CCS charging

I've read some reports that the Model 3 LFP are showing surprisingly large degradation, maybe pushing batteries towards 3c in charging is not for the best despite the convenience ?
Could be that the balancing is just out of whack on those cars though, LFP is a bit odd that way, due to the flatter voltage curve.
Personally, if my SR ever arrives (or if I don't cancel my order due to the worrying faults mounting up ) I plan to only ever charge at 50kw on a trip in the interests of battery longevity.

An extra 20 mins really doesn't bother me for the few times a year I take a longer journey, if you do it regularly I can understand the frustration though.
Where are these reports? Is it really degredation or is the estimated range adjusting to driving conditions and changing climate? Genuinely curious as LFP should do better if anything.

A few vids on the tube about it. Seems the cells can lose 10% rapidly if you ram them to 100% for cell balancing, yet that's what's recommended
:oops:
Jeez, you can't win, think i'll stick with Diesel !

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

TBH I think mostly charging to 90% with say a monthly 100% balance charge( that's not left at 100% for too long ) will see little degradation occurring.
LFP is not new and there's plenty of evidence that the chemistry is capable of many thousands of cycles during it's useful life.

Folks, another proof the 117kW peak charging on the SE might be pipedream.

Mr Thomas is a seasoned EV owner and did everything right in his video and test :
  • Showing up with a very low SoC (5%)
  • Preconditionning the battery pack on the way to the charging station.
  • Yo-yoing his driving style to warm up the battery pack as much as possible
  • Not sharing the CCS stall with anybody else, having the full power of the Ionity stall for him

He never reached more than 88 kW peak charge.
The peak charge isn't that much on an important factor if the charging curve is fair.
For the case of the SE, thanks to @Sparkles charging curve data and Mr Thomas video, we can conclude that the charging curve is okay. Not fantastic, but okay.
We know we can reach 5-10-15% to 80% on CCS in around 38 minutes. Close to advertised by MG.
Unlike the Trophy/Luxury and NMC pack that charges way faster than advertised, the SE/Standard and LFP pack charges strictly at the charge speed advertised. I was hoping for a faster time, but okay.
Personally, with all that real-world data, i'm gonna switch to a Trophy/Luxury to benefit from a faster and better charging curve during road trips. The SE won't cut it for me personally but to each his own :)

Folks, another proof the 117kW peak charging on the SE might be pipedream.

Mr Thomas is a seasoned EV owner and did everything right in his video and test :
  • Showing up with a very low SoC (5%)
  • Preconditionning the battery pack on the way to the charging station.
  • Yo-yoing his driving style to warm up the battery pack as much as possible
  • Not sharing the CCS stall with anybody else, having the full power of the Ionity stall for him

He never reached more than 88 kW peak charge.
The peak charge isn't that much on an important factor if the charging curve is fair.
For the case of the SE, thanks to @Sparkles charging curve data and Mr Thomas video, we can conclude that the charging curve is okay. Not fantastic, but okay.
We know we can reach 5-10-15% to 80% on CCS in around 38 minutes. Close to advertised by MG.
Unlike the Trophy/Luxury and NMC pack that charges way faster than advertised, the SE/Standard and LFP pack charges strictly at the charge speed advertised. I was hoping for a faster time, but okay.
Personally, with all that real-world data, i'm gonna switch to a Trophy/Luxury to benefit from a faster and better charging curve during road trips. The SE won't cut it for me personally but to each his own :)

It certainly seems like the SR is limited to 87kWh at the moment. This could be a software limit and may get changed in an update.

If I had been promised more, I would complain to my dealer/MG and ask for answers.

As I commented on that video ... peak charging speed is like vehicle top speed - good for top-trumps and bragging rights, but largely irrelevant in the real world. The charging time being to specification is the most important.

(Even if 117 kWh could have been achieved, that doesn't mean the time to reach 80% would have been any shorter).

As I commented on that video ... peak charging speed is like vehicle top speed - good for top-trumps and bragging rights, but largely irrelevant in the real world. The charging time being to specification is the most important.

(Even if 117 kWh could have been achieved, that doesn't mean the time to reach 80% would have been any shorter).
Yes, quite right. But if I had an SR, I’d still want to prove it COULD, even if just for the sake of it. Some people may have made their own calculations based on that figure.

Personally ive simmered down on this subject a little. If you average out the charging its still just under the advertised time window which is good. What i dont like is advertising the peak charge rate when there is no real way to achieve it (given that this video does all the right things). It just gives a little doubt that what else is overegagerated. Overall its an amazing car

Forcing the battery to gobble 140kW for a few mins just to get a headline rate is pointless IMO.

Having messed around with RC models for a great number of years I've found that slower is always better if you want cells to last, regardless of battery chemistry.
I'll be sticking to a max 1c with mine, buying with my own money and plan to keep it for a while.

totaly get your point but its like saying the 0-62 time is 7.7 but never beats 9.6. Ok you might not need 7.7 all the time but its what you have paid for right

totaly get your point but its like saying the 0-62 time is 7.7 but never beats 9.6. Ok you might not need 7.7 all the time but its what you have paid for right
True, they do indeed seem to be peddling porkies regarding the LFP max charge rate, they were probably wary of slow sales of that model if they came clean.

True, they do indeed seem to be peddling porkies regarding the LFP max charge rate, they were probably wary of slow sales of that model if they came clean.
Interesting comment on how to obtain that 117kwh charging capacity:

Attachments

• 3D6BA98F-D1D2-49F6-9C32-DA50E2753EB1.png
    3D6BA98F-D1D2-49F6-9C32-DA50E2753EB1.png
    713.7 KB · Views: 138
Hi all, piggybacking on this thread to ask if any of you have tested a CCS peak charging rate for an SE LFP at 10%-80% SoC?
I'm a French member and other French users/owners on French forums have started testing on Tesla Superchagers, however , no data from a 10%-80% charging curve, only starting at a 15% soC. Also, they never achieved more than a 70 kW peak charge rate, a far cry from the advertised 117 kW.
Another French reviewer had a SE LFP model peak at 84kW on a Ionity at 35% SoC...
There is currently no real-world data confirming the official 117kW peak charge rate and I'm getting concerned.
If you guys could help me clarify this, that'd be awesome.
Cheers from Bordeaux, France.
I am from Turkey, I have SR and never exceed 70kw

It is well known that one of the drawbacks of LFP is charge rate. Maybe it can achieve the advertised rate under ideal conditions but it was misleading to advertise it as something owners could expect.
Don’t think the SR was ever designed to hit 117kw. The new Phase 2 cars in there marketing says it has speeds up to 88kw.

Attachments

• IMG_5593.png
    IMG_5593.png
    603.4 KB · Views: 50

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member