Common problems with the new ZS EV

The new facelift ZS EV cannot do OTA on the cars ECU/BMS as everyone first thought. All that can happen is the infotainment system can search for updates like you do at home with your Ipad. Software ending R19 is the latest version (May 22) which is what I have on my Trophy Connect LR.
“Everyone first thought”?

Have to say that I personally never thought all vehicle systems would be updated OTA, neither would I want them to be. Having heard of Tesla removing features from cars already purchased and messing around with charger rates I would rather be in control of these sorts of updates.

It's not the fact that I chose a 30 amp fuse it was that it was a LIVE fuse when the car is off which is why I chose this as I did the same 2 years ago on my MK1 ZS EV and have also just done on my Long Range Trophy Connect. Never had a problem and please feel free to pick a fuse that suits you just make sure it's live so your camera comes on when someone nudges or bumps your car.
A Piggyback Fuse holder solves the issue..

2x Add-A-Circuit Fuse Tap Piggy-Back Standard Blade Fuse Holder ATO ATC 12V 24V https://amzn.eu/d/2u3uvKV

Remove the original fuse, plug in the Piggyback fuse holder then plug the original fuse into the fuse holder. You can then put another fuse in for the secondary feed that you can size correctly for the device being powered.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Piggyback Fuse holder solves the issue..

2x Add-A-Circuit Fuse Tap Piggy-Back Standard Blade Fuse Holder ATO ATC 12v 24v 2x Add-A-Circuit Fuse Tap Piggy-Back Standard Blade Fuse Holder ATO ATC 12v 24v : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

Remove the original fuse, plug in the Piggyback fuse holder then plug the original fuse into the fuse holder. You can then put another fuse in for the secondary feed that you can size correctly for the device being powered.
That's exactly what I have done with my nextbase and used the additional hardwire install kit and the piggy back fuse holder.

Attachments

• Piggy back fuse.jpg
    Piggy back fuse.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 128
Mines just the fact the car doesn’t work with fast chargers and has resulted in it being left for recovery and having no fix for it.

Can’t get why you offer fast chargers and can’t get something like this resolved. It doesn’t appear to be the charger that is the issue it’s what ever software is bricking the car in the checks that’s doing it

Needs to have a way to clear the fault codes on the system rather than a garage. Aa at a push but they don’t have the obdi codes for this so they are usless.
I agree. Happened to us using a 100kW charger at Beaconsfield Service station on way to Birmingham. Result: DEAD CAR!! MG Assist engineer excellent but unable to fix as he could not access s/w Outcome: Train to Birmingham, car recovered to local home MG Dealer , hire car (petrol) from Birmingham to home - Kent. Three days before dealer could fit the car in and then quick s/w update and system reset.

Expensive for MG UK and out of pocket cost to me of £150 which I am trying to recover from MG UK. No response so far!!!

And I had recommended car to family and another is now on order. I hope I was not misguided.

“Everyone first thought”?

Have to say that I personally never thought all vehicle systems would be updated OTA, neither would I want them to be. Having heard of Tesla removing features from cars already purchased and messing around with charger rates I would rather be in control of these sorts of updates.
I wonder how your control would influence subsequent warranty issues...
Right can 'o' worms

I wonder how your control would influence subsequent warranty issues...
Right can 'o' worms

Not really sure what you mean?

Only modifications that the dealer could do the car after I purchased it would be for an official recall for safety issues. Safety issue recalls I would of course get implemented.

I have had the car for a few months now and driven 8,000 miles. I have not had a single problem with the car and the way it works.

I purchased it after extensive testing and evaluation by myself. The features it has are not matched by any other EV for its price, not even close (though the LR MG5 was a close second).

If and when there are warranty issues with the car these would be sorted as normal.

Not really sure what you mean?
really? I would have thought it rather obvious that if you involved yourself in "controlling"/refusing manufacturer updates & improvements that then subsequently led to a fault/failure questions would be encountered about your involvement & actions.

Only modifications that the dealer could do the car after I purchased it would be for an official recall for safety issues. Safety issue recalls I would of course get implemented.
So you're saying you'd refuse BMS updates? Entertainment/nav system updates? etc? those & more have happened...

Search on here (top right magnifying glass)

really? I would have thought it rather obvious that if you involved yourself in "controlling"/refusing manufacturer updates & improvements that then subsequently led to a fault/failure questions would be encountered about your involvement & actions.

So you're saying you'd refuse BMS updates? Entertainment/nav system updates? etc? those & more have happened...

Search on here (top right magnifying glass)

Did you not read the bit where I said I did extensive testing of the car before I bought it. I was and am happy with all its features and can see nothing that would improve the car.

Why would I need a BMS update? I have done 8,000 miles in the car. I have had zero issues with the battery and it’s current SOH is 100%. It charges on both my home charger and Rapid Chargers with no issues.

If there are safety issues that need addressing via an official recall then these I would get done.

Did you not read the bit where I said I did extensive testing of the car before I bought it. I was and am happy with all its features and can see nothing that would improve the car.

Why would I need a BMS update? I have done 8,000 miles in the car. I have had zero issues with the battery and it’s current SOH is 100%. It charges on both my home charger and Rapid Chargers with no issues.

If there are safety issues that need addressing via an official recall then these I would get done.
You crack on then👍 good luck with it🤞

Rather oddly on another thread here you're advising someone to get the Comfort 2 update, was that a recall/safety related update ?
This was not a recall or safety related it was a upgrade to make things better

Well to add to things that can go wrong with the 2.gen

In the drivers side door, i have controls for all electric windows, the one for the right rear window has just lost it's switch for the "UP" position.

I can press down, and it will lower the window, but if i pull to raise it, there is nothing there, and the button is very lose.

Rather oddly on another thread here you're advising someone to get the Comfort 2 update, was that a recall/safety related update ?

What was the update you had done to your car after a few months?

Just trying to clarify your unusual position 👍

I was advising the OP how to get the change he requested.

I had the original ZS EV and did not get the comfort 2 update.

Don’t see your issue so you’re on ignore. Advise you to do the same to me as I won’t be seeing your reply to this or other threads.

I was advising the OP how to get the change he requested.

I had the original ZS EV and did not get the comfort 2 update.

Don’t see your issue so you’re on ignore. Advise you to do the same to me as I won’t be seeing your reply to this or other threads.
Oh dear!
Bat taken home?

I agree. Happened to us using a 100KWH charger at Beaconsfield Service station on way to Birmingham. Result: DEAD CAR!! MG Assist engineer excellent but unable to fix as he could not access s/w Outcome: Train to Birmingham, car recovered to local home MG Dealer , hire car (petrol) from Birmingham to home - Kent. Three days before dealer could fit the car in and then quick s/w update and system reset.

Expensive for MG UK and out of pocket cost to me of £150 which I am trying to recover from MG UK. No response so far!!!

And I had recommended car to family and another is now on order. I hope I was not misguided.
I’ve now had 2 failures out of 3 rapid charging attempts, both in 350 kW chargers. No connection first try, then HV battery kicked out on the 2nd attempt. Disaster! Called in the AA both times, but just as they were arriving, perhaps 30 minutes after the failure -Bingo! - the car started working again. Did not risk it again on the first occasion as we were only minutes away from our night stop where I could granny charge. This last time was at Reading West services with 20% SOC, headed for Cardiff, so had to cross fingers and re-connect. This time it worked, but my wife was so put off that we decided to do our road trip to France in her ICE car in case it happened again. I’m taking the ZS to the dealer next week to see if there’s a fault.

I’ve now had 2 failures out of 3 rapid charging attempts, both in 350 kW chargers. No connection first try, then HV battery kicked out on the 2nd attempt. Disaster! Called in the AA both times, but just as they were arriving, perhaps 30 minutes after the failure -Bingo! - the car started working again. Did not risk it again on the first occasion as we were only minutes away from our night stop where I could granny charge. This last time was at Reading West services with 20% SOC, headed for Cardiff, so had to cross fingers and re-connect. This time it worked, but my wife was so put off that we decided to do our road trip to France in her ICE car in case it happened again. I’m taking the ZS to the dealer next week to see if there’s a fault.
What were the failures? I know you mentioned no connection and hv kickout, what did the display say?
I've just driven 120 miles to north Wales last week, stopped to charge from 75 to 95% whilst we ate and it maxed out at about 20kW.
Found a 7kW charger to top up whilst at my destination, planning to charge at a 150kW instavolt charger on the way back, expecting to get at least 50kW if not the 100kW the MG website mentions.
On the way home, stopped at the instavolt, it started at 22kW then slowly dropped down to 8.. So I stopped it and reconnected, and it did the same thing.
After waiting ages and giving up, deciding to go to a tesla station, I noticed the car next to me was going at 120kW so the chargers were fine...
Got to Tesla charger, max 250kW, so figured I'd have better luck. First charger wouldn't work, so moved to a second.
Batter was at about 16% when I plugged in, started charging at about 39kW, and started to slow down to 36kW by 50%, and jumped up to 41kW just before I decided to unplug at 55% with enough miles to get home.

What I expected to be a 2.5 - 3 hour journey with a single charging stop, became a 4 hour journey and 3 charge attempts.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom