Charging to 100 % on 7 kW home charger.

Saulionas

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hello everyone!!!
I got my MG5 long range 3 weeks ago just wondering is it ok to charge up 100 % on my home 7 kw charger every time or just charger it up 100 before long trip ?
Thanks

It is "ok" as in the car won't die but the battery will age faster, ideally you'd store it between 20% and 80%. If it's not inconvenient for you I'd recommend setting the limiter to 80% for day to day use.
Other factors also influence battery aging (charging speed, storage temperature, depth of charge, etc) at the end of the day everybody has to figure its own convenience sweet spot

Are you charging every day or just when you are under 30/40% a couple of times a week?
There is a forum for the MG5.

It is "ok" as in the car won't die but the battery will age faster, ideally you'd store it between 20% and 80%. If it's not inconvenient for you I'd recommend setting the limiter to 80% for day to day use.
Other factors also influence battery aging (charging speed, storage temperature, depth of charge, etc) at the end of the day everybody has to figure its own convenience sweet spot
Thank you very much ill try to keep it from 20 to 80

At the moment i am on holidays so i travel alot and change car nearly every day but then i back to work that will be maybe ones in 2 weeks ;)
Thanks
OK to 100% as long as you don't leave it at 100% for days on end, best to use some of those stored electrons next day.
Otherwise charge whichever/however way you want. If you ask 20 EV drivers the best way to charge you will get 25 different answers.

OK to 100% as long as you don't leave it at 100% for days on end, best to use some of those stored electrons next day.
Otherwise charge whichever/however way you want. If you ask 20 EV drivers the best way to charge you will get 25 different answers.
As i understand car don't have a option to choose charging percentage only i can do it on smart changer?

My daily commute is about 70 miles, I know my Zappi can add that in 2.25 hours so that's what I add to keep it at about 80%. In the winter the range drops so I will add about a 3 hour charge. Every monthish I top it to 100% to balance the battery.

Don’t worry about this 20%-80% nonsense. Just charge the car and use it as you wish. It has battery management computers that take care of it. It’s been designed to be used this way. You can happily leave it fully charged without worry.

Battery’s on trains/aircraft are constantly being charged to full when in use by the generators. They never degrade.

Mine was loaded onto the ship with 100% charge.

You would happily charge a laptop or phone to 100% for example.

For Info I’ve been using my car this way and already have 60k on the clock. With battery health at 99%

Just don’t worry about it.

You’d fill a petrol car tank to full. The technology is designed to mimic that type of usage.

Some phones have charge optimisation that reduces the charging rate and schedules end of charge to coincide with when you normally start using it again in the morning.
There are a lot of technical and scientific articles about charging which are worth reading. And then make up your mind what you do to suit your usage/lifestyle.
A disadvantage of going to 100% is that Regen can't be fully utilised until the charge has dropped a bit.

I charge my mg5 to 100% every time I charge and no issues also I left my car charged to 100% and at to leave it for a week because of COVID and 7 days later still 100% and no problem🙂I also think to meny are making problems out off things charge it use it leave just like any ice car you never thought about it just did it same with the wonderful ev vehs👍

I am really glad there are EV Owners of there just like me. I have had 4 EVs now and I charge them every night to 100% and just let the BMS look after the battery. Lastly, because of this I have NEVER had any problems with flat 12v battery or battery balancing issues (at least that's what I believe), besides I could NOT be bothered to faff around worrying about what state of charge my car was at.

Frank

I can you please tell me how you set the "limiter"

It's all very well saying you've been doing it all the time with no problem but as I understand it the issues arise as the car ages - after 5 years, or 7 years or whatever. And it won't necessarily be that serious at first but continually charging to 100% on rapids might well hasten the aging process in batteries.

So while I am of the opinion that the car will most likely have built-in limiters and whatnot to prevent damage, I tend to play it safe and only charge to 80%-ish on rapids, as for me this car is most likely a keeper. 100% at home though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom