Charging point thought

ms6189

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi guys

Just wanted to put out there that geniepoint have been a pain for the past six months since purchasing my vehicle. I find it the worst charging point in terms of customer service and charging points. Best so far instavolt without a doubt

Anybody agree and what are your points on this matter

Instavolt is expensive (even with Bonnet discounts) and I've never managed advertised speeds even in the ideal conditions.

The more powerful Shell chargers and MFG have always given me over 140kw. But Instavolt I've never seen more than 80kw at the peak. I've even had more luck with BP Pulse than Instavolt - there are some powerful ones that have done well over 130kw.

Last edited:
Instavolt have been the only one I have used so I have no comparison, however for the amount of times I need to charge on the go I'm fine with the price, I know what I'm doing and I know that by the time I've had a coffee and a burger I'm going to be good to go

From 15th Jan till 15th Feb if you use a GeniePoint charger using Octopus Electroverse card/app, you get 10p off per kWh

Attachments

• IMG_1698.jpeg
    IMG_1698.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
Osprey, Ionity and EVpoint have been good for me. They are also cheaper than BP (terrible) and Shell (ok) on Electroverse.

Never tried Geniepoint and looking at Zapmap reports I don't think I will bother trying one even with the discount offered....

My choices in order of preference:
Home
Charge Place Scotland (all the local ones are free to use).
Tesla (there are a couple between Edinburgh and Glasgow that I use but one seems to be a secret)
Ionity (discount with an Electroverse card).

Geniepoint are terrible, and my local council have their own chargers throughout the county, called Revive. Guess who provides the infrastructure for Revive. Yep, you guessed it, Geniepoint.

Instavolt have been reliable and fast enough for me. Only had one failure and that was due to a powercut shortly after starting a charge. Have used these the most.

Also used Osprey and they are really good. Sainsburys near to me have their own brand of rapid chargers (lookthe same as Osprey ones) and they just work via contactless, and are fast and doddle to use. Have used PodPoint without grief. Have used other charging networks, but as one offs as part of long journeys. Other than one taking pre-payment before charging, and a couple of days to credit back afterwards , nothing to report.

BP only used once, was a pain to start charging, then cable wouldn't release from car when we finished charging. Had to use the manual release inside the boot.

My choices in order of preference:
Home
Charge Place Scotland (all the local ones are free to use).
Tesla (there are a couple between Edinburgh and Glasgow that I use but one seems to be a secret)
Ionity (discount with an Electroverse card).
I know the one at Eurocentral (at the Dakota hotel) ... which other one? (Not that I'm likely to ever use them - they're too close to home to be worth using).

I know the one at Eurocentral (at the Dakota hotel) ... which other one? (Not that I'm likely to ever use them - they're too close to home to be worth using).
Heartlands. 4 brand new Mk4's so no power sharing like at Dakota. It's on the Tesla website but not in the app so you can't start a charge unless you go through the website and enter all your details each time.

The 2 Genie point rapid charger locations in Worksop have both been extremely unreliable for the last 2 Years. In fact, I can't remember the last time I didn't see the Charge points have a Red Light indicating they're out of action this year... I think I had 2 instances where I started a charge just over a year ago and the they start and cut off after 5-10minutes, dropping to a red state.
When I call them they blame the site operator (ASDA or Morrisons at Worksop) for the problem.
I doubt the site operator are to blame.

The 2 Genie point rapid charger locations in Worksop have both been extremely unreliable for the last 2 Years. In fact, I can't remember the last time I didn't see the Charge points have a Red Light indicating they're out of action this year... I think I had 2 instances where I started a charge just over a year ago and the they start and cut off after 5-10minutes, dropping to a red state.
When I call them they blame the site operator (ASDA or Morrisons at Worksop) for the problem.
I doubt the site operator are to blame.
Well, the one at my local Morrisons has been faulty a few times during the few months I had a free shell recharge fleet card and didn’t care how much it cost.
The few times it wasn’t working was due to users twisting the cable several times and essentially killing it, pressing the emergency stop button to stop a charge when there was no need to, damaging the ports by dropping them when struggling to put them back.
So yes for that one charger I do blame the site operator. 😅
But generally speaking I agree that Genie Point chargers are really seldom reliable.

But generally speaking I agree that Genie Point chargers are really seldom reliable.
Strange that, there are a few Genie (AC) chargers in council car parks on the coast round here and they've never been a problem the few times I've used them. Admittedly I tend to use them when there are no other available parking spaces but you can normally find an EV one and I charge just to be able to park.

In over 4 years of EV driving, the best ones for me have been: Instavolt, Gridserve, Ionity, Pod Point and Osprey - in no particular order. I tried an open Tesla stall in Luton on Saturday (just for the sake of going for a drive in the Xpower and to see how easy they are). Very simple as I already had the Tesla app, 55p/kWh as it was about 8am and connected first time. Would consider using Tesla SCs again if going on a road trip, purely for the price if nothing else.

In over 4 years of EV driving, the best ones for me have been: Instavolt, Gridserve, Ionity, Pod Point and Osprey - in no particular order. I tried an open Tesla stall in Luton on Saturday (just for the sake of going for a drive in the Xpower and to see how easy they are). Very simple as I already had the Tesla app, 55p/kWh as it was about 8am and connected first time. Would consider using Tesla SCs again if going on a road trip, purely for the price if nothing else.
If you use Tesla sites with any regularity, the £10.99 membership is worth a look.
It brings the per kWh price down to the same that Tesla owners pay, so nearer 40-45p/kWh.
I figure the break even point is roughly 3 charges in a month.

Strange that, there are a few Genie (AC) chargers in council car parks on the coast round here and they've never been a problem the few times I've used them. Admittedly I tend to use them when there are no other available parking spaces but you can normally find an EV one and I charge just to be able to park.
I will note however that the Genie Points at ASDA and Morrisons the A/C connection is technically shown as in service/working. This close to home I would never use a public A/C charger (also near me they have parking charges or time restrictions) as I would rather Granny charge at home.

Hi guys

Just wanted to put out there that geniepoint have been a pain for the past six months since purchasing my vehicle. I find it the worst charging point in terms of customer service and charging points. Best so far instavolt without a doubt

Anybody agree and what are your points on this matter
There's a single Geniepoint in a BP petrol station just a few hundred meters off the A30 at Oakhampton. I've been aware of it for the last 18 months and it has always been out of service. Just having a look at ZapMap, they have now removed it from their map.

I only use rapids on beyond range journeys but this one would be very useful as there are none down the A30 between Exeter and the Cornish border a 35-40 mile stretch. This one is off a major trunk route and signed on the roadside as services with EV charging, I can't imagine how many poor souls have wasted their time at this one on their way to Cornwall for their first time in an EV on a holiday run with a car full of kids.

I have to admit whenever I've checked ZapMap at other locations, then if its a Genie, its often a singleton and out of service / offline / issues reported ... What a way to run a business!

In fact Geniepoint's shocking reputation helped me form my early newbie away from home charging strategy, look for the big names (not GP) and a site with 2 at a pinch, preferably 3-4 CCS or more. Exeter Moto is often a fav on the way home into the SW, 24 Gridserve CCS, charging heaven, except bank holidays! I have to say Gridserve at 69p were often the bargain basement of rapids but now the've risen to 79p but it hardly matters as most of the rest of the journey is at 7.5p/kWh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will note however that the Genie Points at ASDA and Morrisons the A/C connection is technically shown as in service/working. This close to home I would never use a public A/C charger (also near me they have parking charges or time restrictions) as I would rather Granny charge at home.
apart from the early days when I tried every different public charger I came across to make sure I had the appropriate app/rfid card I only use public chargers when travelling beyond my range. The Genie points I've used I only used because they were the only available car park spaces at the location.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back