Baldytone

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi all, Could someone please help me, in the battery section there is a charging current limit button = 6a, 8a, 16a, ac current. Which one do I set it to? Does it matter if you are charging with a slow or rapid charger? And does it stay as set or go to default when switched off? Thank

It's not going to affect rapid charging at all, as that's DC not AC.

It's for use with AC charging to protect your system from too high a current draw over a long period, and is probably more relevant for granny charging where setting it at a lower level will help avoid plug overheating.

But if you're using the MG granny lead then it should automatically set the charge current. I just leave mine set at Maximum in the car, even if using the granny. :)

By 'Maximum', siteguru means the 'ac current' setting. As siteguru says the car will set the charge current as it needs up to the rated level of the granny charger. (Approx 8 amps giving 1.9 to 2kW indicated on the App.)

Hi all, Could someone please help me, in the battery section there is a charging current limit button = 6a, 8a, 16a, ac current. Which one do I set it to? Does it matter if you are charging with a slow or rapid charger? And does it stay as set or go to default when switched off? Thank

As others have said, this affects AC charging only. If you use a wallbox, you can leave this on maximum.

If you use a granny charger, this gives you the option to limit the current to a lower level.

Why would you want to do that?

To keep things safe if you are using an older electrical installation or a limited power supply: in some countries people pay more for their electricity depending on the max current draw and so having the car charge at maximum granny speed can overload the system.

If you use a granny without a dedicated socket that is on its own protected circuit, it is a good idea to limit the maximum current so you don't overload the wiring or the total capacity on that circuit.

I use 10A at home when I'm awake, 8A when we are asleep or at somebodies else's house and 6A if I visit a caravan or somewhere else with limited power.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 517 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back