Charging to 100 % on 7 kW home charger.

Who needs to use the whole 330 mile range between each refill? Even at motorway speeds that's way beyond the safe time limits for regular use.
Me around six times a year and could do a 320 mile round trip, when visiting elderly parents where I would not have the time to granny charge, and even if I did, would not want to put that bill on my parents home tariff. This all without getting my eyes ripped out further by using Public charging network, which by the sounds of it on here, is not only expensive and rising, , but often a royal pain in the Ariss.

I hope that answers your question, sure I will not be alone in a similar such scenario.

incorporate pre-set, off peak, default charging hours and allow the owner to accept, remove or change these upon first use and subsequently

The Indra must do all of that or it is an offence to fit it.

what is smart about not being able to set a stop charge time it just doesnt make sense if you can set a start time why not a finish time, i would have thought that they were absolute basics to start with if you were bringing a smart charger to market

Agreed. On the versions that I have seen that's always been possible.

the terms and conditions of Vanararma that the charger is smart but by the regulations set out the Indra is not

Our experiences differ. Good luck in getting it sorted out tomorrow.

Me around six times a year

The issue is not the occasional charge to 100% for LC, but doing it every time.

For normal use LFP is better than LC. Using the MG4 as an example, 100% of the SR range is more than 80% of the LR. Even on long journeys the difference in range is only 10kWh, so around a 40 miles window, which is relatively inexpensive in both time and money for occasional top ups away from home.

all without getting my eyes ripped out further by using Public charging network, which by the sounds of it on here, is not only expensive and rising, , but often a royal pain in the Ariss.

The charging network isn't that bad!

I have this morning spoken to Indra re the charge on my MG5 Exclusive not stopping at the end of my Octopus Go overnight rate. The explanation is as follows:
The charger, through the Smart+ app, can recognise the start time of the cheap rate but not the end time. If I set a "car ready time", (in my case I set it at 04:30, being the end of my cheap rate), it will then reduce the rate of charge but will continue charging.
They are trialling something called "Pause" which only they can set on my account. This will enable the charger to stop at the time I set as my "car ready" time. If more charge is needed the Pause option can be overridden by the Boost button on the charger.
The Pause option can only be set by them and cannot be switched on or off by the user.
I have asked them to set it on my account but it will mean I should always start my charge at between 40%-50% if I want to get anywhere near full by 04:30. My calculations would be if I start at about 40%, it should reach about 80% in the 4 hour cheap rate period.
I'll see how it goes but if it doesn't work for me I can ring them and they will remove the option from my account.
There does seem to have been a lack of foresight by not factoring in a start/stop facility.

no charge again last night, have emailed Charged EV and informed Vanarama. This as gone on long enough now. i have asked for a Zappi v2 with home hub.

I have this morning spoken to Indra re the charge on my MG5 Exclusive not stopping at the end of my Octopus Go overnight rate. The explanation is as follows:
The charger, through the Smart+ app, can recognise the start time of the cheap rate but not the end time. If I set a "car ready time", (in my case I set it at 04:30, being the end of my cheap rate), it will then reduce the rate of charge but will continue charging.
They are trialling something called "Pause" which only they can set on my account. This will enable the charger to stop at the time I set as my "car ready" time. If more charge is needed the Pause option can be overridden by the Boost button on the charger.
The Pause option can only be set by them and cannot be switched on or off by the user.
I have asked them to set it on my account but it will mean I should always start my charge at between 40%-50% if I want to get anywhere near full by 04:30. My calculations would be if I start at about 40%, it should reach about 80% in the 4 hour cheap rate period.
I'll see how it goes but if it doesn't work for me I can ring them and they will remove the option from my account.
There does seem to have been a lack of foresight by not factoring in a start/stop facility.
Sounds like a lot of"Faffing About" to be honest !.
It sounds like these wall boxes are just too smart for there own good 🤣.
One of the older dumb units with a WI-Fi switch offers a more user friendly option IMO.

Sounds like a lot of"Faffing About" to be honest !.
It sounds like these wall boxes are just too smart for there own good 🤣.
One of the older dumb units with a WI-Fi switch offers a more user friendly option IMO.
I’m inclined to agree. Considering the app is called Smart+ it isn’t very smart and I’ve no idea what the + represents!

Currently in Chichester area. First long drive in our MG5 Exclusive. Nightmare trying to find firstly a rapid charger, then one that works! Also found some limitations on the car sat nav system: you can’t show PoI’s on the map! Eg: I want to see where EV charging stations are along my route but you have to navigate to a different screen where you will find a list. Not a safe way of driving to have to toggle between pages! Weather horrendous and it’s been enough to turn me back to my old diesel!

Agree that the MG satnav is not great. Plug in your phone and use Google or some other system. Huge improvement. But not great where mobile connectivity dies.

I’ll give that a try.. Thanks.
Agreed, nobody (slight exaggeration) uses built-in satnav these days, probably the reason only the top of the range MG4 has it built-in.
When doing a journey plan ahead, a bit, for charges and certainly do not rely on the built-in satnav for anything like that. I'm sure you must have Zapmap and other apps for locating them.
I just love doing long journeys in mine and with a bit, not a lot, of looking ahead charging has been without hassle so far. 🤞

Agreed, nobody (slight exaggeration) uses built-in satnav these days, probably the reason only the top of the range MG4 has it built-in.
When doing a journey plan ahead, a bit, for charges and certainly do not rely on the built-in satnav for anything like that. I'm sure you must have Zapmap and other apps for locating them.
I just love doing long journeys in mine and with a bit, not a lot, of looking ahead charging has been without hassle so far. 🤞
Definitely struggling to find rapid chargers between Chichester and Brighton. Even locals have said the infrastructure here is terrible.

What about the two Instavolts at McDonald's Arundel? Not cheap but convenient for a top up.

From WattsUp along route going from Chichester to Brighton... distances shown are from Chichester.

Screenshot_20220909-090942.png

Screenshot_20220909-090714.png

What about the two Instavolts at McDonald's Arundel? Not cheap but convenient for a top up.
Haven’t been there yet. Tried the rapid at McDonalds Bognor but out of order. Tried the one at Lidl Bognor but couldn’t get it to connect. Everywhere else we went was 7.4.
Will try today as heading for Littlehampton and Brighton. Many thanks.

On a side note, I noticed today that the four heavily used 7kw Point Point posts at our local Tesco store, have been out of use for well over a week now !.
They have traffic cones blocking the EV spaces, which is a good idea 👍.
Otherwise the ICE movement will move in 🤣.
I am wondering 💭 if they out of order ( due to excessive use ) our if Tesco have turned them off after seeing what it is costing them to run !.
The new Aldi store had four 7 Kw posts installed when it was totally rebuilt last year.
They where operation for about 4 weeks and have been turned off ever since.
It would appear, on the face of it, to be a complete waste of money installing them ?.
I hope for other users, they have not followed suit at the Tesco store 🤔.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom