• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

CCS rapid charge issues on zs-any one else?

To be honest that garage has probably is a waste of time. how far is the next nearest?
This was my thoughts already tbh. The dealership i 1st used has access to some 50kw chargers within 3mins of there site but they claim the cannot let the mechanics off site until i advised they go off site to test run cars and then they went quite.

This was my thoughts already tbh. The dealership i 1st used has access to some 50kw chargers within 3mins of there site but they claim the cannot let the mechanics off site until i advised they go off site to test run cars and then they went quite.
They wouldn't consider this to be 'testing'?
I would be on to MG UK, and or Stoneacre management. I wouldn't give them my business. I hate people taking the piss, especially on a NOT cheap car

Thanks Andy that's super let's see what they do and great as a result.
Hi,

As an update the charging port has been changed, I drove to the nearest CCS DC and still not working. AC charged fine on same charger. Informed my dealership who will ask MG what they need to do next! They did say the MG5 they had in for weeks and weeks with a similar problem is now fixed having had the control unit replaced (that car wouldn't charge at all AC or DC) ! I think my car is about to have its control unit replaced! Seems MG are advising replace part at a time starting with the cheapest!

Andy

Hi,

As an update the charging port has been changed, I drove to the nearest CCS DC and still not working. AC charged fine on same charger. Informed my dealership who will ask MG what they need to do next! They did say the MG5 they had in for weeks and weeks with a similar problem is now fixed having had the control unit replaced (that car wouldn't charge at all AC or DC) ! I think my car is about to have its control unit replaced! Seems MG are advising replace part at a time starting with the cheapest!

Andy
Thanks andy.
I was hoping that would sort the issue but it looks more complicated 😟Mine is booked in again for the 29th and hopefully they are going to do a proper inspection but only after i pushed them and also contacted mg customer services.

Thanks andy.
I was hoping that would sort the issue but it looks more complicated 😟Mine is booked in again for the 29th and hopefully they are going to do a proper inspection but only after i pushed them and also contacted mg customer services.
Good luck, it feels like we both need it!🙄

#update# car has been at the dealership it 1st went to and they had the car for nearly 3 days. They said they never plugged in the car to a ccs charger but they found the 12v battery was low and number of error codes were picked up so they deleted them and said they are confident they will sort the rapid charge issue. I told them the AA guy and you guys on the 1st visit checked dor codes then and nothing came up. I told them it was most likely the 12v battery was low because they have left the door open for a long time and the lights etc have drained the 12v battery- they did not know what to say and then tried to nicely get rid of me.
I took the car to 1of 3 ccs chargers 3mins away and guess what it does not work!(charger was fine- another car just used it.) Rang dealers straight back and told them to create a technical report with mg which they agreed to and hopefully i might get somewhere now as this dealership is useless.

P.s happy new year all.
Thanks for the update. I am expecting to be called back in to my dealership to have the charging control unit replace. I am hoping that considering a similar issue on another vehicle which resulted in a fix when done, will also result in a fix for my (our) issue also! Here is hoping!
Andy

Less than rare, always charge at home. I did use when I first got the vehicle whilst awaiting home charger installation and it worked. It has had a service and software update in meantime and when I went to use on a long trip found it didn't work anymore! Vehicle is in garage at mome
nt and wonder if the software update mucked things up. Doesn't communicate with CCS at all and on type 2 rapid only at 7kw max(no matter what the charge rate of charger is).
Type 2 the max it can do is 7kw so no fault there...

#update# car has been at the dealership it 1st went to and they had the car for nearly 3 days. They said they never plugged in the car to a ccs charger but they found the 12v battery was low and number of error codes were picked up so they deleted them and said they are confident they will sort the rapid charge issue. I told them the AA guy and you guys on the 1st visit checked dor codes then and nothing came up. I told them it was most likely the 12v battery was low because they have left the door open for a long time and the lights etc have drained the 12v battery- they did not know what to say and then tried to nicely get rid of me.
I took the car to 1of 3 ccs chargers 3mins away and guess what it does not work!(charger was fine- another car just used it.) Rang dealers straight back and told them to create a technical report with mg which they agreed to and hopefully i might get somewhere now as this dealership is useless.
I think I'd ditch them Jamlam - they sound rubbish and a complete waste of your time - I know 50 miles is a faff but you might actually get someone who knows their arse from their elbow at least...

Have you logged your poor customer service from Stoneacre on the dealerships page of this forum so that people know to beware?

update I have been to the local new dealer in my area which is good that I don't have to travel an hour and more to get to it any more! I have waited a few weeks to get it in regarding my CCS 50kw charger issue and they checked things like tyres and coolant etc which I was not really interested in or asked for and then they spent what seemed to be a second on the issue of my CCS charger not locking in or charging and then said I did not provide the CCS cable charger in the car for them to test the car with and they did not have one in the workshop to test the vehicle with.
Alarm bells were then ringing that this MG dealer ship had staff working on the EV cars that had no training as they did not know that I cannot supply a CCS 50kw charger cable and they had to go to a rapid charger installation if they did not have one on site.
I then had to explain the difference in charging speeds and cable differences and basically the service staff and the mechanic at this large dealership chain had no idea about the EVs they were selling. ( not a new experience)
The service staff then tried to resolve the issue (get rid of me) by telling me that they plan to get a rapid charger fitted in some months on the site and i should look at calling in to see when it is installed so the dealership then can hook up the car and see what the CCS charger issue was. I advise that could be 6-12 months before it is installed or more and the service desk understood i saw through the lies. I then advised again that this was an issue with other MG EV's aswell and they have taken the car to a rapid charger just to confirm what the owner is complaining about.
The service staff then finally said they will get in touch with MG and ask them for advice on how to fix/look into the matter if they have had other reports as well. I'm not holding my breath as I still think it was a ploy to get me out the service area but lets hope i'm wrong. watch this space.
I see you are in East Mids, it isn't Leicester MG you are going to is it?

So the mg dealership has put a a technical report in over a week ago(so they tell me) to try to get mg to assist them with the issue i m just awaiting mg to get back to them now.

So the mg dealership has put a a technical report in over a week ago(so they tell me) to try to get mg to assist them with the issue i m just awaiting mg to get back to them now.
Mine is back in again fyi. Leads checked and needs to be driven back to a rapid charger with their laptop plugged in again. Hope this is going to happen today. They now have another MG ZS EV that will not charge at all with no idea why not and an MG 5 that has never charged and has been in for weeks and weeks with no resolution (thought that one had been sorted but hadn't). Starting to loose a bit of confidence about fault finding and resolution with these!

FIXED! MG advised disconnection and reconnection of certain leads linked to the HV system. Went with mechanic to Fast DC charger today and it charged, much to the mechanic and my surprise. I asked the mechanic to disclose which leads were involved to pass on, but said as on HV system would not disclose and said please get mechanic from your dealership to call him to discuss. They need to speak to Steve at A E. WILCOX in Wickwar, Gloucestershire. Just one note, they also disconnected the 12 v battery which if left disconnected for more than 20 minutes can slso reset all modules. May want to try that yourself just in case but mechanic convinced it was the HV leads!

My garage got two Trophy demonstrators. One that I bought - and it is once again in the garage to try to sort out the software - and one that couldn't be used because there was something wrong with the car's charging point. (When I collect my car I will try to ask what the fix for the charging point issue was). With regard to my car I have been shown a list covering two pages of the garage's communications with MG about the problems. It must be quite busy at MG headquarters.

You could try disconnecting the 12v battery and wait aa bit then reconnect?

FIXED! MG advised disconnection and reconnection of certain leads linked to the HV system. Went with mechanic to Fast DC charger today and it charged, much to the mechanic and my surprise. I asked the mechanic to disclose which leads were involved to pass on, but said as on HV system would not disclose and said please get mechanic from your dealership to call him to discuss. They need to speak to Steve at A E. WILCOX in Wickwar, Gloucestershire. Just one note, they also disconnected the 12 v battery which if left disconnected for more than 20 minutes can slso reset all modules. May want to try that yourself just in case but mechanic convinced it was the HV leads!

That is awesome -it finally works!! Many thanks for the update. I will try the 12v first and see how i get on. If not i will get them to get intouch with the wickwar branch. So glad you are sorted😊

So i gave Wilcox garage telephone number to my mg dealership and they gave me the impression they would contact wilcox to find out how to fix my car. It turns out they lied to me and are now saying they are waiting for mg to reply to them to take the next step. Not happy and wasted time.

@Jamlam - did you get it fixed in the end as well?

We've had our new ZS EV for a few weeks, and after initially getting 8kWh out of a CCS on its first ever charge have never successfully gotten a CCS charge since, having now tried 5 chargepoints. What struck me is that we also only typically charge from home using the trickle mains-plug charger ('granny charger' 😆) overnight. I can't see any reason why that should be a factor, but I can't fail why it wouldn't work either.

Dreading a protracted to-and-fro with dealership, but hoping I can at least point them towards this thread and maybe also the solution @Andy Poole got through Wickwar.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom