• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Do MG EVs normally rattle and creak? Is this the view of your dealer?

Does your MG EV creak and rattle?

• Yes.

• No.

• No, but my dealer thinks they do.

• Not sure, can I just see the results.

• No but All dealers of any brand of car I bought, held the view their cars creak and rattle.

• Yes but my dealer thinks it's all normal.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I will never shop at Brindley again! Had a new Hyundai Ioniq from Brindley Wolverhampton and the whole experience was shocking.

I use Budgens MG in Telford.

Last edited:
Oh dear - thanks for the update. 🙂

A lot of them rattle from the front A pillar covers.

The scuttle panel seal also creaks against the glass along the bottom of the windscreen.

The steering wheel clicks as it turns.

Mine had all of these. I personally rectified them with self adhesive felt for the a pillars, a closed cell foam tape applied along the scuttle seal where it meets the screen, and tightening of the steering column bolts. The car is now perfectly free of unwanted noises. :)

The above solutions are quite easy, but dealers are generally crap, so if you need them to resolve the issues for you it'll be pot luck between competently solving the issues, claiming its all normal and within tolerances, or some such crap, or changing out lots of parts with no clue, only for the issues to come back later!!

If its any consolation, many car dealers from all marques are this rubbish, it's not just MG. ;)

The scuttle panel seal also creaks against the glass along the bottom of the windscreen.

Mine had all of these. I personally rectified them with self adhesive felt for the a pillars, a closed cell foam tape applied along the scuttle seal where it meets the screen, and tightening of the steering column bolts. The car is now perfectly free of unwanted noises. :)

The above solutions are quite easy, but dealers are generally crap, so if you need them to resolve the issues for you it'll be pot luck between competently solving the issues, claiming its all normal and within tolerances, or some such crap, or changing out lots of parts with no clue, only for the issues to come back later!!

If its any consolation, many car dealers from all marques are this rubbish, it's not just MG. ;)

After seeing the recommending MG thread and suggestion to make a video of it, then I dont think I can recommend MG without disclosing about the dealer network service.

I have a telephone recording from the dealer's service manager stating all MGs creak and rattle. This was after I sent them my disagreement and dissatisfaction in writing. Details of issue are dealt in the dealers thread.

Despite knowing the call was recorded at both ends and I didn't accept that characteristic that these cars normally creak and rattle, he continued to affirm that another two times. Stating their demonstrators also rattle.
And so I frustratingly ended up opening up the B-pillar fixing the rattle myself adding felt to 3 areas and tying down one off the cables behind the lower seat belt, as per picture.

So is it normal for your car to rattle and is it ok for the dealers to fob you off with that excuse.
Our ZS ev neither rattles or squeaks so far (bought new last September) In fact is one of the quietest cars we have had.
A lot of cars can have squeaks from the A pillar which is mostly sorted by the dealer putting some foam strip or other behind the trim. Less common from the B pillar though.
Rattles, now that could be anything from loose sun glasses in the centre consul, items in the glove box to something in the door pocket just need a keen ear to locate.
The dealer is talking out of his anus to put it politely.

Do you have details of the tape that you used please?

I will never shop at Brindley again! Had a new Hyundai Ioniq from Brindley Wolverhampton and the whole

I will never shop at Brindley again! Had a new Hyundai Ioniq from Brindley Wolverhampton and the whole experience was shocking.

I use Budgens MG in Telford.
Have you had any dealings with Brindley MG Wolverhampton?

Have you had any dealings with Brindley MG Wolverhampton?
No. It's not the first time I've bought from a Brindley garage and had major issues with the dealers, so I vowed to never spend a single penny supporting Brindley.
It's not much further to travel to Telford for me and it's all major roads, no having to drive through the centre of Wolverhampton.

Can confirm in the last few weeks I have noticed a distinct and loud creak from the centre console area between the sunroof and the windscreen. If I push against it it stops for a short period. You can hear it every time you drive over a bump in the road. Nothing serious I am sure but annoying so will see about getting it booked in at some point. Not affecting the drive.

Do you have details of the tape that you used please?
Hi, can't seem to link to the ebay listing, but if you search for 10mm wide closed cell tape, 3mm thick, 2m long, you should find it. Cost is £4. When installed the 3mm foam compresses to about 1mm under the original seal, so its not noticeable, but it stops the original seal chafing on the glass, causing the annoying noise.

Hopefully, SAIC/MG will change the original seal surface at some point and resolve the issue going forward!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Mine does but I’m fully expecting the dealer to fix it when I get round to taking it in.

Yeah I’m getting the gist of how things seem to be with MG!
Don't blame MG, its some (most?) of the franchised dealers that are the issue, and it's unfortunately endemic across most marques. My family have had appalling service from Suzuki, Honda, Peugeot, Mitsubishi, Audi & VW dealers over the last few years! Ranging from inability to correct straightforward issues, to minor body and paint damage carelessly done to cars during routine servicing. The most despicable being Suzuki taking advantage of my father in laws early stage dementia to rip him off with over £1300 of absolutely unnecessary work to his car. Ironically, that dealership has just taken on MG, so there's another bad guy to add to the list!

I'm not anti dealer, there are some notable exceptions, but a lot of them really are, to be kind, thoroughly mediocre at what they do!

Yes - in general they are crap. Still living in a cottage industry mentality.

After seeing the recommending MG thread and suggestion to make a video of it, then I dont think I can recommend MG without disclosing about the dealer network service.

I have a telephone recording from the dealer's service manager stating all MGs creak and rattle. This was after I sent them my disagreement and dissatisfaction in writing. Details of issue are dealt in the dealers thread.

Despite knowing the call was recorded at both ends and I didn't accept that characteristic that these cars normally creak and rattle, he continued to affirm that another two times. Stating their demonstrators also rattle.
And so I frustratingly ended up opening up the B-pillar fixing the rattle myself adding felt to 3 areas and tying down one off the cables behind the lower seat belt, as per picture.

So is it normal for your car to rattle and is it ok for the dealers to fob you off with that excuse.
My ZS is 5weeks old and I’m able to hear light rattles from the B pillar on one of the sides, while driving over a bad patch.

I plan to inform my dealer regarding this and let me see what they do…

As far as I’m aware these are the following well known areas that can cause rattles and irritating noises on the ZS (not all cars - some have none of these):

1/creaking from front screen area - believed caused by movement where the outside lower seal meets the bottom of the windscreen. Add tape or silicon spray seems to help.
2/both ‘A’ pillars creaking - some owners have removed the A pillar internal trims and added tape to stop noises
3/rattling sunroof - not sure what causes this. My own theory is the roof is so large that the distortion when on the move creates these creaks and rattles. If you place a finger on the sun roof joint when moving you can feel how it moves around. I think most of them rattle, but many owners haven’t used their roof enough yet to hear it. It’s design fault I think, but i hope it can be sorted.
4/clicking/rattle from steering column area. I believe this is caused by bolts becoming loose on the steering column behind the cowls.
5/general plasticky creaking from centre console. Comes and goes.

It must be said that every EV that I have owned has had rattles - my Tesla M3 also creaks and rattles at times - and I’ve gradually got on top of the most annoying areas. The quiet nature of an EV means you will hear things that in a ICE you might not. That doesn’t mean they should be tolerated though. Colder weather seems to make creaks and rattles worse too.

As far as getting these sorted by your dealer - well MG don’t have the greatest reputation - I also don‘t think enough effort is made for cars with rattles - dealers roll eyes and try to pacify - perhaps they get very little time allowance from MG to work on them.
By now they should really know about all of the above plus other items and be fully aware of what it takes to resolve - but maybe not…

Mine rattles from the A pillars, where they meet the dash. Putting my hand there firmly stops it. At some point I'll have to deal with it, but at this time it's not a massive issue for me. Like @Cocijo says, EVs by their nature allow us to hear each and every little noise!

Mine rattles from the A pillars, where they meet the dash. Putting my hand there firmly stops it. At some point I'll have to deal with it, but at this time it's not a massive issue for me. Like @Cocijo says, EVs by their nature allow us to hear each and every little noise!
That is true... My other car is a Suzuki Swift which is around 11years old. It rattles like crazy but I don't mind because of the engine noise and vibrations, it is masked.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom