"Current energy consumption trends" graph always blank

So we have this problem on our Trophy and thought it must be that the distance was too short for it to get data from until.....
We have a demo SE at the minute while ours is back in garage (yes again) for the AC charge problem to be fixed. On this car it does populate and lots of data and this car is only doing a few miles at a time with it being a demo. Its running R13 so I would say they broke something in the updates yet again

whist this is slightly OT - did anyone see this:-

i.e winter motorway driving in very expensive EV's - they all did around 70-80% of what they suggested they would do! - which is fine - but what I couldn't just get over that the BMW & Merc was 4 x the price of my MG4 which does exactly the same, tesla was quite suprising in that it did over 4miles / KW

Tesla are interesting in how they deal with the battery they take any heat produced by the motor during use and put that into the battery pack, so using waste heat to help warm up the pack that's how they maintain decent winter mi/kWh levels.

No one else seems to have done this, which seems like a rather trivial thing to do considering unless Tesla managed to patent this idea

I was watching a TV review of the MG4 recently and the reviewer said that the LFP or Blade battery is only available in the SR spec 125kw version however after reading specs online it seems to be available in all spec MG4's and other MG EV's. Perhaps someone can confirm that.
Hope so as this battery is in all BYD EV'S and has been tested to be virtually indestructable and fire resistant compared to others and supposedly is good for 4,000 cycles or 1 million miles. :p
Hey there, I saw the same on a video this morning saying that Long Range was NCM only… I wonder if they didn’t bring the LFP to the long Range to try and keep the cost down. I’m sure there is other reasons maybe to do with range etc.

Hey there, I saw the same on a video this morning saying that Long Range was NCM only… I wonder if they didn’t bring the LFP to the long Range to try and keep the cost down. I’m sure there is other reasons maybe to do with range etc.

I believe the LFP battery isn't as power dense as the NCM battery. In other words to get the same amount of range from the LFP as the NCM you need a bigger volume which would mean a different floor pan.
The question is what battery type are they going to put in the extended range?

Tesla are interesting in how they deal with the battery they take any heat produced by the motor during use and put that into the battery pack, so using waste heat to help warm up the pack that's how they maintain decent winter mi/kWh levels.

No one else seems to have done this, which seems like a rather trivial thing to do considering unless Tesla managed to patent this idea
Wow I never knew this! - thank-you - every day is a learning day!, it was more than 25% more efficient than the rest! - not too bad if you have access to cheap electricity, but if you have to rely on the public charging network, then one would imaging quite a few quid over a year?

I wonder if this was the patent?

Wow I never knew this! - thank-you - every day is a learning day!, it was more than 25% more efficient than the rest! - not too bad if you have access to cheap electricity, but if you have to rely on the public charging network, then one would imaging quite a few quid over a year?

I wonder if this was the patent?

Does look like it, but it does seem like an obvious thing to while an electric motor won't get as hot as an ICE it still produces heat and why not use that 🤷🏻‍♂️

A few reports say they all have the EFP battery but many say it is only fitted to the SR and the LR and Trophy have the NCM battery.
The reviewer in the video I saw seemed to know his stuff and recommended the SR model for those who do shorter suburban trips as the LFB battery is more efficient, safer and will last forever.
Obviously the extra 60 miles or so range of the LR would suit those who do longer trips on a regular basis.

I was watching a TV review of the MG4 recently and the reviewer said that the LFP or Blade battery is only available in the SR spec 125kw version however after reading specs online it seems to be available in all spec MG4's and other MG EV's. Perhaps someone can confirm that.
Hope so as this battery is in all BYD EV'S and has been tested to be virtually indestructable and fire resistant compared to others and supposedly is good for 4,000 cycles or 1 million miles. :p
the lfp is avialeble in all trims, we just aint getting them
Eu for example only gets the lower trim with lfp.
i can understand the attractiveness off this lfp
same daily range of the LR64 bechose we can charge it to 100% vs 80%

the lfp is avialeble in all trims, we just aint getting them
Eu for example only gets the lower trim with lfp.
i can understand the attractiveness off this lfp
same daily range of the LR64 bechose we can charge it to 100% vs 80%
(y) - I'm never sure these days if we're (from the UK) are part of the EU or not, but we are thankfully part of europe - and its the same here the LFP is only available in the basic SE model in the UK

(y) - I'm never sure these days if we're (from the UK) are part of the EU or not, but we are thankfully part of europe - and its the same here the LFP is only available in the basic SE model in the UK
Just don't benefit from the heatpump option like those supplied by MG Europe

... this is a bit of a newbe EV owner question (so hard hats on) - what is the purpose of the heatpump? - in recent months - I've also been presented in the morning when its cold to switch on intelligent heating (UK here, so dont have a heatpump)?, again what is its purpose? - is it to heat the cabin? - as do find that the heating is so much quicker than an ICE on cold icy mornings in anycase! - apols for the daft question!

... this is a bit of a newbe EV owner question (so hard hats on) - what is the purpose of the heatpump? - in recent months - I've also been presented in the morning when its cold to switch on intelligent heating (UK here, so dont have a heatpump)?, again what is its purpose? - is it to heat the cabin? - as do find that the heating is so much quicker than an ICE on cold icy mornings in anycase! - apols for the daft question!
A heat pump is like an AC compressor in reverse, instead of trying to get rid of heat from the compressor circuit and get lovely cold air into the cabin a heat pump is trying to get heat out of the outdoor air and put it into the cabin.

They're more efficient than the PTC heaters found in EVs as standard. Essentially they use less power.

The intelligent heating that your MG4 asks you about at around 9C and below is to do with heating the battery it takes a lot of power to do this around 7kW, it's only of real benefit of you're going to be travelling to a rapid charger.

It can in theory also improve battery performance in cold weather but for the amount of energy it uses the benefit is negligible unless you're hooked up to your charger at home and do it off the mains but then it's still costing pounds shillings and pence to do it.

I believe the LFP battery isn't as power dense as the NCM battery. In other words to get the same amount of range from the LFP as the NCM you need a bigger volume which would mean a different floor pan.
The question is what battery type are they going to put in the extended range?
The BYD Atto 3 LR has a 60.5kwh LFP battery and the range is around 263 miles. The SR model with the 50kwh LFP battery is around 215 miles range.
I believe it was BYD in China who 'perfected' the current Blade LFP battery and were the first to use it in their EV's.

Last edited:
Thanks Ayoull - perfect explanation! - at the end of the day its all down to the unit cost of electricity! - I'm filling my boots using 750KW+ / month, at least for the next 18 months for car & home! (@4.5p/KHr via french? - EDF nuclear energy)- and its still less (almost!) than the £67 that I receive back from our HM Government - what a shambles! - it just cant be right - but its true!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 531 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back