Common problems with the new ZS EV

Anyone know how to fix sunroof noise when it was tilted? As far as I know from this forum MG service could not fix it.

The USB port on the rear view mirror for the dash cam is on the wrong (driver’s) side 😒 meaning you can’t completely tuck the cable.

Also, if using apple car play, it cuts out if your phone even considers moving a millimetre. Constantly unplugging the cable and putting it back in. Also don’t get why the usb to project your phone is where it is (right under the main screen). If you need to plug the phone in to use CarPlay/android auto, it’s charging on the cable, so doesn’t have to be anywhere near the wireless pad (which is rather slow anyway). Hide it in one of the compartments put the way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 173
The USB port on the rear view mirror for the dash cam is on the wrong (driver’s) side 😒 meaning you can’t completely tuck the cable.

Also, if using apple car play, it cuts out if your phone even considers moving a millimetre. Constantly unplugging the cable and putting it back in. Also don’t get why the usb to project your phone is where it is (right under the main screen). If you need to plug the phone in to use CarPlay/android auto, it’s charging on the cable, so doesn’t have to be anywhere near the wireless pad (which is rather slow anyway). Hide it in one of the compartments put the way.
If your apple car play keeps cutting out when you move the phone I would say you have one of three things here...

1. A dodgy cable - test with another and replace if the other cable is fine.
2. A dodgy charge port, might be full of pocket fluff or broken. For the former, get in there with a sewing needle to remove the fluff, this can usually be diagnosed by looking at the charge plug while plugged into the phone, is if flush with the phone, if not you have pocket fluff.
3. You have a dodgy USB socket in the car and MG need to replace it.

Also make sure you have the latest updated version of AA/AC as the older versions on older phones have been less reliable in many cars, not just the ZS EV.

And before anyone mentions it, no, wireless AA/AC is not better and you will likely have a worse user experience as a result.. Besides you will need another expensive box and this won't counteract problem no. 3 (y)

For LHD vehicles it is in the passenger side, so basically they probably just thought "We will sell most LHD vehciles and we dont want to spend the money, making different parts for the placement of the USB socket for different parts of the world".

I bought a wireless car play cable for MG ZS EV and now when I get it the vehicle, it recognize the carplay easly (wireless, the phone is in my pocket). I recommend that kind of cable. Check from ali express.

Not actually got my car yet but the wireless carplay adapter I’ve got is absolutely perfect in my current ionic and you’d never know it wasn’t wired! Would defo sort problems 1 & 2 but yeah, 3 would still be an issue!

Yeah it is a bit poor, and it only picks up speed signs as well.

On my 2016 Vauxhall, it's camera was able to spot "motorway start" signs as well, we have a national speed limit of 130 kph, but there are no signs for the normal speed, only if the speed is reduced in some places.

The same with the sign "City area" it is rectangular and my Vauxhall knew this one as well, the MG does not, so it will happily blow through the city at 80 kph, because it never saw the sign that means city, 50 kph allowed.

Also, it saw speed signs, but ignored those with conditions below....In Germany for example, there is a sign that says 60 kph and underneath (Bei Nasse) which means something to the effect of "Only when the road is wet" It never showed me those signs because it knew it was a conditional sign.
This may be a little bit of an obvious one and trust me, isn’t directed at any one person, but what happened to actually reading the road signs yourselves and not relying on tech in the car to do it for you? I’m pretty sure that “the car never warned me it was only a 40mph road” when you’re in court for doing 60 just won’t really be a workable defence!! 🙄

Will the cable not tuck under the head liner?

This may be a little bit of an obvious one and trust me, isn’t directed at any one person, but what happened to actually reading the road signs yourselves and not relying on tech in the car to do it for you? I’m pretty sure that “the car never warned me it was only a 40mph road” when you’re in court for doing 60 just won’t really be a workable defence!! 🙄
offcourse not but as any human can attest to, you might not see EVERY sign you ever pass.

I used it, for example on the motorway, when i was in a 110 kph zone, and i was in doubt if it had ended.

The "Restriction ends" signs are in all gray here, and while there are "This is the max speed" signs for every kilometer on the motorway, there is only one "This is where the speed restriction ends".

Interesting to note that the uk government has announced that the driver will not be responsible for an accident in a self driving car and the insurance company will take the rap!

For LHD vehicles it is in the passenger side, so basically they probably just thought "We will sell most LHD vehciles and we dont want to spend the money, making different parts for the placement of the USB socket for different parts of the world".
I just had a slightly longer cable wraped it around the mirror and no issues.

I believe that will improve a lot when you go fully metric. Go on UK, take the last steps into the 21st century! (Well, 20th actually 🤔).

Speed sign recognition is great in modernised countries.
Britain is going metric inch by inch.

No the problem is that we have two National Speed Limits indicated by the same road sign. Sixty MPH on single carriageway roads and 70 MPH on dual carriageway roads. Easy but not for computerised cars.

I've just hard wired a dashcam in to a 30 amp fuse behind the glove compartment as the camera would otherwise not be able to use its parked feature should the car be shunted or bumped as when using the usb in the rear view mirror the dashcam goes off when the car is off.

From the Sat Nav map screen press the button with 3 dots.
Then press the button More Settings.
Then press Manage Features.
Slide the slider next to Dead Reckoning to turn it off.

the number 8 is upside down:big belly on top

I haven't got my car yet, but I have noticed that practically everything MG prints has the upside-down 8.

BTW, does a hard copy manual come with the car?
It's just a font MG are using that just happens to show the 8 the wrong way around

Completely agree with the above....have found all the same issues. These could all be sorted with OTA updates if the system works....we will have to wait and see!
There are no over the air updates for the car. If just seems the infotainment system has a software update feature within settings but these is nothing OTA for the car ECUs/BMS etc.

I can't think why anyone would want to leave the car on while charging :unsure:
When charging on a rapid for the last 2 years with my MKI ZS EV and now with my MKII facelift ZS EV I have always shot the car down and and connected the charger and started charging. I would sometimes sit in the car and watch a downloaded movie/tv programme with the car switched back on (green light on start button) to ensure you are warm with heater on if it's cold outside whilst your car is fulling up.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom