

Today after collection I tried ESSO/MFG and Instavolt.

The garage have told me the charger that they allegedly tested it at (a Pod Point) and I am going to take it there tonight and check.

I have a memory of this happening to some other people last year. Someone was stranded on holiday due to the same thing, unable to charge on DC and a long way from home. I think it was around July/August time because I remember the dealer did some sort of upgrade on my car at the end of July and I was sufficiently concerned to drive to the nearest motorway service station and try it out on Applegreen and Gridserve, as well as the village CPS charger, to make sure the gremlin hadn't crept in.

Another thought. Was your car charging on DC before you had this upgrade, or was this the first time you'd used a rapid charger?

EDIT: Thread merge with the previous thread on non-charging at DC chargers. (It's unclear if it's the same actual fault, but it will be helpful to keep this issue in one place.)

Last edited:
I tried the Pod Point charger they tested it on this evening and whilst the app - initially - said it was charging, the car and the charger said it wasn’t.

I am - slightly - comforted by the garage saying it impacted another car they had in too as hopefully if it is a known - fairly major - issue MG will have to sort it quickly… or am I being naive?

Can you ask them to try DC charging with you present?
I take it you have charged before without issues so this is simply a case of either the CCU is buggered by the sw update and needs some new hardware, or you have a temperamental charging port that maybe can be sorted without new hardware.

I had this happen to me following a service in November and it does seem to be quite common.
I was still able to granny charge but not DC charge. It seems that an upgrade applied during the service affected the ability to DC charge. It was put right easily by my dealer but only after quite a long wait for them to be able to fit me in. It wasn't a problem for me as I mostly use the car for commuting, could still charge at home and have access to an ICE car if needs be. However, I was going on a long journey at Christmas so had to make a bit of a fuss to get booked in relatively quickly.

Can you ask them to try DC charging with you present?
I take it you have charged before without issues so this is simply a case of either the CCU is buggered by the sw update and needs some new hardware, or you have a temperamental charging port that maybe can be sorted without new hardware.

When it goes back in I will.

I regularly DC charge it when on work trips and have never had an issue. The last successful DC charge was a day or two prior to the service.

Part of the issue is that the dealership doesn't have a DC charger on site. I was made aware of this and told it would be tested off site - but then someone else told me that they tested it on site with their charger - when I pointed out they didn't have means to do a DC test on site they went away and when they came back told me where they supposedly tested it. The car was definitely taken off site as it spent the night outside a house in a neighbouring town which didn't impress me hugely, they have said that this was when it was tested.

This sounds awfully like what a few people experienced last summer. I don't know how to find the relevant thread(s) now, but the issue was the same. Some sort of software update, and then the car wouldn't charge on DC. I think the member who was stranded at his holiday hotel had a new car that hadn't been charged on DC at all before the trip in question.

I remember it because I was sufficiently concerned to go to three different DC chargers after collecting my car after a software update at the time. If I'm right about this, the fix was something that was available last July.

Threads now merged.

Last edited:
This sounds awfully like what a few people experienced last summer. I don't know how to find the relevant thread(s) now, but the issue was the same. Some sort of software update, and then the car wouldn't charge on DC. I think the member who was stranded at his holiday hotel had a new car that hadn't been charged on DC at all before the trip in question.

I remember it because I was sufficiently concerned to go to three different DC chargers after collecting my car after a software update at the time. If I'm right about this, the fix was something that was available last July.
Hopefully there should be an easy fix for it, I am still waiting to hear back from the garage. They said that they need to “raise a case” with MG and that it can take up to ten days for them to reply - if that is the case I won’t be impressed.

Hello all, new member here - please go gently with me.

I have an MG4 SE LR that I got last June. It had its first 15K service on Friday 3rd of Feb where they did whatever they normally do in a service, and a software update. Normally I charge it at home, but I was away with work last week and on Wednesday needed to use a rapid charger - and had no luck. I spent 3 hours driving around Leeds trying all manner of chargers with no luck before giving up and trying a 7kWh Pod Point charger near my hotel which worked. I have subsequently established that the car will not connect to/charge at any DC charger. AC is fine, but put a DC charger anywhere near it and nothing happens.

I sent it back into the dealership in Peterborough who have had it for the last two days. They told me that they have tested it and it is working - however I tried three chargers on my way home and none of them would connect.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or can anyone direct me to a thread where this is being discussed? Concerningly the garage told me this afternoon that they have had another MG4 have identical issues (including it working fine when they tested it). Is it easy to fix? I do a lot of milage so DC charging is pretty essential.

Many thanks

Rich
I have the very same problem with mine.

Went to Scotland last year and it was fine, and then one day it wouldn't rapid charge. Tried so many different chargers with none working. After prolonged visits to the dealer, they eventually discovered a faulty temperature sensor on the main battery. It constantly shows the battery at 86 deg! (this isn't displayed in the vehicle, only in the workshop). So when you plug it in to a rapid charger the car thinks its overheated and rejects the charger.

Don't accept its okay, get them to plug it in to a rapid charger on site to prove it, for some reason its not flagged on the diagnostic check.

I've been stuck with this problem since September last year, but the fault wasn't confirmed till January. I'm now waiting for the new part (4 weeks so far). This has seriously impacted on the useability of the car. No way can I go on long trips or book any holidays where I would need to rapid charge!!

Was hoping to go to Scotland this year on holiday, but almost impossible now.

Went to Scotland last year and it was fine, and then one day it wouldn't rapid charge. Tried so many different chargers with none working. After prolonged visits to the dealer, they eventually discovered a faulty temperature sensor on the main battery. It constantly shows the battery at 86 deg! (this isn't displayed in the vehicle, only in the workshop). So when you plug it in to a rapid charger the car thinks its overheated and rejects the charger.

Don't accept its okay, get them to plug it in to a rapid charger on site to prove it, for some reason its not flagged on the diagnostic check.

I've been stuck with this problem since September last year, but the fault wasn't confirmed till January. I'm now waiting for the new part (4 weeks so far). This has seriously impacted on the useability of the car. No way can I go on long trips or book any holidays where I would need to rapid charge!!

Crikey. Did this happen following a software update or just out of the blue?

Out of the blue, as far as I know.
Couldn’t say exactly when as I don’t rapid charge that often. MG are so very very slow to do anything though. I think it went in at least 4 separate times before they decided to order the part. They just kept trying to reset everything hoping it would correct it.

Out of the blue, as far as I know.
Couldn’t say exactly when as I don’t rapid charge that often. MG are so very very slow to do anything though. I think it went in at least 4 separate times before they decided to order the part. They just kept trying to reset everything hoping it would correct it.
Thanks. The garage have tried to manage expectations over MG's response times, but I will mention the issue with the temperature sensor to see if that is what is causing my issue.

When it goes back in I will.

I regularly DC charge it when on work trips and have never had an issue. The last successful DC charge was a day or two prior to the service.

Part of the issue is that the dealership doesn't have a DC charger on site. I was made aware of this and told it would be tested off site - but then someone else told me that they tested it on site with their charger - when I pointed out they didn't have means to do a DC test on site they went away and when they came back told me where they supposedly tested it. The car was definitely taken off site as it spent the night outside a house in a neighbouring town which didn't impress me hugely, they have said that this was when it was tested.
What do you mean with didn't impress me hugely? So they did not tell you where they tested it? Since you should see the car being charged....

I had this on September after a service. I sent it back to the garage and they did another bunch of software updates. This (unfortunately) resulted in reduced power and the car struggling to go above 50mph. After another bunch of updates the car was fixed.
Hassle your dealer enough and they'll fix it I imagine!

That's what I remember! The false report of battery temperature. It wasn't you who was stranded on holiday with this issue, was it?

What do you mean with didn't impress me hugely? So they did not tell you where they tested it? Since you should see the car being charged....

The bit that didn't impress me hugely was the fact that my car was parked outside someone's house in another town and not at the dealership.

When I asked them about it they told me that this wasn't the case and it was locked in their compound. I said that if that was the case I would like them to look at the tracker as well because it showed that the car was at XYZ address and then they admitted it.

They didn't show it charging, all they did was tell me that the person responsible for quality control had taken it to a DC charger and that it worked. I presume he did this after work hours and then took the car home with him having left his at the site.

Last edited:
The bit that didn't impress me hugely was the fact that my car was parked outside someone's house in another town and not at the dealership.

When I asked them about it they told me that this wasn't the case and it was locked in their compound. I said that if that was the case I would like them to look at the tracker as well because it showed that the car was at XYZ address and then they admitted it.

They didn't show it charging, all they did was tell me that the person responsible for quality control had taken it to a DC charger and that it worked. I presume he did this after work hours and then took the car home with him having left his at the site.
Yes, I suspected one of the people at the dealership, a technician or salesperson took your car home with them one night and tried the DC charger. It is a standard thing that dealers do to try to reproduce and test customer problems that saves them time and hassle during the day.

Of course, they should be open about it and tell you that's what happened, rather than pretend it was all during working hours.

That's what I remember! The false report of battery temperature. It wasn't you who was stranded on holiday with this issue, was it?
I went to London from Leicester, and found the problem on my return journey. Eventually used one of the slow chargers at a service station and got fined for exceeding 2 hours! Not one of my best trips.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back