CCS charging

mkp1969

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Anyone else seen charging speeds over 135kW on their LR or Trophy?

IMG20221017145256.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, very impressive. It's just a shame that there are not many chargers around capable of this kind of power. Most of the time we'll be stuck charging at ~80kW on Gridserve/MFG/Instavolt etc.

Very impressive charging speeds for a budget car, in fact it looks like the charging curve beats some of the higher priced cars.
I used a BP 150kw rapid charger based at a petrol station (I know!) yesterday and in the time it took me to buy a pack of crisps and a drink (short queue) my car went from 24% to 63%. This makes it far more usable on long journeys than my previous Zoe (22kw AC Max where available).
It only took a little longer to hit 80% (208 miles range indicated).
Very pleased with it so far.

Hi all, piggybacking on this thread to ask if any of you have tested a CCS peak charging rate for an SE LFP at 10%-80% SoC?
I'm a French member and other French users/owners on French forums have started testing on Tesla Superchagers, however , no data from a 10%-80% charging curve, only starting at a 15% soC. Also, they never achieved more than a 70 kW peak charge rate, a far cry from the advertised 117 kW.
Another French reviewer had a SE LFP model peak at 84kW on a Ionity at 35% SoC...
There is currently no real-world data confirming the official 117kW peak charge rate and I'm getting concerned.
If you guys could help me clarify this, that'd be awesome.
Cheers from Bordeaux, France.

Hi all, piggybacking on this thread to ask if any of you have tested a CCS peak charging rate for an SE LFP at 10%-80% SoC?
I'm a French member and other French users/owners on French forums have started testing on Tesla Superchagers, however , no data from a 10%-80% charging curve, only starting at a 15% soC. Also, they never achieved more than a 70 kW peak charge rate, a far cry from the advertised 117 kW.
Another French reviewer had a SE LFP model peak at 84kW on a Ionity at 35% SoC...
There is currently no real-world data confirming the official 117kW peak charge rate and I'm getting concerned.
If you guys could help me clarify this, that'd be awesome.
Cheers from Bordeaux, France.
My partner has an SE SR and the best we've seen it do is 84kw. That was on the exact same charger from the photo I started this thread with.

I have an LFP - only fast charged twice.

The first was a FastNed from c.20% to 80% - started at 67kW then dropped linearly to around 28kW by 80%. I then travelled c.60 miles and drove around some country roads I know well, arriving at an Ionity charger, where it only charged at c.35kW - which was enough to take me to 50% for the drive home and a long slow granny charge for 24 hours.

It has literally only had two charge cycles from new, so I'm rather assuming the battery is 'learning' and the BMS is optimising during the early charge cycles, plus it might be that it simply doesn't like repeated fast charging. Time will tell.

Overall I'm entirely comfortable with this, as it certainly charges faster than my previous i3 - though that would maintain a rate of 45kW all the way to c.85-90% - so LFP's appear to throttle the charging rate more linearly.

This may improve with time and / or software updates.

Hi folks, appreciate your feedback and data reports. I'm concerned tbh.
@Sparkles point about the BMS is kinda moot imho, as Tesla Model 3 LFP do not have any issue of throttle fast charging in their early stage of use.
This is actually a big issue to me and other French owners if the advertised peak charge rate is untrue.
We keep gathering some real-world data on our end but i'm very thankful for your feedback as well.

IF you dare to venture into French forum territory with google translate, here is our thread on MG4 SE SR LFP peak Charging rate investigation : Standard LFP : vos courbes et pics de charge en DC (charge rapide)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back