Charging at Tesla Chargepoints

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I seem to be having a real brain failure whilst trying to plan for if I need to use a Tesla chargepoint (if there's one near) whilst on holiday.

I've downloaded the Tesla App (called Tessie?) and have made an account (I think!). I don't see any option for charging though, whether with a non-Tesla or not.

There's a sign on page - so I sign on​
I get sent a verification code - I enter that​
I then get a page that says "Greatness awaits (🤭) Link your Tesla account to continue" - ah, my what????​
I select the menu "hamburger" and...nope, nothing there about charging.​

So...what the %^&* do I have to do - apart from consoling myself with the thought that there's probably not an MG friendly chargepoint en route anyway.

Tesla app, like the one topp right in this screenshot?

Attachments

• 20230616_164055.jpg
    20230616_164055.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 156
I have the 'Tesla' App - on the Home screen it has the Charge your Non Tesla - I cant recall - So I assume it was how I set it up as a non Tesla Owner to be able to see that ?

Whats your route - roughly - Bristol to =
I see Cardiff and Newport /// Reading / Guildford

So a few more SuperChargers since I last looked

You have downloaded the wrong app. The app you want is surprisingly called 'Tesla'

I seem to be having a real brain failure whilst trying to plan for if I need to use a Tesla chargepoint (if there's one near) whilst on holiday.

I've downloaded the Tesla App (called Tessie?) and have made an account (I think!). I don't see any option for charging though, whether with a non-Tesla or not.

There's a sign on page - so I sign on​
I get sent a verification code - I enter that​
I then get a page that says "Greatness awaits (🤭) Link your Tesla account to continue" - ah, my what????​
I select the menu "hamburger" and...nope, nothing there about charging.​

So...what the %^&* do I have to do - apart from consoling myself with the thought that there's probably not an MG friendly chargepoint en route anyway.
You have downloaded the wrong app. The one I have downloaded is called Tesla and when I look at my phone regarding what apps i
have it is there with the Tesla badge in white on a red background

Are there many Tesla charger open to non-tesla cars?
I don’t think they are all open to non Tesla vehicles but they may do if they think they are missing out on some revenue. The nearest to me that it is open to non Tesla’s according to the app is Harrogate

You have downloaded the wrong app. The app you want is surprisingly called 'Tesla'

That would probably explain it!

I don’t think they are all open to non Tesla vehicles but they may do if they think they are missing out on some revenue. The nearest to me that it is open to non Tesla’s according to the app is Harrogate
Coincidentally enough, that's the one I'd most likely to need if necessary. @KH11 have you ever used it?

Coincidentally enough, that's the one I'd most likely to need if necessary. @KH11 have you ever used it?
No I haven’t I have only had my car a week and I have been charging at home either from Solar or on the Octopus Go off peak. I learnt about the Tesla charger possibilities via YouTube with Dave Takes it on.

1 place with 6 stalls South of Harrogate (5 not ocupied now) open for non Teslas. Pictures is screenshots from my Tesla app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230616-183242_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230616-183242_Tesla.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
use tesla.com/findus

1686938422698.png

Its now upto 22 superchargers - the only issue I've ever had is finding out which is the charger number (the label is sometimes at ground level) - also checkout slower free destination charging (via zap map)- the signs with the white background are for any EV (red is tesla only)

I used the Harrogate Superchargers on the Saturday of Fully Charged North to ensure I had enough range to return home on Sunday.

The charging experience itself was entirely painless, even for the Tesla drivers present, as the MG4's charge port is in the correct location for Tesla chargers, you won't block 2 chargers like the VW ID4 that was already charging when I arrived.

The only pain I had was having to set up the Tesla app on the spot, as the store wifi only reaches halfway across the car park. Going inside the air-conditioned shop fixed that. What tripped me up is that you can't use the word "tesla" in your account email address.*

* I have my own internet domain name, so when signing up for commercial stuffs, I always use a "them@me" email format. Tesla wouldn't let me use "tesla@me", so they're now "nikola@me" ;)

I used the Tesla chargers at the Liberty Shopping Centre in Romford recently. Planning the night before, I could see them available on the Tesla app, then the following morning at 9am they were not showing at all. I guessed perhaps not available at peak time, kept checking the app and they reappeared for me at 10am. I couldn’t find anywhere any information on what time restrictions there where for non Tesla users, anyone noticed the same?

Charging experience was flawless apart from the ridiculously short cable.

I used the Tesla chargers at the Liberty Shopping Centre in Romford recently. Planning the night before, I could see them available on the Tesla app, then the following morning at 9am they were not showing at all. I guessed perhaps not available at peak time, kept checking the app and they reappeared for me at 10am. I couldn’t find anywhere any information on what time restrictions there where for non Tesla users, anyone noticed the same?

Charging experience was flawless apart from the ridiculously short cable.
There are no time restrictions for non-Tesla. There may be time restrictions for everyone at some locations such as shopping centres. It's worth casting your eye on the situation in mainland Europe for a glimpse of the future here. All superchargers are open to everyone in Holland and more than half in the likes of France and Germany. The direction of travel is obvious. The UK is behind because Tesla struggles to get access to sites with sufficient power and its network is under more strain here.

In the Netherlands Tesla offers fast-charging for non-Tesla drivers at an attractive rate. Cables are a bit short, but it works fine.

There are no time restrictions for non-Tesla. There may be time restrictions for everyone at some locations such as shopping centres. It's worth casting your eye on the situation in mainland Europe for a glimpse of the future here. All superchargers are open to everyone in Holland and more than half in the likes of France and Germany. The direction of travel is obvious. The UK is behind because Tesla struggles to get access to sites with sufficient power and its network is under more strain here.
It was a weekday, first time I’d used the Tesla app. The previous evening at 9pm I saw lots of London locations on the app but in the morning, almost all disappeared. Then at 10am they returned, I was checking constantly. Perhaps some one off wierdness then, I’d assumed it was an off peak thing 🤷🏼‍♂️

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back