Emergency charger release?

Such a solution would have helped the car owner at my local Tesco PodPoint who had to leave their type 2 cable (3phase) plugged into the charger because it was locked in. I was tempted to plug it into my car to see if I could release it, but thought better of it.

Couldn't the person on the helpline release the cable remotely?

i expect it’s the open or power button 🤷‍♀️
I didn’t realise you couldn’t post unless you were a current owner.
So I won’t post again until I’m a current owner in accordance with current guidelines from anyone on here.
And I didn't realise you didn't have your car yet.
Who said anything about you not being able to post, I certainly didn't.
I welcome any hints and tips, from any source (if they are accurate 😉 )
I might try my Tesco card see if that does it. :)
Food Magic GIF by Tesco

Last edited:
Over n done with mate. Hope the card works lol 👍

And I didn't realise you didn't have your car yet.
Who said anything about you not being able to post, I certainly didn't.
I welcome any hints and tips, from any source (if they are accurate 😉 )
I might try my Tesco card see if that does it. :)
Food Magic GIF by Tesco

I have a little flat head screwdriver in the boot pocket next to it, to use when needed. A smallish key will also work.

I tried a nail file but I couldn't get it to move. I'll need to find a screwdriver like that and put it in the boot just in case.

It was my first away from home charge on a Gridserve at Southwaite, and I was all alone. I panicked slightly, but then thought about it more rationally and persuaded the charger to release the car by initiating a new charge then cancelling. I think I'd been so slow due to inexperience that the charger thought it had a new customer!
Like the "emergency" car key that's hidden inside the fob, maybe?

I tried a nail file but I couldn't get it to move. I'll need to find a screwdriver like that and put it in the boot just in case.

It was my first away from home charge on a Gridserve at Southwaite, and I was all alone. I panicked slightly, but then thought about it more rationally and persuaded the charger to release the car by initiating a new charge then cancelling. I think I'd been so slow due to inexperience that the charger thought it had a new customer!
The cover is a little tight first few times you pop it on and off, but it does get looser

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back