EV Charging in Scotland Unfair

Here is Octopus Go statement from the website when I try to sign up. Are the utility companies purposefully making it difficult?

Intelligent Octopus isn't ready for you yet, but it just got one step closer.

You do not have a car or charger that is ready for Intelligent Octopus yet​

We're adding more cars and chargers as quickly as we can, and you've just added another vote for your make and model. If you'd like an invite as soon as Intelligent Octopus is ready for you, please enter​

Thats because niether the MG or your charger are compatible with Intelligent. The rates I showed were for Octopus GO which you are able to get. Don't forget the codes to get yourself £50.

From my own investigations, you need to be very careful of these deals anyway. Remembering that no utility company is going to give you something for nothing. You have to look carefully at where they are clawing back the lost revenue from the overnight rate and whether your power usage means it still works out cheaper for you.
E.G. if you have heavy daytime usage that cannot be postponed till later you will be paying a higher rate than normal for it. Taking in to account daytime usage versus night time savings how much would you actually save over a year?

Octopus IO daytime rate is just the same rate as the variable rate now, I'm 29.8p during the day and 7.5p at night, in Fife

What's your standing charge?

On the face of it, that looks worth doing even if you don't have a wall box.
It's high, 60p, as has been said countless times that unfortunately with an MG you need an ohme or hopefully soon to be zappi to get IO, GO is slightly more expensive and an hour less at the cheap rate but you can get that with any car/box

Ah, that might make it worthwhile. I use my granny charger, but if the daytime rate is the same as what I'm paying at the moment, a few hours during the night of cheap rate might make it worthwhile, depending on how the standing charge stacks up. But @Leni16 has only given the figures for IO, and I'd need the figures for O Go to know for sure.

I was thinking, I could change my supplier and get the variable tariff if it wasn't going to be any more expensive, then see how I got on shifting the washing machine and the dishwasher on to night-time use, and if it was all looking promising, think about that wall box after all.

Because the granny is slow, and the rapid charger five minutes away probably isn't going to stay at 30p forever.

Night rate (00:30 - 04:30):

9.5p / kWh
Day rate (04:30 - 00:30):

29.96p / kWh
Standing charge:

60.02p / day

That's for an eh 46 postcode

I need to find that web page again. When I first got the car in April it didn't look worth it and I backed off, but things are changing. I admit that it would not kill me to switch the washing machine and the dishwasher on at half past midnight.

Thanks for the info.

No they may just ask you to prove you have an EV for O Go.
They dont ask for proof, just ask you if you have an EV.

I need to find that web page again. When I first got the car in April it didn't look worth it and I backed off, but things are changing. I admit that it would not kill me to switch the washing machine and the dishwasher on at half past midnight.

Thanks for the info.
If your white goods dont have built in delay timers, buy a couple of smart plugs eg TP-Link and set timers on them for 00:30 to 04:30, job done! It's cost effective to run an immersion heater too if you have one.

Thanks for the info.

just enter your postcode, don't press enter. Using the filters, domestic and smart, narrows the choices.

Thanks, people. My tumble drier has a timer, but I never use it anyway. My washing machine is quite new, and buggered if I know. Probably. Somewhere. My dishwasher is probably as old as the house - 25 years - and basically no. But turning things on at 12.30 it's a massive chore, I'm not an early bedder.

I should really look at this, because if it works out it could be a first step to deciding to get a wall box if other circumstances change. Very grateful for all the advice.

Got it a bit more sorted today. Had to sign up to Intelligent Octopus first. In 2 weeks time once they have our smart meter readings we will be able to change to Octopus Go. Already saved £20 a month. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks, people. My tumble drier has a timer, but I never use it anyway. My washing machine is quite new, and buggered if I know. Probably. Somewhere. My dishwasher is probably as old as the house - 25 years - and basically no. But turning things on at 12.30 it's a massive chore, I'm not an early bedder.

I should really look at this, because if it works out it could be a first step to deciding to get a wall box if other circumstances change. Very grateful for all the advice.
If you are using an immersion heater for water, there are very good switches with timers. I fitted one a couple of years ago, but not using it just now because i think gas is working out cheaper...ishy

The breakout thread on heat pumps is now here:

Just a pity that Octopus has dreadful Customer Service... had a smart meter (latest smets2) issue that they informed me of in January and a phantom £1900 bill above what I was expecting.... harassed at every occasion by their collections team not being able to read notes before making calls... have a complaint number and the promise they would not pursue debt until issue resolved but put it to a 3rd party debt collector. They wanted to charge me for them to inspect the meter. Now going to Ombudsman. God help us if this is allegedly the best customer service for a utility company!

I live in Aberdeenshire. I have a home charger but our current tariff is 32p per kWh. None of the utility companies will offer cheaper tariffs. There are 2 EVs in our family a ZS and an MG5. We currently charge at our local library. From 8pm-8am it’s 24p per kWh and 47p at other times. How badly are we being let down compared to other parts of the country, especially considering we are regarded as self-sufficient in electricity up here with most of the wind power heading South?
Octopus GO should be better for you, unfortunately their Intelligent Octopus is not yet supported for MG4 etc. I've not had any problems with them and been with them for over a year now. At least it gives you the window between 00:30 and 04:30 at 9.5p/kWH.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom