Common problems with the new ZS EV

What were the failures? I know you mentioned no connection and hv kickout, what did the display say?
I've just driven 120 miles to north Wales last week, stopped to charge from 75 to 95% whilst we ate and it maxed out at about 20kW.
Found a 7kW charger to top up whilst at my destination, planning to charge at a 150kW instavolt charger on the way back, expecting to get at least 50kW if not the 100kW the MG website mentions.
On the way home, stopped at the instavolt, it started at 22kW then slowly dropped down to 8.. So I stopped it and reconnected, and it did the same thing.
After waiting ages and giving up, deciding to go to a tesla station, I noticed the car next to me was going at 120kW so the chargers were fine...
Got to Tesla charger, max 250kW, so figured I'd have better luck. First charger wouldn't work, so moved to a second.
Batter was at about 16% when I plugged in, started charging at about 39kW, and started to slow down to 36kW by 50%, and jumped up to 41kW just before I decided to unplug at 55% with enough miles to get home.

What I expected to be a 2.5 - 3 hour journey with a single charging stop, became a 4 hour journey and 3 charge attempts.
You started charging too early to begin with I think.

To maximise charging speed and stops set off from home with 100 and wind it all the way down to 10-15% before charging.

I can drive to London from North Yorkshire (240 miles) with one stop in my SR ZS easily like this and in summer I'd be getting about 50-60kW peak charging speed for a period.

The failures are interesting though. I usually have an flawless experience on Tesla chargers.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Sat Nav map screen press the button with 3 dots.
Then press the button More Settings.
Then press Manage Features.
Slide the slider next to Dead Reckoning to turn it off.
Does anyone have a simple explanation as to what Dead Reckoning actually does? Either on or off

Does anyone have a simple explanation as to what Dead Reckoning actually does? Either on or off
Technically dead reconning is calculating the current position based on the last known position and taking into consideration vehicle speed and direction.
In the context of gps and sat nav I believe that when switched off it only uses gps to determine your position. If on then it also adds vehicle speed and direction to the gps coordinates to calculate the estimated position.

If on then it also adds vehicle speed and direction to the gps coordinates to calculate the estimated position.
I believe it adds speed and direction to the last known position from when GPS was working, and if GPS is working, it doesn't modify the position that GPS gives.

Technically dead reconning is calculating the current position based on the last known position and taking into consideration vehicle speed and direction.
In the context of gps and sat nav I believe that when switched off it only uses gps to determine your position. If on then it also adds vehicle speed and direction to the gps coordinates to calculate the estimated position.
I think "It's supposed to keep the sat-nav on course when you lose satellite signal" is the simpler explanation. (Joke) :)

ZE EV 2022 heater ticking noise also present in our car. Definitely not the fan as the frequency of the tick doesn't change with fan speed change. Car went into dealer yesterday and they tested against a brand new MG which had the same faint tick. Said it was "as designed!". Can only assume its part of the heating element control, some kind of capacitor or something. Annoying but I guess its a budget car!

ZE EV 2022 heater ticking noise also present in our car. Definitely not the fan as the frequency of the tick doesn't change with fan speed change. Car went into dealer yesterday and they tested against a brand new MG which had the same faint tick. Said it was "as designed!". Can only assume its part of the heating element control, some kind of capacitor or something. Annoying but I guess its a budget car!
I believe that some have a 'tick' noise when driving as the plastic panel at the bottom of the windscreen rubs the windscreen making a clicking noise. I have read a few people have removed the panel and fitted some sort of comfort tape so the plastic doesn't touch the windscreen.
Might be worth double checking if the noise is only there when driving or stationary as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that some have a 'tick' noise when driving as the plastic panel at the bottom of the windscreen rubs the windscreen making a clicking noise. I have read a few people have removed the panel and fitted some sort of comfort tape so the plastic doesn't touch the windscreen.
Might be worth double checking it the noise is only there when driving or stationary as well.
Yes you are right, however our ticking is also present when the car is stationary.

It's normal. The heating element is controlled with a PWM signal circuit, this switches the heater on and off repeatedly to achieve the set temp. The higher the temp difference the more rapid the clicks. Nothing to worry about.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom