Disappointing GRIDSERVE, Weird GeniePoint and great but expensive MFG experience today

Are you on about the one in Stafford? That's junction 14. Did a top up charge to 80% there today, decent 40-50kw rate.

My favourite charge spot for Manchester-London runs is the Tesla chargers in Banbury. Great speeds, and 55p/kWh during off peak times for non-Tesla vehicles.

No, he's talking about the bank of 12 just off J44, signposted Carlisle Truckstop, which are alongside a Starbuck's. I charged there on my way home from Halifax on Thursday. Great set-up. (I've been to the Stafford ones too, just six, also a Starbuck's nearby.)

Do you have the right car in your profile? No SR ever did 141 kW.

Last edited by a moderator:
If any of you are using the A1 there’s a canny charging option at the Eaton Oak pub in St Neots. 6 decent Osprey chargers. Oh and the grub in the pub is decent too.

Summary of Peak District Xmas trip, including a return journey during the storm last week which increased consumption considerably.

Covered 477 miles at 3.1 miles per kWh using 154 kWh of energy In total

Charged to 100% before leaving London

Charged for 12 minutes at an MFG station

Charged to 95% at GeniePoint at Morrisons near destination

Used the PodPoint 7kW destination chargers at the hotel near Heathersage twice overnight, to 100% the morning before leaving.

Drove for 2 hours towards Cambridge, charging at a bp Pulse forecourt for half an hour while having coffee

Battery was always warmed up before every journey if necessary, and intelligent heating left enabled.

Noticed that the MFG charger on the way to the Peak District was charging faster at the same percentage rate than the bpPulse one. Wish I had taken pictures of amps, volts etc for both.

Bp pulse charging at 57.4 kW at 48%, while MFG charging at 68.2kW at the same percentage.

Weather pretty much identical, driving distance before charging pretty much same too. Unfortunately I didn’t have my OBD2 dongle with me.
At 82% the bp pulse 150kW charger was charging at the same rate as the 50kW GeniePoint charger at Morrisons.

Bp pulse:

IMG_1494.jpeg
IMG_1486.png

At MFG:

IMG_1333.jpeg

Last edited:
Am I correct in assuming the 2 photos were taken together? If so I notice the differences in charging rates and estimated mileage given the same battery level. Which one do you think is correct: the app or the display?

Am I correct in assuming the 2 photos were taken together? If so I notice the differences in charging rates and estimated mileage given the same battery level. Which one do you think is correct: the app or the display?
Sorry about the confusion: I have edited the original post to clarify the first two pictures are from bpPulse, the third at mfg.

It was to show that it wasn’t just ‘from memory’ that I saw two different rates.

I noticed that given the same conditions, Tesla superchargers tend to achieve the highest rates, while other chargers vary in performance.

Last edited:
I am currently up in Scotland visiting family but I used Zapmap and found some IONITY chargers at Starbucks just off the M6 junction 44 on the way up. They are rapid 350 kW chargers the contactless/RFID portal says coming soon. So you either have to scan a QR code or the IONITY app unless you have a Octoverse app which if you have then you get a discount.

We arrived at 34% state of charge from being at 100% at the beginning of the journey.

I also did a top up at Coylton Activity centre as I had purchased a Charge Place Scotland card and this was the first opportunity to use it. Anyway that worked well and the bonus was this charger was one of their free ones.

I actually could have got away without using it as the car was at 38% charge when we arrived but it was handy to know that the card worked. The hotel we are staying at as some 7kW chargers that are free to use for guests. So we are going to be okay for getting the car back to 100% ready for the return journey. The intention will be to do a top up at the IONITY ones at Starbucks again on the return leg.
That Ionity site is nice and much easier to access than the Gretna Green Ionity site just 10miles north!

When I'm heading to the homeland I usually get off at J44 (to head towards the A69). As such I usually do a top-up at Gretna ... good to know that there's an alternative just off that roundabout. :)

Must admit - we had a bit of a disaster in the lakes over new year (we have a house there, but only charged to 44%), so needed to charge quite soon back to Warwickshire. So just used my usuall app - Electroverse. Unfortuantly the charging station had the wrong coordinates so sent us 30 miles in to the middle of nowhere (nr Appleby), and was only saved by a random 10yr old BP pulse charger at the back of a hotel (with a queue - as they had the same) - but did get down to 3-4 miles of range. Anyway next morning reported the issue, and they were aware and within an hour all sorted on maps (apparently the 12 bay station was new and they had inputted the wrong coords - its still showing as the wrong place on a number of 3rd party apps) - very clear that this was wrong in the cold light of day but at the time you expect it to be 100% correct, as ones doesn't pay too much attention to the satnav route / destination. - on the way up on 31/12/23 it took less than 5 hrs, but on return 9hrs (1/1/24)

Attachments

• IMG_5290.PNG
    IMG_5290.PNG
    795.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
That Ionity site is nice and much easier to access than the Gretna Green Ionity site just 10miles north!
agree J44 - Kingstown great place as is J27 MFG for anyone doing EV's via England to Scotland M6 , as its a bit of desert in between.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you on about the one in Stafford? That's junction 14. Did a top up charge to 80% there today, decent 40-50kw rate.

My favourite charge spot for Manchester-London runs is the Tesla chargers in Banbury. Great speeds, and 55p/kWh during off peak times for non-Tesla vehicles.
No I was talking about the one off the M6 at Kingstown Retail park near Carlisle

When I'm heading to the homeland I usually get off at J44 (to head towards the A69). As such I usually do a top-up at Gretna ... good to know that there's an alternative just off that roundabout. :)

It's great. I used it on my way home after Christmas. Very close to the motorway. A line of 12 Ionity chargers alongside a Starbuck's - you can watch your darling on charge while you have your coffee. Seldom fully occupied, I gather. I just plugged in, tapped my Shell Recharge card, and everything started at once.

The chargers are the other side of the coffee shop from the main car park, so they're never likely to be ICEd up. Accessibility is much better than at Gretna.

When I was having fun baiting The MacMaster, this site came into it. When he was driving north to John O'Groats, he drove in to Southwaite for no readily apparent reason (it hadn't been upgraded then) other than that he "needed a wee". Just the old Gridserves, three 50 Kw plugs, all in use. (His car can do 250 Kw and he had already said he was going for Ionity whenever possible.) He faffed around for about half an hour then left saying he was going to "the next one" - Gretna. "Let's hope there are more chargers there."

Several people pointed out that Gretna isn't "the next one" and that there were 12 of his beloved Ionitys only 12 miles further on at Carlisle. (This was particularly relevant because he seemed to get into trouble at Gretna with low power to the site, though how much of his difficulties are faked I don't know.) He huffed and puffed and said why should he go 12 miles out of his way? One or two people gave him a basic geography lesson - the Carlisle Ionitys are actually closer to the main M6 carriageway than the Gretna ones are to the M74.

More huffing and puffing about how he'd charged at Gretna loads of times and it had always been fine. So much for "let's hope there are more chargers there" and him actually asking for directions to it, also for his repeated assertion that charging is never fine!

In fact the Carlisle Ionitys are the perfect distance for him to do his first charge if he's heading north from his home, so I'll bet he goes there all the time and his satnav probably directs him there. But I didn't know about them until someone else pointed this out. They're not signposted from the motorway, and the sign actually points to the "Carlisle Truckstop" and says something about no facilities for private cars. So it was a bonus that came out of that argument.

I now realise they're the perfect distance for me travelling north from my friends in Halifax, certainly on winter range. So I'll be visiting again. (I just wish they'd do something about Tebay so I didn't have to faff around in Penrith on the way south.)

I used my Electroverse card at the Gretna Ionity point and ended up being charged 66p per kWh ... that's 8p cheaper than what was listed on the charger (74p). :)

What were you charged at Carlisle with Shell Recharge?

In my experience MFG and Shell are the best for my car, followed by Ionity. They're the only ones where I get the speeds the car is capable of doing. All the rest are slow and/or dear.

Shell big fellas are happy to sit at 140-ish for ages.

Gridserve are pretty awful for the MG4 it seems - never had a good experience charging with them. ConnectedKerb being the second worst.

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpeg
    IMG_0762.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Can you remember the unit rate? Zap-Map suggests it is 74p ... on that basis you added 38.95kWh, or just under 77%.

That might be right. I'd driven 113 miles and I charged to about 83%. But I didn't think I was as low as 6% when I got there, mind. Of course, losses.

In my experience MFG and Shell are the best for my car, followed by Ionity. They're the only ones where I get the speeds the car is capable of doing. All the rest are slow and/or dear.

Shell big fellas are happy to sit at 140-ish for ages.

Gridserve are pretty awful for the MG4 it seems - never had a good experience charging with them. ConnectedKerb being the second worst.
How about Tesla?
My go to charging points are: Tesla, MFG, Fastned, bp pulse.
Shell I have yet to try but it seems rather expensive and I have discounts at bp pulse chargers
In terms of reliability vs availability vs location, MFG for me is great. Fastest speeds and reliable service.
Their app, despite being basic, is up to the minute in terms of state of chargers plus it tells you what amenities are available at the location
IMG_1687.png
IMG_1688.png

It's great. I used it on my way home after Christmas. Very close to the motorway. A line of 12 Ionity chargers alongside a Starbuck's - you can watch your darling on charge while you have your coffee. Seldom fully occupied, I gather. I just plugged in, tapped my Shell Recharge card, and everything started at once.

The chargers are the other side of the coffee shop from the main car park, so they're never likely to be ICEd up. Accessibility is much better than at Gretna.

When I was having fun baiting The MacMaster, this site came into it. When he was driving north to John O'Groats, he drove in to Southwaite for no readily apparent reason (it hadn't been upgraded then) other than that he "needed a wee". Just the old Gridserves, three 50 Kw plugs, all in use. (His car can do 250 Kw and he had already said he was going for Ionity whenever possible.) He faffed around for about half an hour then left saying he was going to "the next one" - Gretna. "Let's hope there are more chargers there."

Several people pointed out that Gretna isn't "the next one" and that there were 12 of his beloved Ionitys only 12 miles further on at Carlisle. (This was particularly relevant because he seemed to get into trouble at Gretna with low power to the site, though how much of his difficulties are faked I don't know.) He huffed and puffed and said why should he go 12 miles out of his way? One or two people gave him a basic geography lesson - the Carlisle Ionitys are actually closer to the main M6 carriageway than the Gretna ones are to the M74.

More huffing and puffing about how he'd charged at Gretna loads of times and it had always been fine. So much for "let's hope there are more chargers there" and him actually asking for directions to it, also for his repeated assertion that charging is never fine!

In fact the Carlisle Ionitys are the perfect distance for him to do his first charge if he's heading north from his home, so I'll bet he goes there all the time and his satnav probably directs him there. But I didn't know about them until someone else pointed this out. They're not signposted from the motorway, and the sign actually points to the "Carlisle Truckstop" and says something about no facilities for private cars. So it was a bonus that came out of that argument.

I now realise they're the perfect distance for me travelling north from my friends in Halifax, certainly on winter range. So I'll be visiting again. (I just wish they'd do something about Tebay so I didn't have to faff around in Penrith on the way south.)
I charged at those both going to Scotland and on the return using my Octoverse app going up and managed to get the card to operate on the return journey. Which worked out fine as I get a discount with Octoverse.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back