CCS charging

Don’t think the SR was ever designed to hit 117kw. The new Phase 2 cars in there marketing says it has speeds up to 88kw.
I think they have adjusted the marketing to match the reality. But it may be that they thought it could do 117kW but they never enabled that in software (reliability concerns?) or it required ideal conditions that never occur.

We don't really know.

I think they have adjusted the marketing to match the reality. But it may be that they thought it could do 117kW but they never enabled that in software (reliability concerns?) or it required ideal conditions that never occur.

We don't really know.
Yeah because it is hitting the estimate charge time just never met the project max speed… I suppose the charge time is the more important part too

I have to say that I'm perfectly happy with the speed of charge on my SR battery. At the local rapid charger (nominally 52 Kw) where the time limit is 54 minutes, that time will get me 65% battery fill if I start low. When I used motorway chargers (also 50 Kw) the car was filling up faster than I could eat my toastie and find the loos. On one, I sat in the car for a wee while before unplugging because I wanted to listen to what was on the radio. I didn't time it or anything, but I was still seeing the SoC click up 92-93-94-95 quite quickly. Another time I left it on the local charger for 53 minutes when it started at 61%. It was at 98% when I unplugged it, so I'd got 37% in the time even at a high starting SoC.

I won't say no to 88 Kw, but since most of my charging is done at home (granny charger with or without a boost of fast-food from the local rapid charger), charging speed just isn't an issue except on infrequent road trips - where I'm not likely to be in a huge hurry. I'll happily go off and have lunch and leave the car to it.

I'm not sure people who opt for the SR are that fussed about peak charging speeds. If it's a big issue for someone I think they'd probably have gone for the LR in the first place.

We don't really know.
Publicity is designed, planned & paid for and signed off well before the car is actually launched. so probably at that time the software guys had the charge curve with a 117kw max but maybe a quick drop off. but by the time of actual launch they had improved and got the charge curve much straighter and consistant before it droped off, so now instead of a quick ramp to 117 then quickly dropping to 80, 50, 40, 20, etc now it ramps to 80 and stays there until very late in the charge which would be better for the batteries longevity, but doesn't change the actual time to charge to 80 percent as i believe that hasn't change from the original publicity to the new.

Publicity is designed, planned & paid for and signed off well before the car is actually launched. so probably at that time the software guys had the charge curve with a 117kw max but maybe a quick drop off. but by the time of actual launch they had improved and got the charge curve much straighter and consistant before it droped off, so now instead of a quick ramp to 117 then quickly dropping to 80, 50, 40, 20, etc now it ramps to 80 and stays there until very late in the charge which would be better for the batteries longevity, but doesn't change the actual time to charge to 80 percent as i believe that hasn't change from the original publicity to the new.
Could well be.

A battery that goes on charging at 80 until very late in the charge is to my mind better than one that charges like a blue streak at 10% but then falls off. How often do we actually let the car go down to 10% before charging? I suspect most charging (in contrast to Dave's exhortations) is done starting at a relatively high SoC.

Any rapid DC charger >50kW will be tethered (cable attached) whereas any AC chargers (up to 44kW) normally need you to supply the type 2 lead

I have got a maximum of 64kw out of a 150kw charger starting at around 23% to get to 70ish %. Best I can get out of rapid chargers it seems.

Attached is the charging curve (red line) for the SE SR MG4

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1683643817651.jpg
    FB_IMG_1683643817651.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 69
I haven't watched it when it started really low. Just a couple of times I was footering around the car before disconnecting at over 90% and thought, even this charge speed is worth having if you're not in a huge hurry.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back