DAB RADIO

Here is the email sent to Guy Pigounakis. Let's see what sort of answer is produced.

Dear Mr Pigounakis

You will be aware of the DAB Radio situation on MG HS cars, (and possibly other models), where, because of a global shortage of semiconductor components and closure of an MG supplier, a temporary solution has been adopted to allow sales to continue.
You may not be aware of the growing concern, evident on consumer fora, among affected MG HS owners, which must number many thousands. There is widespread dissatisfaction with the temporary fix which is clumsy and unsightly, often does not work and loses much radio functionality. This has been compounded by an unhelpful response from MG Customer Service when contacted about the problem. There will soon be adverse publicity in the motoring media, legal action against dealers, or even Class Action if something is not done to resolve the issue satisfactorily. This will damage MG's reputation and have an adverse impact on sales. There are already indications of orders being cancelled.
I understand that MG cars now being sold in the UK have fully functional DAB Radios. It should therefore be possible to resolve the matter by recall where the component, or even the Display Unit, is replaced. It would be helpful if MG were to issue a statement indicating that such a recall will happen within a reasonably short, defined timescale. I would be grateful if you would look at this.
Let’s hope you get a positive response.

Here is the rather unsatisfactory response:

"Thank you for your email below.

Guy is away from the business at present but has acknowledged your concerns regarding the DAB antenna and asked me to respond.

Firstly, could I ask if you currently own an MG vehicle that has the DAB antenna solution fitted?

Reading the below, you are correct that the global semiconductor shortage forced MG to create an alternative DAB option. MG, unlike some other manufacturers, chose to create a solution to ensure customers could receive their new vehicles with a radio rather than delivering a vehicle with no head unit or halting delivery altogether,

MG released this solution to our dealer network and asked for all dealers to notify customers of the possibility of the antenna fitment before their vehicle arrived. Unfortunately, we are aware that have been some occasions where this conversation has been missed.

Moving forward, MG are aware that some customers are unhappy with the DAB antenna solution and we currently looking into what options are available to remove the antenna from the windscreen. MG will therefore release another communication to our dealership network when and if another solution is available.

Unfortunately, we do not have a confirmed timeframe on the above at the moment but please be reassured that MG are looking into this."

Here is my reply:

"Thank you for your email..
I am owner of a MG HS PHEV Exclusive with the DAB antenna fitted to the windscreen. I was not informed of the problem by the selling dealer prior to purchase. Nor was there any indication on the MG website. Many others are in this same position.
You say MG are aware that some customers are unhappy with the DAB antenna solution. This understates the scale of the problem. Dissatisfied customers must number thousands.
You do not comment on possible solutions suggested and indicate that it is not possible to provide a timeframe within which a solution will be found. I shall put your response on the MG HS PHEV Forum so that others are aware of this disappointing position. When Mr Pigounakis returns, it would be helpful if he could confirm that finding a satisfactory solution is being given high priority."

It might help if others send similar emails to MG.

This is absolute BS I was at the dealer last week and they insisted that this is definitely a temporary solution. They even claimed they had contacted MG.

Someone is lying here, I’m at the dealer on Friday and I’m quite happy to provide their details and the email correspondence I’ve had with them on the matter. I have not taken delivery yet because of this on going issue, if it’s not resolved by Friday then I will be cancelling. Feel free to screen grab and forward on.

This is absolute BS I was at the dealer last week and they insisted that this is definitely a temporary solution. They even claimed they had contacted MG.

Someone is lying here, I’m at the dealer on Friday and I’m quite happy to provide their details and the email correspondence I’ve had with them on the matter. I have not taken delivery yet because of this on going issue, if it’s not resolved by Friday then I will be cancelling. Feel free to screen grab and forward on.
I would be helpful if you would contact MG directly, ([email protected]). Many people need to do this if we are to achieve a satisfactory result. Complaining here will not help.

The phrase 'if and when' does not bode well, their get out of jail free card?
What I don't understand is my PHEV arrived in March 22 and the DAB was, and is, working fine, so why cannot MG with their resources revert back to what they manufactured before the DAB problem arose? The excuse of 'no chips' is rather out of date nowadays. Maybe, as the HS is coming to its end of manufacture, MG are just assembling what that have around the plant and are no longer interested in the PHEV market, so its 'that'll do'.
The apparent lack of and conflicting dealer knowledge in general seems many went to the Arthur Daley school of motor traders. This does not give the general public much confidence in the product or the UK support from dealers or MG.
I don't think my next car will be an MG.

The phrase 'if and when' does not bode well, their get out of jail free card?
What I don't understand is my PHEV arrived in March 22 and the DAB was, and is, working fine, so why cannot MG with their resources revert back to what they manufactured before the DAB problem arose? The excuse of 'no chips' is rather out of date nowadays. Maybe, as the HS is coming to its end of manufacture, MG are just assembling what that have around the plant and are no longer interested in the PHEV market, so its 'that'll do'.
The apparent lack of and conflicting dealer knowledge in general seems many went to the Arthur Daley school of motor traders. This does not give the general public much confidence in the product or the UK support from dealers or MG.
I don't think my next car will be an MG.
My understanding of the issue is the manufacturer of the radio head units or the DAB section of it went bust, so there is no chance of going back as somewhere in the supply chain a key bit doesn't exist. Why they can't go to a different manufacturer and say "We have a hole this big in the dashboard, fill it with a radio" is another question.

I would be helpful if you would contact MG directly, ([email protected]). Many people need to do this if we are to achieve a satisfactory result. Complaining here will not help.
Have emailed Guy Pigounakis with similar content to yours, plus the fact that I don't think the temporary fix meets Sale of Goods Act criteria in respect of fitness for purpose and therefore is not of merchantable quality inasmuch as it doesn't work properly, etc, I suppose there will be the standard response but at least it's another complaint to MG.

Have emailed Guy Pigounakis with similar content to yours, plus the fact that I don't think the temporary fix meets Sale of Goods Act criteria in respect of fitness for purpose and therefore is not of merchantable quality inasmuch as it doesn't work properly, etc, I suppose there will be the standard response but at least it's another complaint to MG.
Excellent. The more the merrier!

Hi guys, same issue here. Not on the hybrid model though. I test drove the car at Richmond Southampton, and at no point did they mention the dab radio issue. I sent an email like people mentioned above. Looks like I got the same generic reply back.

"Thank you for your email.

Reading the below, you are correct that the global semiconductor shortage forced MG to create an alternative DAB option.

MG, unlike some other manufacturers, chose to create a solution to ensure customers could receive their new vehicles with a radio rather than delivering a vehicle with no head unit or halting delivery altogether.

MG are aware that some customers are unhappy with the DAB antenna solution and we currently looking into what options are available to remove the antenna from the windscreen.

MG will therefore release another communication to our dealership network when and if another solution is available.

Unfortunately, we do not have a confirmed timeframe on the above at the moment but please be reassured that MG are looking into this.

Regards"

really frustrating as if they had said, I wouldn't have bothered getting an HS. Feel conned. DAB wouldn't be so much though if the bloody android auto connection would work properly. Mine is really intermittent. One day it works the next it doesn't.

Hi guys, same issue here. Not on the hybrid model though. I test drove the car at Richmond Southampton, and at no point did they mention the dab radio issue. I sent an email like people mentioned above. Looks like I got the same generic reply back.

"Thank you for your email.

Reading the below, you are correct that the global semiconductor shortage forced MG to create an alternative DAB option.

MG, unlike some other manufacturers, chose to create a solution to ensure customers could receive their new vehicles with a radio rather than delivering a vehicle with no head unit or halting delivery altogether.

MG are aware that some customers are unhappy with the DAB antenna solution and we currently looking into what options are available to remove the antenna from the windscreen.

MG will therefore release another communication to our dealership network when and if another solution is available.

Unfortunately, we do not have a confirmed timeframe on the above at the moment but please be reassured that MG are looking into this.

Regards"

really frustrating as if they had said, I wouldn't have bothered getting an HS. Feel conned. DAB wouldn't be so much though if the bloody android auto connection would work properly. Mine is really intermittent. One day it works the next it doesn't.
Same standard reply as Leepearce18's. No mention of my comment about the Sale of Goods Act, though. Wonder what can be read into this?

We just to keep all informed. I have just taken ownership of my MG HS. Guess what. It has the "Temporary" retrofit solution. I was not even made aware by the dealership during the test drive, or handover. Its a small issue, but angry with MG for not being professional in resolving the issue. And with the dealerships tactics. I am now quite confident that both MG and there dealerships are working together on this. I cannot get any confirmations or updates from my dealership, Luscombes of Leeds as to when any recall will take place. It is clear that both are hoping that the noise will eventually tail off.

We just to keep all informed. I have just taken ownership of my MG HS. Guess what. It has the "Temporary" retrofit solution. I was not even made aware by the dealership during the test drive, or handover. Its a small issue, but angry with MG for not being professional in resolving the issue. And with the dealerships tactics. I am now quite confident that both MG and there dealerships are working together on this. I cannot get any confirmations or updates from my dealership, Luscombes of Leeds as to when any recall will take place. It is clear that both are hoping that the noise will eventually tail off.
Things will eventually tail off unless many more owners contact MG about the issue and contact the motoring media.

Oh dear this does not make good reading. I am picking my new PHEV up on Friday and to be honest was informed of the tempory fix for the DAB. I did think that this was a short term issue but reading through this thread it's been ongoing for some time now. I know it's not a big issue but one that will wear you down over time.
Can I ask you owners with this temp fix does the FM radio still work or does it not have that either?

Still looking forward to picking up my new car but dreading the site of a stick on arieal and dangling wires not very professional is it sadly.

Paul

PS forum is great read most posts on here researching. I hope I can contribute positively in the future 👍

Oh dear this does not make good reading. I am picking my new PHEV up on Friday and to be honest was informed of the tempory fix for the DAB. I did think that this was a short term issue but reading through this thread it's been ongoing for some time now. I know it's not a big issue but one that will wear you down over time.
Can I ask you owners with this temp fix does the FM radio still work or does it not have that either?

Still looking forward to picking up my new car but dreading the site of a stick on arieal and dangling wires not very professional is it sadly.

Paul

PS forum is great read most posts on Herefo researching. I hope I can contribute positively in the future 👍
Hi Kerno,

It's not great news is it. Welcome to the club.

My FM radio works fine and does store channels in favorites but there is no RDS signal so no station names, dj or song title etc. Which is also another thing to add to the list of annoyance.

Hi all, I noticed that MG have released details of the new HS face-lift model. In the schpill they qoute "The 10.1’’ infotainment system has been upgraded with enhanced hardware, allowing faster and smoother functionality."
Great stuff and now having seen the interior pictures it obvious that nothing about the interior has changed. The "new" infotainment system seems to be exactly the same profile as the one we all have.

So this begs the question, if they now have a new supplier of infotainment systems, that work as they should, why can't we have the same version installed in our cars?

Assuming they have actually fixed the issue and the new cars do have a dab radio 🤣

For me the DAB problem is not a small one especially when combined with M.G's #### you customer service attitude. Just spent 3 hours in my little Kia and the flawless operation of its DAB/Media system vastly helped happily pass this time. Still think the 4 is a fundamentally good product - but no way I would currently buy one.

Hi all, I noticed that MG have released details of the new HS face-lift model. In the schpill they qoute "The 10.1’’ infotainment system has been upgraded with enhanced hardware, allowing faster and smoother functionality."
Great stuff and now having seen the interior pictures it obvious that nothing about the interior has changed. The "new" infotainment system seems to be exactly the same profile as the one we all have.

So this begs the question, if they now have a new supplier of infotainment systems, that work as they should, why can't we have the same version installed in our cars?

Assuming they have actually fixed the issue and the new cars do have a dab radio 🤣
Hi Lee thanks for your response. At least it does have FM. I will probably just use Android Auto and stream the radio through an app. Works great in my Insignia.
Let's hope if they have it it sorted for the face lifted model they will see fit to retro fit the new units in our vehicles.
Here's hoping

Paul

I think we all need to understand something. this is what it is, MG will not be replacing or fixing these radios. the DAB set up is frankly rubbish, the sound quality, search facilities etc are like going back 15 years. As someone who deals with Chinese companies I can tell you that their attitude will be we've got your money now, we don't care. my solution will be to get rid of the car as soon as I can get a decent offer - probably before winter and the drastic drop off of Kwh performance and never get another MG.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom