The car went in for its first service on Wednesday and I’m glad to say there were no issues on that front. Before I had booked it in for the service, I explained to the dealer about the charge not stopping when set to 80%, as this has been happening since the new CCU was fitted. So, on the day of the service, the technician explained to me that he had performed seven software updates to address the problem.

I’m happy to say after testing it at home on the Zappi and yesterday on a 50kW rapid charger, the car will now limit the charge to 80% if I set it to that amount.
Great news 👍

I’m happy to say after testing it at home on the Zappi and yesterday on a 50kW rapid charger, the car will now limit the charge to 80% if I set it to that amount.
Not wanting to rain on your parade, but are you sure it was the car that stopped the charge? Some rapid chargers have an 80/100% option (never actually getting to 100%).

Contacted dealer this morning about update on the arrival of CCU unit, told it could take up to a month to arrive, in a more positive note, they told me my cable should be here next week.
That’s good news Lango. Looking back in the thread, it took about five weeks for the CCU for my car to arrive.

You might want to mention the 80% charge limit being ignored after fitting the new CCU experienced by myself and other members, so that your dealer can test it and perform software updates if needed.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but are you sure it was the car that stopped the charge? Some rapid chargers have an 80/100% option (never actually getting to 100%).
No, it’s a valid point, but I’m pretty certain the rapid charger I used doesn’t have that option, plus on the charging section on the infotainment screen the display told me how long it would take to charge to 80% and it was bang on the number.

No, it’s a valid point, but I’m pretty certain the rapid charger I used doesn’t have that option, plus on the charging section on the infotainment screen the display told me how long it would take to charge to 80% and it was bang on the number.
Yes, this was the clue for me that it had been fixed too, before I had the right software updates it was predicting max range at 80% which was clearly wrong and then it would charge straight past it.

Ok, I've haven't read through all the posts. Service late Feb and problem reported. Car went in last Tuesday. Not looked at until Thursday, MG contacted on Friday, CCU arrived today, waiting to be fitted but going on holiday on Friday. Don't need the car though. Could be worse.
Hopefully, you’ll be back up and running shortly Steve. I would make your garage aware of possible software updates being needed following the fitting of the new CCU which in many cases ignores the 80% charging limit when set.

Hopefully, you’ll be back up and running shortly Steve. I would make your garage aware of possible software updates being needed following the fitting of the new CCU which in many cases ignores the 80% charging limit when set.
Will do.

Looks like they keep CCUs in stock

Well folks, looks like I am joining the club. Car stopped AC charging 2 weeks ago, went to dealer who took it to the workshop and plugged it in, called me over gleefully announced its charging, got to the car Oh its aborted! Explained this was the problem. Car in today to investigate, wish me luck.

I wonder what happens to all the old ones. With iMiEV chargers, there is a small set of "usual suspects" that can be repaired for about 10% of the cost of buying a new one. 90% of that is labour, the parts are cheap. But of course we know nothing about the on-board chargers that SAIC are using, or what they were using before when they were reliable.

My guess: industrial waste.

Quick update, garage rang want to keep it another day as can't find the problem, was talking about a spike from different chargers but it's not that :rolleyes:

They have done software updates because my app has been pinging messages all day. I mentioned the CCU issue but they seem reluctant to go down that route, why delay the inevitable?

They have done software updates because my app has been pinging messages all day. I mentioned the CCU issue but they seem reluctant to go down that route, why delay the inevitable?

Because MG have to approve and pay for any work the dealer does and software updates are the cheaper option if they work.

I agree but we are talking about a Chinese company and their attitude is that they will never admit anything is wrong or let anyone know that they are working on it. The solution will just appear.

We might find that when the cars that are prone to this problem will have a new CCU fitted at their next service in a years time. Meanwhile the dealers are left in the dark with dissatisfied customers.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back