Dashcam install

Do you think the car is ā€œoffā€, and itā€™s saying you will receive infotainment functions back when the car is started again?
That sounds plausible, donā€™t do anything youā€™re not comfortable with though. My radio was on throughout install, I used power off like you. Maybe I should have done something differently eg disconnect the 12v battery? My thoughts were that Iā€™m only effectively plugging in fuses and thought this would be OK, perhaps Iā€™m wrong/naive

So then. I've shot myself in the foot here, and didn't read the beginning of this thread before going ahead with the install. I need a bloody Micro3 piggy back - ordered one now and it should hopefully come by the weekend.

I've left the wire threaded through, so hopefully it should be a plug in and go job when it arrives. Thanks for the help @Crawfyp

So then. I've shot myself in the foot here, and didn't read the beginning of this thread before going ahead with the install. I need a bloody Micro3 piggy back - ordered one now and it should hopefully come by the weekend.

I've left the wire threaded through, so hopefully it should be a plug in and go job when it arrives. Thanks for the help @Crawfyp
No worries mate, should be a doddle when you get the connector. And you still have all your fingers, thumbs, eyebrows etc?

Installed today, dashcam and underseat LEDs working. Not sure if the fuses I am using are correct. Are you using 20a fuses in both slots of the two piggyback connectors? I can only see the top fuse on each connector in your picture #70
5A fuses only for me. 20A is excessive for a couple of USB devices. I wouldnā€™t imagine theyā€™re drawing more than 2A or so

Anyone seen this custom dash cam I've just come across on Amazon? Whilst I'm sure there's better quality cameras out there, from an aesthetics perspective, it'll be interesting to hear views on if you think this could be worth a go...

MG4 Dash Cam

Anyone seen this custom dash cam I've just come across on Amazon? Whilst I'm sure there's better quality cameras out there, from an aesthetics perspective, it'll be interesting to hear views on if you think this could be worth a go...

MG4 Dash Cam
It would be nice to see the installation instructions for this, it looks like you need to remove the existing front camera cover.

Ah, thanks a lot for posting, as I'm about to install my dashcam in our new trophy (like you, taken from our traded in ZS EV). Regarding location of the cabin fuse box, I've read "by the driver's knee" before, but which knee - left or right? I don't want to go disturbing the internal trim unnecessarily, so I'd like to know whether it's the door side (right) or left (console) side?

I had NextBase 322GW front and rear dash cams installed by one of their appointed installers. i had previously bought an OBD power cable from Amazon and used that instead of fiddling around with the fuse box.

The dashcam is mounted next to the rearview mirror and I can use the admittedly small screen to get an additional view of whatā€™s happening behind me - useful if I ever have 3 passengers in the back.

Note you cannot pair your phone to 2 Bluetooth devices at the same time so I pair to the car rather than to the dashcam

Amazon product ASIN B09N3QVMX1

Ah, thanks a lot for posting, as I'm about to install my dashcam in our new trophy (like you, taken from our traded in ZS EV). Regarding location of the cabin fuse box, I've read "by the driver's knee" before, but which knee - left or right? I don't want to go disturbing the internal trim unnecessarily, so I'd like to know whether it's the door side (right) or left (console) side?
A quick read through this very thread will answer your questions, post #90 shows fuse access point

MG4 Dash Cam
1 seller with currently no feedback ... means they're buying from AliExpress (likely) and drop-shipping. (Or they're already an AliExpress seller).

1 seller with currently no feedback ... means they're buying from AliExpress (likely) and drop-shipping. (Or they're already an AliExpress seller).
Great minds...I did have a very quick search on there, but didn't turn anything up. It was only a quick check though.

MG4 Dash Cam
It looks good in pictures and should be technically be easy to install but I'd never trust the seller and you have no idea of the quality of it. I'm looking at the Auto-Vox V5PRO instead, similar OEM look and can also double as a reversing camera for my SE

Hi. Iā€™ve finally got the fuse. Ended up putting the ā€œswitchedā€ one into its own socket - F46, which is unused by default. The permanent live is in F21.

From my testing, the switched fuses only become live once the car turns on properly, which is when it detects a driver in the seat and the infotainment and dashboard come on

This is perfect for a dashcam, but not so good for my footwell lightsā€¦ Iā€™ll have to find a solution for thoseā€¦. But the main thing is that the dashcam is working as it should.

Hereā€™s a photo of my fuses for reference. Itā€™s hard to see exactly where theyā€™re attached, since the piggybacks are 90 degrees to the fuse board. View attachment 13943
Thanks for sharing. I successfully hardwired my dash cam using your method šŸ‘

Had my Nextbase front and rear camera installation the other day and took a few photos which might help anyone else tackling the job. I didn't take any photos of the wiring as that's been covered elsewhere in this thread, but I thought people may like to see how to access the fuse panel and some of the trim panels. The grommet is the one I had to drill a hole in for the cable to the rear camera.
I didn't use the permanent live as the voltage cutoff on the power lead to the camera is 11v which I think a bit low. I can always move the fuse connector if I change my mind.

Attachments

• PXL_20230111_083542990.jpg
    PXL_20230111_083542990.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 463
  • PXL_20230111_083635287.jpg
    PXL_20230111_083635287.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 415
  • PXL_20230111_084951664.jpg
    PXL_20230111_084951664.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 423
  • PXL_20230111_090354608.jpg
    PXL_20230111_090354608.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 485
  • PXL_20230111_090715227_1.jpg
    PXL_20230111_090715227_1.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 518
  • PXL_20230111_090737170_1.jpg
    PXL_20230111_090737170_1.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 546
Although it's the same panel, I didn't need to touch that part. I could easily pull down just the other side.

I managed to route the cables easily, up through the rear view mirror surround:

View attachment 14170

The right hand side of the panel pops off easily with a plastic pry tool

Then push cable up under trim at top of windscreen.

The A pillar is really easy, pull away the rubber trim and you'll easily get in behind the plastic a pillar panel

View attachment 14171

Good luck

EDIT - The Micro Piggyback Connectors, 2 pin ones for the permanent live see HERE were impossibly tight, I had to trim away some plastic on the fuse to get it to go in. The three pin one for the switched connection was fine šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Hi, Could you tell me how you popped off the rear view mirror surround? Iā€™ve tried but it seems difficult to get off.

Hi, Could you tell me how you popped off the rear view mirror surround? Iā€™ve tried but it seems difficult to get off
IMG_0286.JPG

You'll see the surround is made up of 2 sections, the right hand side indicated in this picture is the smaller section. This is the one I took off. I put a plastic spudger in between the glass and the panel and levered it away, it popped off fairly easily. You could use a flat knife (regular cutlery, not too sharp) also I guess if you don't have a spudger.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom