central screen not coming on when getting in car it stayed black

steve69er

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi guys I’m new to group so apologies if I’m not doing this right. A couple of times when I get into my car the central screen that does heaters radio car play etc has not come on all the way 2 work. I had to hold home button for a while I think it reboot it. My car mg4 23 plate for the model. Ty in advance and any feedback. Thanks guys

Yep, known bug, likely a software issue. Some think it’s a result of putting the car into Ready Mode, before it’s properly wakened up, in other words, try not to press the brake pedal until you see that screen start to boot up.

Ok thank you this group so useful. My car only has 700 mile on the clock . I have had the screen error and the charging bar turning orange and a error message saying auto hold fault. But this group explained it so well. All my faults say it can be be starting car before it’s ready so maybe that is what I’m doing so I be patient. Thanks for all feed back team very grateful 👍

Ok thank you this group so useful. My car only has 700 mile on the clock . I have had the screen error and the charging bar turning orange and an error message saying auto hold fault. But this group explained it so well. All my faults say it can be be starting car before it’s ready so maybe that is what I’m doing so I be patient. Thanks for all feed back team very grateful 👍
Yes, a lot of the issues are software bugs, and some appear to be related to the system’s slow start up. Hopefully most will be addressed in future updates, but it may take a while for it to happen.

The auto hold fault is linked to the screen not booting in time, or in the correct sequence. A reboot of the infotainment or a lock / unlock of the car resolves it.

I’ve had the screen and auto hold error less than half a dozen times in the first 2.6k miles. Frustrating when it happens, but not really a problem as it’s easily sorted. I’d actually be happy to put up with it if they would work on some other aspects - better LKA, or shortcuts to disable it quicker, and some silly issues with the radio switching to CarPlay then not switching back from the steering wheel for example. All definitely software bugs…

Hi guys I’m new to group so apologies if I’m not doing this right. A couple of times when I get into my car the central screen that does heaters radio car play etc has not come on all the way 2 work. I had to hold home button for a while I think it reboot it. My car mg4 23 plate for the model. Ty in advance and any feedback. Thanks guys
Happened twice to me. It will just sort itself out of you leave the car for awhile. Or you can just hold the home button on the infotainment system, after around 20 seconds you will hear a chime and the system will just reset and come back on.

Yes there is glitches but sometimes I do jump in car and fire it up before it says ready so I will not do it anymore and see how it goes. Amazing support in here . A really top quality group. I was going to use manufacture warrrinty to check the issues out but seeing all useful info in here I’m more relaxed so I will stop stressing . Do updates when they come happen automatically or is it something I need to do. 🤜

Yes there is glitches but sometimes I do jump in car and fire it up before it says ready so I will not do it anymore and see how it goes. Amazing support in here . A really top quality group. I was going to use manufacture warrrinty to check the issues out but seeing all useful info in here I’m more relaxed so I will stop stressing . Do updates when they come happen automatically or is it something I need to do. 🤜
I think generally they will be performed either if you have a major issue or at the time of a service. I believe only an MG dealerships can perform the upgrades. I have no idea just what I have read.

It has only happened to me once, several weeks ago. I drove the car across the road then locked it again (I was intending to do that anyway) and when I went back to get it all was well. I do find that the time the car takes to get the central screen booted up and ready to go is quite variable though. This evening it was slow, but I just waited for it as I was in no hurry. I suspect if you just drive off it will get there in the end, but you need it on to kill LKA, so there's that.

I suspect if you just drive off it will get there in the end,
It does. It happened to me this morning. The infotainment screen stayed blank for about one minute as I drove off down the road before it started booting up then it behaved normally.

I wonder after a certain number of starts it needs to boot up from a totally off state as opposed to from stand-by.

My impression is that it's random. Sometimes it's amazingly quick, sometimes it's slow (to varying values of "slow") and just very occasionally it's so slow that it seems as if it's never going to happen.

I don't think you can. I think you have to set these parameters every time you replace your bum on the seat.

Something about the car not knowing that it's the same driver, so going back to default settings.

It doesn't take long. Everyone seems to have their own pre-flight routine and it probably doesn't take as long as 30 seconds. It just seems longer! But you get used to it. It's a problem with all new cars, not just EVs. I think the higher-spec ones have a way to store specific settings for specific drivers, but we ain't gonna get that on the MG4, not at that price.

I tend to press volume knob for long tim, until screen resets and comes back to life. Works every time.

Anyone else had the emergency braking activate when turning by a parked vehicle. Its happened twice now. Thankfully no one was behind. Threw my dogs off the back seat, luckily their both clipped in
I have quickly learned through this forum to switch that off as part of my pre flight checks

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back