Digital key saved the day

sha66ir

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Me, my wife and my toddler drove some 19 miles for a nice walk in the woods.

When we returned to the car I realised that I don't have the car key with me. Must have dropped it off somewhere.

Didn't tell the wife at the time as she would go into a massive panic.

There's no other time but then to test out the digital key feature on my trophy.

It worked like a charm. On the way back we stopped and had some mc Donald's.

I believe the total journey on the way back was something like 22 miles with the digital key.

Glad I got the trophy now. Told my wife after we arrived home that I lost the key and had to use my phone as a key.

She was glad I didn't tell her at the time but now she's upset I have to spend £££ getting a new replacement key although we do have a spare one.

As I am prone to losing things all the time I think I will only use the digital key on short journeys

Got ya - I've Stopped using the App - as I noticed it impacted my 12v battery ... Which in another thread is questionable as it is lol
The app should be ok if you don't use it too often. I use it regularly but I always fully close the app after I've used so, so that it doesn't keep talking to the car.

I wonder if my Trophy has a fault because I’ve got the digital ket set up in my car and connected but I can’t start the car without the physical key. The display just says can’t detect smart key as soon as I press the brake pedal. Could I be doing something wrong?

I wonder if my Trophy has a fault because I’ve got the digital ket set up in my car and connected but I can’t start the car without the physical key. The display just says can’t detect smart key as soon as I press the brake pedal. Could I be doing something wrong?
Mine is the same, can unlock the car with the digital key but car won’t start without phy key present.

Get a Tile or Apple air tag on your key ring. Way cheaper than losing the keys. Only maintenance is battery change every 1 or 2 years.

I have a radio transponder that attaches to my cat's collar that lets me find him at a distance which varies according to what's in the way, but realistically a couple of hundred feet. It's called Tabcat when it's sold for cats, but I believe the exact same thing is marketed as Locator for attaching to keys and so on.

It won't tell you where the thing is if you're out of range, but it will let you know whether or not it is in a house or a garden in seconds. If you know roughly where you lost something with a tab on it, it will find it. Having an Android phone I can't use an Airtag, but this thing is completely independent of phones or computers, it just has a handset sensor not much bigger than a credit card. Once you hear that first beep letting you know that the device has been detected you can use the directional function to lead you right to it. I once found my cat's lost collar buried in leaf mould behind a neighbour's bin store under a Leylandii hedge.

Definitely worth considering.

I'm a bit confused though. I'm a lot less concerned about losing a car key now that I don't have to take the key out of my pocket or bag to operate the car.

My last trick with my previous car was to shove the key into my handbag after locking it in the car park, and go to the theatre. The key can't have fallen to the bottom of my bag as I thought it had, and it fell out under my seat during the performance. Black car key, black carpet. I never noticed. I only realised in the car park, after I'd emptied my entire handbag over the bonnet of my car. So I had to trail all the way back to the theatre, which was fortunately inside a building that was still manned, ask one of the staff to open up, and get the thing. The staff member actually found it.

Having had that happen only a couple of months ago I feel a lot more secure with the keyless operation on the MG4. The key gets zipped into an internal compartment in the handbag and there it stays. Or if I'm not carrying a bag, it goes into a deep pocket, preferably one with a zip. How do you actually lose your key in that situation? That's some achievement.

In my younger days if I was going out for a few? drinks along the Derby mile or around town I would fasten my door key inside my trouser pocket with a safety pin.

Re. the digital key ... you need to use one slider to unlock the car, THEN you need to use the other button to start the car. Just pressing the brake pedal isn't enough - you do that AFTER you've started the car. (Until you use the Start button in the app then the car doesn't know that your digital key is present).

Re. the digital key ... you need to use one slider to unlock the car, THEN you need to use the other button to start the car. Just pressing the brake pedal isn't enough - you do that AFTER you've started the car. (Until you use the Start button in the app then the car doesn't know that your digital key is present).
In my trophy when I try this it says 'success' but then nothing happens, I still get the 'key not present'

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back