pam24

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So until I get my home charging port fitted I am managing on a bit of granny charging then a top up at a public charger. My query is this, if if says it’s a 22 kw charger how come the best I got was 7kw. I’m sure there is a sensible answer but right now I’m feeling a bit ripped off 🤣 to be honest, same thing happened last weekend at one advertised as 150kw although it wasn’t as low as 7kw it was certainly nowhere near 150kw. Is there something I am missing? Thanks

The easiest reply is this: that’s the charging station maximum output, not your cars maximum input. Those are lower (7kW on AC, apparently, and ~80 on those high power DC chargers).
Think of this as a pipe. You never want it to be a funnel in either way: if the car handles more than the charger can give, you’re wasting time; if the car handles less than the charger can give, you’re wasting money. 👍

So until I get my home charging port fitted I am managing on a bit of granny charging then a top up at a public charger. My query is this, if if says it’s a 22 kw charger how come the best I got was 7kw. I’m sure there is a sensible answer but right now I’m feeling a bit ripped off 🤣 to be honest, same thing happened last weekend at one advertised as 150kw although it wasn’t as low as 7kw it was certainly nowhere near 150kw. Is there something I am missing? Thanks
Although perhaps tedious, it's well worth going through the car specs and manual (which is searchable if you've got it saved as a PDF). It'll probably clear up a lot of confusion, & although the translation is not the best it's still handy to have. Can be downloaded direct from MG: My MG | MG Motor UK

You only pay for the power going into car (plus heat losses) so you are not getting ripped off.
If you rapid DC charge a lot then make sure you use an AC type2 EVSE (charge point) once a month to battery balance.

You only pay for the power going into car (plus heat losses) so you are not getting ripped off.
If you rapid DC charge a lot then make sure you use an AC type2 EVSE (charge point) once a month to battery balance.
not necessarily, as the price per kWh is higher in high output chargers (paying for convenience in a way). So if one's car max charge rate is sub 100 no need to go for a 350kW charger given the chance.

Power is not the same as stored energy.

Kw Vs kWh

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom