EB and Geniepoint Siemens rapid chargers

mkp1969

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I've tried a total of three (two EB and a single Geniepoint) of these design of chargers now on my SE LR. They are the ones with a CCS, a Chademo and a Type 2 socket. Every one of them fails to charge.
More accurately, they start the process, begin charge and then stop, saying "charge complete" without any charging happening.
Anyone else experienced this? I have successfully charged on various BP, Gridserve and Ecotricity CCS chargers but this particular model seems to be incompatible with the car.
Anyone got any ideas?

Probably not it but make sure you don't have any charge target set below your desired charge level or any charge schedules set in the app/car charge screen.

Probably not it but make sure you don't have any charge target set below your desired charge level or any charge schedules set in the app/car charge screen.
I thought it might be this at first but it wasn't. They just don't seem to handshake properly

I've tried a total of three (two EB and a single Geniepoint) of these design of chargers now on my SE LR. They are the ones with a CCS, a Chademo and a Type 2 socket. Every one of them fails to charge.
More accurately, they start the process, begin charge and then stop, saying "charge complete" without any charging happening.
Anyone else experienced this? I have successfully charged on various BP, Gridserve and Ecotricity CCS chargers but this particular model seems to be incompatible with the car.
Anyone got any ideas?
During the handshake it may be worth holding on to the cable plug and making sure it is pushed all the way into the socket on the car until charging begins. The MG4 may have the same issue as some Polestars, ID3/ID4s because its charge port is so high on the side of the vehicle, the weight of the cable may prevent the magnet from engaging properly.

Thought only Toyotas had to hold onto cables to charge ??

Attachments

• caddyshack-lightening.jpg
    caddyshack-lightening.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 62
Was the car locked? I've had issues with the charge starting, then when I come back with my coffee, unlock the car, It unlocks the charge point as well, therefore stopping the charging.

It's not a plug locking issue. The plug locks then within seconds the whole thing stops. I have no problems with other CCS units but I noticed today that the Geniepoint I tried was an identical unit to the EB ones close to my home.

Welcome to the wonderful world of CCS charging where the woolly standard is applied inconsistently by car manufacturers, charge point manufacturers and charge point network operators alike creating multiple failure possibilities for each new model. You need to make the operators aware of the issue with MG4s and eventually they'll patch the machines concerned.
In the meantime thank the German car industry and the EU for seeing off the Chademo standard that just works.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back