Do you think it's safe?

Anyway, been chatting with Bard Google's AI, it some opinions on how AI can improve EV cars. Only a few to wait for the upgrade I suspect 🤖... Bard said:

"
Here are some of the ways that AI could be used in EVs:
  • Improved battery management: AI could be used to optimize battery charging and discharging, which could help to extend the battery life and improve the range of EVs.
  • Advanced driver assistance systems: AI could be used to develop advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) that can help to prevent accidents and improve safety. For example, AI could be used to develop self-driving cars that can navigate roads and avoid obstacles without human input.
  • Smart charging: AI could be used to develop smart charging systems that can coordinate charging times and locations to minimize the impact on the grid. This could help to make EVs more affordable and accessible to a wider range of people.
  • V2X communication: AI could be used to develop V2X communication systems that allow EVs to communicate with each other and with infrastructure. This could help to improve traffic flow and safety.
Overall, I believe that AI has the potential to revolutionize the EV industry. By improving the performance, safety, and efficiency of EVs, AI could help to make EVs more affordable, accessible, and popular."
AI is only going to be as good as the people who program it, so don't get too hopeful given the current showing🤔

Anyway, been chatting with Bard Google's AI, it some opinions on how AI can improve EV cars. Only a few to wait for the upgrade I suspect 🤖... Bard said:

"
Here are some of the ways that AI could be used in EVs:
  • Improved battery management: AI could be used to optimize battery charging and discharging, which could help to extend the battery life and improve the range of EVs.
  • Advanced driver assistance systems: AI could be used to develop advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) that can help to prevent accidents and improve safety. For example, AI could be used to develop self-driving cars that can navigate roads and avoid obstacles without human input.
  • Smart charging: AI could be used to develop smart charging systems that can coordinate charging times and locations to minimize the impact on the grid. This could help to make EVs more affordable and accessible to a wider range of people.
  • V2X communication: AI could be used to develop V2X communication systems that allow EVs to communicate with each other and with infrastructure. This could help to improve traffic flow and safety.
Overall, I believe that AI has the potential to revolutionize the EV industry. By improving the performance, safety, and efficiency of EVs, AI could help to make EVs more affordable, accessible, and popular."
Can't wait for all this!

I used to work for a payment company that were looking at transactional AI like allowing the car to negotiate for a parking space near your destination or book an EV charger where and when it was needed etc.

Having just returned from a 75 mile journey using the heater I am entirely convinced that the only thing that's wrong is the numbers on the screen.

The available temperatures go up to 32C, and then HI. My Golf's heater dial went up to 26C, then HI. The latter is a reasonable temperature range for a car, the former is not. It's way too high. Of course you are not going to get 32C, you might get 27C at that setting, which is still roasting.

I think the offset is 5 degrees rather than 6, because I feel the same comfort level at 28C in the MG4 as I did at 23C in the Golf. Even that still acknowledges that the MG4's heater goes up a degree higher than the Golf's, getting to 27 before HI is reached rather than 26.

So I think it's basically just the labelling! If this was a physical dial rather than a screen you could simply stick new numbers on it and it would be sorted.

I'd be interested to know from the people whose cars don't seem to have this problem, what the highest number they see on their screen is before HI is reached. My guess is that it's 27, not 32.

I have no idea. Do you think your Trophy is reporting the correct temperature? What does the app think the outside temperature is?

I am actually not that fussed about this. The external temperature measurement seems to be accurate enough, and I can probably take a good guess about the internal temperature from that. But if only SEs are doing the weird thing and Trophys aren't, it does suggest some sort of car-specific bug rather than a bug in the app.
Same as you. Not that fussed. However, when setting the aircon, our Trophy seems to be 2-3 degrees colder than it displays hence we run it at 23 or 24 degrees compared with our previous cars at 20-21

Everybody's system seems to show a temperature range from 18 to 32 though, irrespective of whether or not they think they're experiencing an offset and irrespective of what they think that offset is. (I think mine is 5 degrees.)

To me this is a very strange range for a car cabin heating system. 32 is way higher than anyone would ever want, while I'm sure most cars let you set the temperature lower than 18. My previous car went from 15 to 26 as far as I remember. If the temperature showing was actually accurate this could be a problem.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here.

Not sure if this has any relevance but my Tesla regularly sees 40c+ when parked on a hot day. For example now it’s 13c outside and 23c inside while parked up.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpeg
    IMG_0226.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 48
The temperature sensor in my opinion is simply not accurate. It basically reads and displays the temperature at 4 to 5 degrees higher than it actually is. This may be able to be adjusted in the software but is unlikely to be done unless every single owner complains to MG about it. But most people will just set it higher .

Sure, but you wouldn't ever want to set the temperature that high!
I Agree. The only thing that is relevant is that you can set a max temp for inside (say 40c) and if it’s reached it auto turns on hvac to cool the interior.

I'm intrigued by the pretty obvious fact that nearly everyone's car is setting the temperature several degrees lower than the number selected, and at the same time the settings facilitate this by displaying a range that's around 5 degrees higher than the range offered by other cars. It's as if one peculiarity cancels out the other, but how did they get to this place?

Everybody's system seems to show a temperature range from 18 to 32 though, irrespective of whether or not they think they're experiencing an offset and irrespective of what they think that offset is. (I think mine is 5 degrees.)

To me this is a very strange range for a car cabin heating system. 32 is way higher than anyone would ever want, while I'm sure most cars let you set the temperature lower than 18. My previous car went from 15 to 26 as far as I remember. If the temperature showing was actually accurate this could be a problem.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here.
I would agree I would have expected it to start at 16 not 18.

I Agree. The only thing that is relevant is that you can set a max temp for inside (say 40c) and if it’s reached it auto turns on hvac to cool the interior.
40c I'd be driving round in my pants 🤣

The temperature sensor in my opinion is simply not accurate. It basically reads and displays the temperature at 4 to 5 degrees higher than it actually is. This may be able to be adjusted in the software but is unlikely to be done unless every single owner complains to MG about it. But most people will just set it higher .
At least my dealership was aware (and annoyed) of nearly every customer complaining about this.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel