• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Completely dead this morning

None of your issues are EV-related. We have completely changed to EVs over a year ago now and had no real issues whatsoever. We have been to Italy multiple times with a small child (400 miles away). All worked perfectly fine. There are lots of things to optimise still, but electric mobility works.
I’m not sure it’s not EV related. The electric car failed to maintain the charge in the 12V battery. Anyway I’ve plenty of other issues that are certainly EV related.

And my thinking is that considering I’m compromising things you’d normally take for granted in a petrol car, for instance not having to search for chargers in the pissing rain on medium length journeys etc, the least I’d expect from a brand new super duper electric vehicle is for it not to break down after three months.

The dealer couldn’t give a monkeys either which has wound me right up to be honest. They can stick their car where the sun don’t shine.

If you are that easily put off you should stick with what you know. You have to be at least a little flexible when using technology of any sort. This type of thing is relative minor. Nothing is perfect. Good luck.
I’m not reallyv easily put off and there are plenty other compromises I’ve made and things I’ve put up with in this car. And then it breaks down after 3 months. Why the hell should I put up with that. I can foresee a world of pain if I keep this car so I’m taking the decision to get rid.

I’m not sure it’s not EV related. The electric car failed to maintain the charge in the 12V battery. Anyway I’ve plenty of other issues that are certainly EV related.

And my thinking is that considering I’m compromising things you’d normally take for granted in a petrol car, for instance not having to search for chargers in the pissing rain on medium length journeys etc, the least I’d expect from a brand new super duper electric vehicle is for it not to break down after three months.

The dealer couldn’t give a monkeys either which has wound me right up to be honest. They can stick their car where the sun don’t shine.

I’m not reallyv easily put off and there are plenty other compromises I’ve made and things I’ve put up with in this car. And then it breaks down after 3 months. Why the hell should I put up with that. I can foresee a world of pain if I keep this car so I’m taking the decision to get rid.
Sorry to hear about your issues, might not have agreed on everything but I don't like to hear about people having issues, despite what some may think.
Very interested to hear about Perth's attitude to faults as they weren't bothered during the whole time I had my car on order with them, seems that attitude has continued!

What other issues were you having?

Sorry to hear about your issues, might not have agreed on everything but I don't like to hear about people having issues, despite what some may think.
Very interested to hear about Perth's attitude to faults as they weren't bothered during the whole time I had my car on order with them, seems that attitude has continued!

What other issues were you having?
Haha mate the only reason we didn’t agree was because I was blindly sticking up for this car and ignoring the issues! 🤣

A lot of the usual that everyone else has reported to be honest.

Random loss of power
Random emergency braking
Oil leak
Lane keep assist danger
Active cruise control not fit for purpose
Bent under panel
Traffic sign recognition constantly wrong and flashing at me
Radio never keeps signal
Sound system not right with low volume from phone tunes
Other smaller stuff…

Then the draining of the battery resulting in total breakdown.

I wrote them a massive email with all the issues and nobody has even acknowledged it. I think that says it all about the dealer.

Sounds like your one is an extreme example, probably a lemon. Good luck with your next purchase. Although I’d say this may be limited to MG4 as it’s a new platform. Don’t be completely put off by EV’s we’ve had BMW I3’s, Tesla Model S,3 and Y and they’ve been utterly reliable. (Probably just more mature / smarter software.. eg charging the 12v battery when it’s low from the big one when necessary!)

Haha mate the only reason we didn’t agree was because I was blindly sticking up for this car and ignoring the issues! 🤣

A lot of the usual that everyone else has reported to be honest.

Random loss of power
Random emergency braking
Oil leak
Lane keep assist danger
Active cruise control not fit for purpose
Bent under panel
Traffic sign recognition constantly wrong and flashing at me
Radio never keeps signal
Sound system not right with low volume from phone tunes
Other smaller stuff…

Then the draining of the battery resulting in total breakdown.

I wrote them a massive email with all the issues and nobody has even acknowledged it. I think that says it all about the dealer.
Sounds like you have almost a full house of faults, yours seems one a small few that has all the reported faults.
The fact Perth had your car, as it was the showroom one, for so long is really poor that they let it leave the showroom with some of them, the fact they are ignoring you is indefensible.

Just heard back from MG. They are trying to work out what is wrong but it isn’t the 12v battery. Now checking all the fuses one by one which triggers a lot of iSMART alerts.

Not good, basically they have now had the car longer than you had it, if I have my dates right, please correct me if I'm wrong.
The fact they don't know what's wrong with it is a worry, not sure how long I would give them in your position before I'd be asking for another car. I personally would lose confidence in a new car if the garage had it more than I did in the early part of ownership

Not good, basically they have now had the car longer than you had it, if I have my dates right, please correct me if I'm wrong.
The fact they don't know what's wrong with it is a worry, not sure how long I would give them in your position before I'd be asking for another car. I personally would lose confidence in a new car if the garage had it more than I did in the early part of ownership
Clearly MG are struggling to do remote diagnosis of some issues. Not sure what the root cause is but perhaps their diagnostic tools are lacking and maybe the Chinese techs are overwhelmed given how little the dealers can do. Putting tools in the hands of dealers is essential to scale fault diagnosis and speedy resolution.

Other marques have had similar issues but MG seem particularly bad for this.

To be fair to MG they only got it yesterday. AA took 3 tries to collect it, then tried to deliver it to the wrong garage.

Oh dear. Not the AA I fondly remember then. That's awful - did they compensate you?
Not really. They got around to offering me a hire car on Friday (nissan Leaf - not a fan) but I’m supposed to return it Monday morning at which point I believe MG are responsible for providing me with something.

Not really. They got around to offering me a hire car on Friday (nissan Leaf - not a fan) but I’m supposed to return it Monday morning at which point I believe MG are responsible for providing me with something.
Responsible for providing you the car you bought and haven't even had for a week yet👍

They ordered a new body control module, and now want both sets of keys as apparently they will need to re-initialise the keys. I’m still getting a lot of alerts on the app.

Seems as though the Ioniq 5 is another EV having 12v battery issues
Owning an Ioniq 5 I am following both the international and the German Facebook group. Interestingly the 12V issue seems to be significantly more frequent in the US and lots of cars are rejected/bought back by Hyundai.

There are 12V issues in Germany, too, but I have read only about a few cases here. The biggest problem seems to be parts availability.

Otherwise the Ioniq 5 is a rather excellent car. :)

Update : After getting the car back last week, the car was not charging on schedule, had a max speed limit of 69-70 and seemed to have lower power too. It went straight back to the dealer, another "update" and the car is back to normal. Seems good so far! Have to say the dealer in Beaconsfield has been super responsive and even offered a Mercedes EV if they needed the MG4 longer for MG HQ to look at the car.

Update : After getting the car back last week, the car was not charging on schedule, had a max speed limit of 69-70 and seemed to have lower power too. It went straight back to the dealer, another "update" and the car is back to normal. Seems good so far! Have to say the dealer in Beaconsfield has been super responsive and even offered a Mercedes EV if they needed the MG4 longer for MG HQ to look at the car.
Read the same story in the German Facebook group. Some SE models came back from updates with reduced performance and according to the dealerships a new update is due for April to rectify this.

12v batteries are unfortunatey very old technolgy now and the manufaxturing in the last 10 years has become very poor. 5 year warrenty on a lead acid battery is a joke now. I have had 3 batteries die on me in my last ICE car. Each had so called 5 year warrenty. None could be replaced free because of small print in the warrenty. It is 19th century in 21st century technology.
Anyway I hope they are able to cure your problem soon.
I agree. My 2007 Honda Civic, (owned since new for 16 years now), original battery lasted 10 years. In the six years since expiring I am now on my third battery. I have a golf trolly leisure battery that must be about 15 years old and still good.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back