Completely dead this morning

Lately, Elon has been talking about skipping 24V "accessory" batteries, and jumping straight to 48V for the Cybertruck.
Yes, 48V means lower current so thinner wires and saves a bunch on wiring. However, there is not a well formed 48V 3rd party supplier ecosystem, so modifying a Cybertruck could be hard.

Two attempts to recover the car, still hasn’t moved off my driveway. Second lorry said he has spent the day picking up MG’s which is a little discouraging.
What’s the problem with recovery?

We were told to expect 12V battery issues back in 2020, with freshly-built cars stuck in dockyards & factory storage yards for months.
3 years later, I have to wonder if manufacturers are still installing lockdown-era 12V batteries? :unsure:
Possibly they could be

Two attempts to recover the car, still hasn’t moved off my driveway. Second lorry said he has spent the day picking up MG’s which is a little discouraging.
Doesn't sound like he's very good at it 🤣 sorry for the dark humour

What do you mean, get your money back if there are faults?

Yes
Complete rejection of the car is easy within 30 days for a fault (not just because you’ve changed your mind or whatever)
They don’t have to have an opportunity to repair it.
So if you have any doubts and want to sack it off, you sack it off quick.

The 12v batteries used in most EV’s were never designed for them. Once again an ICE design - for use when heavy discharge and cranking of an engine is needed. They don’t perform that great in EV’s by comparison- but they’re cheap. Some EV’s now use Lithium Ion 12v batteries.
Lets be honest the MG warranty for the 12v battery is 12 months**
**Note All 12V Battery claims are limited to a maximum £100.00 pay out
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Says it all all??

I think I'll be getting a Varta (H063?), in the near future, certainly before next winter just for peace of mind!, as they come with a 4/5 year warranty as standard

Yes, I’m a little surprised that the 12v doesn’t have a longer warranty. Is 12 months the industry standard fir a 12v?

Yes, I’m a little surprised that the 12v doesn’t have a longer warranty. Is 12 months the industry standard fir a 12v?
I'm not sure, I've come accross from VW - so for the past 20 years when ever i've needed a new battery (every 6 years?) I've just looked on the label, and every time its been a varta underneath - hence just go to tayna batteries and order a varta silver

EDIT : Ive just checked it for my T-Roc : Factory Warranty Terms & Conditions | Volkswagen UK

It looks like VW give 3 years for the 12v battery?

"The 12 volt batteries, 48 volt batteries, any batteries used in mild hybrid vehicles and the high voltage batteries used in hybrid vehicles are warranted against all defects in materials and workmanship for 3 years or up to 60,000 miles, whichever comes first."

Last edited:
Baffles me what some people will claim for.
5 days, fair play, claim.
A year plus though, who has the time and energy to go to your dealer about a 12V battery?
I see it as a consumable, same as wipers

Well, the legal warranty period in the European Union is two years for ANYTHING.
No it's not .. depending on your understanding of the word "warranty". ;)

The EU directive (from which consumer legislation in all EU countries is derived) defines warranty as the seller being able to support repair etc. of any goods for a minimum of 2 years; it does not mean that the goods must last 2 years or be replaced free of charge. :)

No it's not .. depending on your understanding of the word "warranty". ;)

The EU directive (from which consumer legislation in all EU countries is derived) defines warranty as the seller being able to support repair etc. of any goods for a minimum of 2 years; it does not mean that the goods must last 2 years or be replaced free of charge. :)
That’s not true. Please have a look:

Bless Eber, I've only ever had a german car from a
Ford puma
BMW Z4
VW Tiguan
VW T5
VW T-Roc
to the MG4

... so am not worried in the slightest :rolleyes:

That’s not true. Please have a look:

Sorry but that says exactly what I said. :) As a reminder:

it does not mean that the goods must last 2 years or be replaced free of charge. :)
To clarify ... if the goods don't last 2 years then the seller must provide a remedy - repair, replace, refund - but the replacement doesn't have to be a new item, just one that is equivalent to the one that failed. Similarly a refund doesn't have to be in full.

(It should also be noted that this is guidance - EU countries [and the UK was part of the EU at the time] were free to draft their own consumer laws in line with the directive. The UK for example doesn't reimburse in full once the goods are >6 months old ... and there are also exceptions to the 6 month rule - cars being one of them). :)

Last edited:
To clarify ... if the goods don't last 2 years then the seller must provide a remedy - repair, replace, refund - but the replacement doesn't have to be a new item, just one that is equivalent to the one that failed. Similarly a refund doesn't have to be in full.
Well, I might have understood you wrong then. I was focusing on the two years period, you seem to be keen on the process of rectifying. Of course you won't get a new item as soon as you discover a fault. Of course the dealer has a right to repair it. Of course there are local differences in the EU countries (e. g. in Germany we have the "Beweislastumkehr": in the first year it is assumed that the item was faulty from the beginning, in the second year the customer has to prove that).

My point merely was that MG doesn't necessarily recognize even national grace periods for warranty (while suggesting a longer one which really doesn't even comply with national law).

I dont think there was ever an instance where the average Brit ever expected a 2 year warranty on anything.

Its pretty much 1 year as standard

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 483 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 82 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel