Common problems with the new ZS EV

I believe that will improve a lot when you go fully metric. Go on UK, take the last steps into the 21st century! (Well, 20th actually šŸ¤”).

Speed sign recognition is great in modernised countries.
Sadly, it's just as pants in France (although I'd question whether it counts as a modernised country), I started to turn it off, but it resets every time the car is turned on, so gave up in disgust in the end.

The only other issue we've had (to date) is that the maintain vehicle light came on at 1000 kms (but the infotainment system wa still showing next service due at 29,0000 kms). Still waiting for that one to be fixed.

It's the right way around on non Connect models though!
If true, that just makes it even more silly.

Maybe the non-connect has had an update, the connect has yet to receive.

On the other hand, if the non-connect is not able to do OTA, it's more important they get it right the first time around :)

I'd be looking for a way to pull out the switches and swap them round. :oops:

Sadly, it's just as pants in France
Oh, sorry to read that. You mean, I took the chance to ridicule imperial units and it wasn't even justified? Damn! :p

But now I'm interested in why. Do your speed signs perhaps have an unusual font? Are they actually round signs instead of rectangular? These are ours (first I found, 40ā€Ækm/h as in school zones):

APP-2--NO-23--SPEED-SIGN-40--3_card.jpg

Just doing the search for a 100ā€Ækm/h speed sign, I was shocked at the differences in fonts, etc. I assume and hope that these are merely how browsers render circles around digits, but maybe these signs aren't actually an international standard.

I note that ironically the particular sign in the above photo, with the rust dribbles, actually might be harder than usual to detect.

Oh, sorry to read that. You mean, I took the chance to ridicule imperial units and it wasn't even justified? Damn! :p

But now I'm interested in why. Do your speed signs perhaps have an unusual font? Are they actually round signs instead of rectangular? These are ours (first I found, 40ā€Ækm/h as in school zones):

Just doing the search for a 100ā€Ækm/h speed sign, I was shocked at the differences in fonts, etc. I assume and hope that these are merely how browsers render circles around digits, but maybe these signs aren't actually an international standard.

I note that ironically the particular sign in the above photo, with the rust dribbles, actually might be harder than usual to detect.
The UK has a standard font called Transport. Round signs are orders - commands, triangles are warnings. We do sometimes have yellow backing boards to make them really obvious, but for the most part, we prefer to keep the silhouette, so it's easily recognisable.

Nope, it's just :poop:.

The camera picks up perhaps 1 in 4 signs; when it does pick the signs up, it tends to 'see' the ones for lorries which have a rectangular sign underneath saying it only applies to >3.5 Tons rather than the car speed limit usually circa 100m before that sign, it's absolutely awful.

The system in our Mercedes picks up every sign and ignores the HGV ones as it 'knows' to also look for the plate underneath. As someone has already mentioned, we shouldn't need this anyhow, one should know the speed of the road they are on, however, if it is included it should at least function well. In reality, this is a reasonable simple piece of software and there is little excuse for it being quite as useless as it is.

That's weird, because the signs here in Australia work quite well (I'd guess 19/20 correct). I assumed that was because the data was trained either in Germany by Bisch or China by SAIC, where the signs would be the same as in Australia, presumably because there is an international standard for metric speed signs. So I'm not that surprised that it does poorly in the UK, but I am surprised that it does poorly in France.

We don't have Lorries here, or at least don't call them such and don't usually apply special limits to them, so we don't have the signs saying it only applies to vehicles over 3.5 tonnes. We do have signs that apply only on school days during certain hours, and it picks those up as "conditional" signs. Not as good as actually reading the sign and checking the time and date of course, but that would be expecting a bit much. Unless it's claiming level 4 or better autonomy, and it's not.

Nope, it's just :poop:.

The camera picks up perhaps 1 in 4 signs; when it does pick the signs up, it tends to 'see' the ones for lorries which have a rectangular sign underneath saying it only applies to >3.5 Tons rather than the car speed limit usually circa 100m before that sign, it's absolutely awful.

The system in our Mercedes picks up every sign and ignores the HGV ones as it 'knows' to also look for the plate underneath. As someone has already mentioned, we shouldn't need this anyhow, one should know the speed of the road they are on, however, if it is included it should at least function well. In reality, this is a reasonable simple piece of software and there is little excuse for it being quite as useless as it is.
Yeah it is a bit poor, and it only picks up speed signs as well.

On my 2016 Vauxhall, it's camera was able to spot "motorway start" signs as well, we have a national speed limit of 130 kph, but there are no signs for the normal speed, only if the speed is reduced in some places.

The same with the sign "City area" it is rectangular and my Vauxhall knew this one as well, the MG does not, so it will happily blow through the city at 80 kph, because it never saw the sign that means city, 50 kph allowed.

Also, it saw speed signs, but ignored those with conditions below....In Germany for example, there is a sign that says 60 kph and underneath (Bei Nasse) which means something to the effect of "Only when the road is wet" It never showed me those signs because it knew it was a conditional sign.

Mines just the fact the car doesnā€™t work with fast chargers and has resulted in it being left for recovery and having no fix for it.

Canā€™t get why you offer fast chargers and canā€™t get something like this resolved. It doesnā€™t appear to be the charger that is the issue itā€™s what ever software is bricking the car in the checks thatā€™s doing it

Needs to have a way to clear the fault codes on the system rather than a garage. Aa at a push but they donā€™t have the obdi codes for this so they are usless.
Mine was fixed at the Dealers with a software update for VCU and EVCC. Done 2 rapids since no problems.

Err... :)
But I believe it's switching to READY (foot on brake) as opposed to ON (foot not on brake, either ot the two "positions") that is the problem.

Edit: and of course, in the ON position, when charging (AC or DC), you have all the advantages of READY mode, except being able to move. So you can have heating or air conditioning, radio, music, watch a movie, charge your phone, etc etc all without depleting your auxiliary battery.
On the new ZS (UK Trophy) you have to put the car into full ON or Ready mode to even get to the screen in the infotainment that allows you to "stop charging". I had the original ZS for 2 yrs so I know this is alien, but after having the software update on the new ZS I was told this is the way to do it and it works as I've done 2 Rapids now since the update and finished the charge both times using the cars in-built functionality.

Here is a small UX decision they made, that makes no sense. I have adjusted the fan speed when wanting to adjust temperature and vice versa, a few times already. :)
My screen on my UK Trophy LR is correct, not like yours.

Mine was fixed at the Dealers with a software update for VCU and EVCC. Done 2 rapids since no problems.
They said they canā€™t do the 3rd update due to the software being corrupt or giving them an error so they escalated it to mg then escalated it within my again

Waiting to find out whatā€™s going on

My screen on my UK Trophy LR is correct, not like yours.
Hmm, i wonder if there is some sort of setting to fix it.

What version of software does your infotainment system have.

if it is an older version they "fixed" it to be wrong instead of right :)

The UI is slightly different between the connect and non connect models. It says as much in the manual.

The UI is slightly different between the connect and non connect models. It says as much in the manual.
I would have thought that this was mainly for features that the non-connect, actually did not have, not that the HVAC settings buttons would be swapped.

To be honest, it would make the most sense if they did not have 2 different softwares for the 2 cars, but rather one, where the features the non-connect does not have, was just hidden.

since I got my trophy connect in november 21, the radio stops working dab and fm, but music works. It happens irregularly, to fix have to turn off car for about a hr.
MG have finally agreed to swap radio module after 5mths, but now no one knows from MG if the trophy radio module is the same as the connect. So its back to waiting.
Also when switching on its always 1st Jan 2019.
My dealer's service manager refers to my Connect's duff infotainment screen as the 'radio' which I took to mean a sender within the infotainment computer. In essence my car cannot bind because the car cannot be 'authenticated'. (The radio works but Sat Nav and some other functions including ismart don't). Weeks of back and forth between the dealer and MG with multiple software uploads yielded nothing so the errant screen was sent off to MG for repair. The service manager told me 'they have to be repaired (not replaced)...there is a known fault....I have sent 15 or 16 back already but they are usually returned quite quickly'. This was in the context of my screen vanishing into the system - probably because being a Connect it wasn't the usual fix and ended up on a 'don't know what to do pile'. Eventually the screen was found and declared unrepairable. A non Connect screen was fitted to get me back on the road after 50% of my ownership time the car was in the garage. I am now 4 weeks into an estimated 12 weeks delivery time for a replacement screen. I actually quite like the service manager - lucky as I've seen a lot of him - but MG and the dealership...no, no, no.

I would have thought that this was mainly for features that the non-connect, actually did not have, not that the HVAC settings buttons would be swapped.

To be honest, it would make the most sense if they did not have 2 different softwares for the 2 cars, but rather one, where the features the non-connect does not have, was just hidden.
Why bmw have everything in the one unit and you just pay to have it activated unless you do it urself

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom