central screen not coming on when getting in car it stayed black

Anyone else had the emergency braking activate when turning by a parked vehicle. Its happened twice now. Thankfully no one was behind. Threw my dogs off the back seat, luckily their both clipped in

I've had an audible warning a couple of times, but the braking didn't activate.

You can't but you can set up the lefthand star button to alter driving settings so you just have to press the star button to get to eco. Trophy you can anyways.

Good spot. I think you can do that in the SE too, although that's remembered hearsay from Siteguru.

No you can't - left Star button only does Android Auto call-up or something else*; it doesn't do regen or drive mode - that's Trophy-only.

* I think the other option is to call up the menu you see if you pull down from the top of the screen

Last edited:
It doesn't take long. Everyone seems to have their own pre-flight routine and it probably doesn't take as long as 30 seconds. It just seems longer! But you get used to it. It's a problem with all new cars, not just EVs. I think the higher-spec ones have a way to store specific settings for specific drivers, but we ain't gonna get that on the MG4, not at that price.
Sorry, but this is a lame excuse. I love my MG4 but those small glitches like not booting u correctly or not saving the default setting are by no means justified by the price. (By the way, did anyone try the MP3 player on the standard model? No folders, no albums, this is was literally 20 years behind.)
No one should fumble around every time at start up - even if it´s only 30 sec.
Again, the MG4 is a great car, but some software is plain sloppy. Less features on a cheap car? Fine with that. A low price is no excuse for bad software.

I absolutely agree with you, but unless or until we have software fixes for these things, we have only two choices. Use the work-rounds and get bent out of shape about it, or use the work-rounds and develop a relaxed attitude to them. I choose the latter.

Don't start me on the USB folders thing. Although even with the folders, Trophy owners are still having to rename their tracks I think. My 14 year old Golf could read iPod playlists.

Anyone else had the emergency braking activate when turning by a parked vehicle. Its happened twice now. Thankfully no one was behind. Threw my dogs off the back seat, luckily their both clipped in
Had to manoeuvre into a right turn at traffic lights, straight on were stationary. Plenty of clearance. Car slammed hard stop. Made us jump.

I'm not having this issue at all now. Yes, sometimes the screen takes a little while to boot up, but while it's doing it I can do what I like (including drive off) and I don't get any error messages.

I wonder if it's something new cars "grow out of"?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back