Charging to 100 % on 7 kW home charger.

Haven’t been there yet. Tried the rapid at McDonalds Bognor but out of order. Tried the one at Lidl Bognor but couldn’t get it to connect. Everywhere else we went was 7.4.
Will try today as heading for Littlehampton and Brighton. Many thanks.
Currently at McDonalds, Arundel. Tried one machine 4 times and 4 times it started a charge but then cut out. Now on the other machine and it’s working - so far!
Should it really be this difficult??

On a side note, I noticed today that the four heavily used 7kw Point Point posts at our local Tesco store, have been out of use for well over a week now !.
They have traffic cones blocking the EV spaces, which is a good idea 👍.
Otherwise the ICE movement will move in 🤣.
I am wondering 💭 if they out of order ( due to excessive use ) our if Tesco have turned them off after seeing what it is costing them to run !.
The new Aldi store had four 7 Kw posts installed when it was totally rebuilt last year.
They where operation for about 4 weeks and have been turned off ever since.
It would appear, on the face of it, to be a complete waste of money installing them ?.
I hope for other users, they have not followed suit at the Tesco store 🤔.
Interesting - we went to tesc at south Queensferry yesterday for lunch and shopping as usual. We plugged in to top up as usual bu when we came out we discovered it had added nothing 🤷‍♂️There we’re other cars on the other three points so perhaps they got some juice and it was only ours that failed ??

If it is a Podpoint I tend to confirm all the charge points so I know that I have done the correct one that I am on.

Interesting - we went to tesc at south Queensferry yesterday for lunch and shopping as usual. We plugged in to top up as usual bu when we came out we discovered it had added nothing 🤷‍♂️There we’re other cars on the other three points so perhaps they got some juice and it was only ours that failed ??
I had exactly that at Tesco Callington (Cornwall) yesterday lunchtime. I was next to an identical MG5 too, he was charging fine but I had nothing after having wandered round the store for 15 minutes. I'd also confirmed the charge. I moved to a different charge point and it was fine.

Hello everyone!!!
I got my MG5 long range 3 weeks ago just wondering is it ok to charge up 100 % on my home 7 kw charger every time or just charger it up 100 before long trip ?
Thanks
I charge to 100% every day for over 2 years ...combination of granny charger and podpoint 7kw home charger. no issues...EV .battery has a buffer so charge away. I have a Peugeot e2008.

I had exactly that at Tesco Callington (Cornwall) yesterday lunchtime. I was next to an identical MG5 too, he was charging fine but I had nothing after having wandered round the store for 15 minutes. I'd also confirmed the charge. I moved to a different charge point and it was fine.
This can be caused by a poor connection. With type 2, one has to be careful to shove both ends in firmly as the communication connection is deeply set. This also applies to CCS, and perhaps even more so as the weight of a CCS gun can make it droop and the communication connection is right at the top of the type 2 part.

This can be caused by a poor connection. With type 2, one has to be careful to shove both ends in firmly as the communication connection is deeply set. This also applies to CCS, and perhaps even more so as the weight of a CCS gun can make it droop and the communication connection is right at the top of the type 2 part.
Yes I am always acutely aware of that as I’ve found, especially with CCS, that it’s best to support the plug during the ”handshake” between charger and car to allow communication to take place.

I charge to 100% every day for over 2 years ...combination of granny charger and podpoint 7kw home charger. no issues...EV .battery has a buffer so charge away. I have a Peugeot e2008.
What exactly do you mean by 'no issues'?
Have you measured the loss in overall useable capacity of the battery?
Have you compared that with someone else who doesn't charge to 100%?

Hello everyone!!!
I got my MG5 long range 3 weeks ago just wondering is it ok to charge up 100 % on my home 7 kw charger every time or just charger it up 100 before long trip ?
Thanks
I have the standard range model and as I have a daily commute of 75 miles I charge it every second night and have had no problem.

Had a Nissen Leaf for 5 years prior to the MG5.
Charged it on 7.5 every night, and when we sold it to buy the MG5 the Battery had 5 stars in ALL ASPECTS. (Never charged on Rapid Charger)
Will continue to Plug the MG 5 in every night until told differently.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom