Charging Issue MG4 Trophy Long Range

DavidB54

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hello; my MG4 Trophy isn't charging correctly on our Home Charger
1. We have a timed tariff from 12.30 am until 4.30am.
2. In that period, my MG4 charged 7 kWh
3. In the same period, my wife's MGZS EV charged 20kwh.
4. Charger and cable identical and of course the time was the same

Anyone got any ideas or thoughts?

Many thanks

DavidB

What percentage did it start and stop at?
Did you have a schedule set on the MG4?

On the car ... click the Battery tile from the Home screen and then check what the Charging Current (or whatever it is similarly called) is set to. Personally I just leave it at Maximum and let the charge point (wall box or granny lead) sort it all out.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 17.55.09.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 17.55.09.png
    706.3 KB · Views: 78
The car has 3 phase charging, but my home charger is single phase, so I leave the little plastic plug in on the lower 2 pin socket when charging at home and only remove it and use the lower plug when using public rapid charging points.

The car has 3 phase charging, but my home charger is single phase, so I leave the little plastic plug in on the lower 2 pin socket when charging at home and only remove it and use the lower plug when using public rapid charging points.
The two pins under the cover at the bottom are for DC charging (public Rapid chargers). Look at the seven holes of the upper socket. In the right hand picture the lower two! Marked L2 & L3, are blank (no pins). That is single phase. If your car has pins in L2 & L3 you have 3 phase and should read that other thread.

It started at 22% and it ended about 24-26%. The charger is on a schedule - 12.30 am to 4.30 a m
Seems odd as the maths doesn't work. If it added 7kWh and the car was at 22%, you would expect the battery to be showing around 32%, assuming it's a long range MG4

Mine does the same sometimes. It seems to be related to heavy rain, I think even slight moisture can cause the car to assume an earth fault and stop charging. I also try to keep the cable off the drive ( loop over the door mirror). It's normally OK the next night.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back