CCS charging

Yes. I agree. My SESR is close to arrival and if it doesn’t charge at the speed advertised it will be going back until it does. It might not be a problem now but on a long journey you will feel that extra wait for sure

You know what - i just realized the highest reported charging speed for the LFP MG4 is 87kw.
The reported and advertised charging speed for the MG5 LFP is 87kw.
So, is the advertised 117kw for the MG4 a typo?
Or does it "just" has the wrong BMS (of the MG5) ?

Hi Afterburner et al.

I've just done a little experiment with my SE SR - I travelled at pace on the motorway, then came back via country roads, stopping at a Fastned 350kW. It was 7 degrees centigrade, and I went from 15% to 85% in c.42 minutes, peaking at 82kWh. I stopped at a village once I came off the motorway to enable 'Intelligent Battery Charging'.

THE KEY THING IS TO PREPARE FOR FASTCHARGING...

1. Go to the Charging Panel from the Home screen >
2. then the 'Energy Consumption' panel >
3. then press 'Intelligent Battery Charging' so that it is on.

This warms up the battery to be at the optimum temperature to accept fast charging. It also uses energy to do this, so best done when one is close to a fast charger. I did it about 10 minutes before I arrived at the Fastned station.

I'm guessing with more planning and warmer weather, plus a lower state of charge on arrival, the charging speed would be closer to the quoted figures. Will continue to collate date.

Screenshot attached - it appears to step down the charging rate at 60% and at 80%. Still faster than the i3, which is my point of reference.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-03 at 21.42.11.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-03 at 21.42.11.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 957
Hi Afterburner et al.

I've just done a little experiment with my SE SR - I travelled at pace on the motorway, then came back via country roads, stopping at a Fastned 350kW. It was 7 degrees centigrade, and I went from 15% to 85% in c.42 minutes, peaking at 82kWh. I stopped at a village once I came off the motorway to enable 'Intelligent Battery Charging'.

This warms up the battery to be at the optimum temperature to accept fast charging. It also uses energy to do this, so best done when one is close to a fast charger. I did it about 10 minutes before I arrived at the Fastned station.

I'm guessing with more planning and warmer weather, plus a lower state of charge on arrival, the charging speed would be closer to the quoted figures. Will continue to collate date.

Screenshot attached - it appears to step down the charging rate at 60% and at 80%. Still faster than the i3, which is my point of reference.
That’s still 25% slower than advertised.

Hi Afterburner et al.

Thanks so much for the in-depth charging procedures, battery pre-conditioning, and provided charging curve, this is, I believe the very first charging rate I've seen online about the SE SR, world-wide. This info is crucial. Thanks a bunch @Sparkles !
The very very big concern I have is that the LFP battery pack in the SE SR has the exact same cell from CATL used in the Tesla Model 3 LFP models.
And we know these EVs charge up to 140kW and above on Tesla SuCs with no issue , even at lower external temp in winter. It looks like there might be a problem from the MG side here and their BMS.
That’s still 25% slower than advertised.
I'm afraid it's looking more and more like a case of false advertising...

I'm gonna report your valuable findings to the French community, some owners might gonna be very spiteful...

@Tig170 is also gonna test his SE SR on a 150kW CCS charger in the next few days and will report his findings.

Thanks so much for your help guys, I'm happy we can cross information between us in order to get a bigger picture of what's going on with this model. True pan-Europen cooperation :)

sorry i call BS until proven otherwise. If a tesla using the same chemistry can rock up and charge at closer to max speeds then thats not fair. It cant be a coincidence that the max rate on the MG5 is exactly the same right?

sorry i call BS until proven otherwise. If a tesla using the same chemistry can rock up and charge at closer to max speeds then thats not fair. It cant be a coincidence that the max rate on the MG5 is exactly the same right?
Unlikely to be coincidence. Could be software limited to the same as MG5 while they debug faster rates, or even that they forgot to update this part of the software.

well as i said, it is really strange that the charge rate of the mg5 and lfp mg4 and pretty much identical.
i assume that it is just marketing and therefore misleading
you got to have the right temperature and under the ideal circumstances like air pressure and only on mondays and thursdays you should achieve the peak charging rate???
meanwhile the nmc mg4 can charge at max speed without efforts - somehow i feel mislead and cheated

well as i said, it is really strange that the charge rate of the mg5 and lfp mg4 and pretty much identical.
i assume that it is just marketing and therefore misleading
you got to have the right temperature and under the ideal circumstances like air pressure and only on mondays and thursdays you should achieve the peak charging rate???
meanwhile the nmc mg4 can charge at max speed without efforts - somehow i feel mislead and cheated
You are right to feel like that... we are just speculating on cause into the great MG communication vacuum. Hopefully someone with the problem can escalate this via their dealer to get an answer.

I've read some reports that the Model 3 LFP are showing surprisingly large degradation, maybe pushing batteries towards 3c in charging is not for the best despite the convenience ?
Could be that the balancing is just out of whack on those cars though, LFP is a bit odd that way, due to the flatter voltage curve.
Personally, if my SR ever arrives (or if I don't cancel my order due to the worrying faults mounting up ) I plan to only ever charge at 50kw on a trip in the interests of battery longevity.

An extra 20 mins really doesn't bother me for the few times a year I take a longer journey, if you do it regularly I can understand the frustration though.

I made a spreadsheet to help me decide which model to take putting a value on all of the different options and fell on the SE SR. Had i known the charge speed was a lot lower i would 100% have gone for the LR. Its not too late to cancel but i want to know the facts

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 525 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back