DC charger won't work

Kse

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi!

My MG4 luxury edition from October 2023 will suddenly not charge with DC charging, only AC.

It's -5 degrees Celsius outside and I live only 400 meter from a DC charging station. Could it have something to do with a cold battery?

when I try to DC charge I get following error code: 'HV battery shut off'

Had the car for 3 months only and fast charged many times before, without any issues

Last edited:
May be, something bad happened to the CCS2 port Locking mechanism? Either the small motor that engages the latch, or the sensor of its position... If some water came into the unit and then was frozen, this will fail the Lock. And its normal work is needed by the charger logic.

I'm charging AC now and see in the MG app that I can heat the battery. Should I do that while charging?
I think it's worth trying to heat the battery before you get to the charger, especially since you happen to be so close. LFP cells, as in the SR models, should not be heavily charged below 0°C, so that could be the reason.

The battery has considerable thermal mass, so it may take up to an hour to make the difference required.

It would certainly be nice if the car gave some sort of indication that this was the problem, if indeed it is.

Heating the battery by cold weather is always better before DC charging (approx 20-30 minutes before). Nevertheless, even without preheating it should charge, but probably slower.
Before seeking further, maybe you should try on another DC charger, just to be sure that the problem is the same there too.

I would think that DC charging should always work since I have seen power draws as low as 4kW on DC (at very high SOC) so the input mechanism should not matter, the car should be able to limit the power to AC levels.

Sounds to me like trying more DC chargers is important - it is not unusual to have failures to charge and it would be good to rule out the DC charger as the problem.

May be, something bad happened to the CCS2 port Locking mechanism? Either the small motor that engages the latch, or the sensor of its position... If some water came into the unit and then was frozen, this will fail the Lock. And its normal work is needed by the charger logic.
i tried to AC charge and heated the battery afterwards I drove to dc charging and then it worked, so don't think it's the port. I get an error code saying HV battery shut off?

I think it's worth trying to heat the battery before you get to the charger, especially since you happen to be so close. LFP cells, as in the SR models, should not be heavily charged below 0°C, so that could be the reason.

The battery has considerable thermal mass, so it may take up to an hour to make the difference required.

It would certainly be nice if the car gave some sort of indication that this was the problem, if indeed it is.
I get an error code that the HV battery is shut off, when I try to DC charge

Heating the battery by cold weather is always better before DC charging (approx 20-30 minutes before). Nevertheless, even without preheating it should charge, but probably slower.
Before seeking further, maybe you should try on another DC charger, just to be sure that the problem is the same there too.
I tried another DC charger (4 different) and also drive to another DC charging station from another brand (Clever), but it still didn't work.

Yesterday I drove for 30 min before trying to charge and couldn't heat battery in the app (got a message that the battery was already heated)

Hi!

My MG4 luxury edition from October 2023 will suddenly not charge with DC charging, only AC.

It's -5 degrees Celsius outside and I live only 400 meter from a DC charging station. Could it have something to do with a cold battery?

when I try to DC charge I get following error code: 'HV battery shut off'

Had the car for 3 months only and fast charged many times before, without any issues
Have you had any updates done recently ?
After my Car (SE SR) was serviced I lost the ability to rapid charge . ( It's on another thread somewhere)
However I didn't get the message you are getting .

As per the owners manual have you either shut down the car via the safety tab on the infotainment system or locked the car before rapid charging?

Shutting down the car whilst rapid charging is probably best but I have sat in the car powered on whilst charging, heating on and eating a sandwich. After stopping charging, disconnecting the cable and returning to the car I see the warning 'HV Battery shut off' but pressing the brake pedal cancels it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back