Do you think that ev charging is expensive on public stations (apps take 50% commission on average)

• Yes

Votes: 54 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't use any apps

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters
Electricity in France is much cheaper and is largely provided by nuclear power, so hasn't risen anything like as much as our prices.

I must confess I have hardly used charging away from home and after some clunky and poor early experiences I have been seeking out Tesla chargers as they just seem to work without fuss and the rates are reasonably good.

I put "I don't use any apps" even though I obviously use the Tesla app - but I think I know what you mean, schemes intended to provide charging access across the country. I have Electroverse but only ever used it once.

I charge mostly at home, currently with solar, but public charging is free at local supermarket using pod point app (50% of nothing???), local nature reserve 25p again by pod point. I judge the price by ppm, at 65p it works out the same as my MX5, above that I avoid unless desperate.

EV 'on the road' charging prices are a scandal. Surely the policy goal should be to incentivise EVs vs petrol/diesel yet charging prices are roughly the equivalent of about £2.70 a litre. They need to be down around 40p a KW. I suspect many potential EV owners don't fully realise the cost of 'on the road' charging. Yes, there is a need to recoup capital investment but the whole system lacks transparency. EV charging stations should be regulated and required to display their pricing up prominently in a format that people can easily understand and compare with petrol/diesel. At the moment, the EV charging industry is like the wild west and we have a government that is not interested at best or couldn't care less t worst.

One problem, ironically, is that drivers who charge at home 99% of the time on low-cost electricity don't really care about the public charging rip-off, because these chargers make up such a low percentage of their charging costs that the actual amount doesn't make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things.

The Applegreen chargers at Gretna services at still 79p per kWh. But thankfully the pre-auth charge is now only £1 rather than the £30 it used to be.

(Had to go twice round the loop before I got an available charger - first time they were ALL in use ... Tesla, Gridserve, Applegreen and Ionity).

It was £40 at Abington when I was there in August. I wonder if they're catching on that these pre-authorisation charges are really annoying customers and not doing them any good. Though to be fair, when I was there I did have to fiddle around with several chargers and yet I didn't see any pre-authorisation charges at all - Just the tuppence ha'penny for the small amount of charge I took just to check I could get the thing to work with my car,

I suppose the service stations are just busier at weekends.

Currently prices have risen by a lot, but that maybe due to this:
20231016_114216.jpg
, call me cynical but not the first time prices have risen only to be cut later

Update on the Electroverse charging and Connected Kerb .My Electroverse shows as 64p per KwH now , Connected Kerb is 50p , Bonnet is 53p ( 45p with my boost ) . Don't think I'll be using my Electrocard much in future ;)

Update on the Electroverse charging and Connected Kerb .My Electroverse shows as 64p per KwH now , Connected Kerb is 50p , Bonnet is 53p ( 45p with my boost ) . Don't think I'll be using my Electrocard much in future ;)
Which location is showing as 64p on Electroverse ? Is it the same price on the CK app ? Connected Kerb do say on their website that some private locations may charge differently to their normal 50p.

I have not seen any extra charges on the 2 accounts i have then most of my charging is done at work for free or home std tariff. Never used a rapid charger yet.

Same here all my charging is done at home, I did however try two public DC chargers in different locations to try the electroverse card, Both chargers were out of order so never bothered with them again.

Which location is showing as 64p on Electroverse ? Is it the same price on the CK app ? Connected Kerb do say on their website that some private locations may charge differently to their normal 50p.
On the Electroverse App at all Connected Kerb in my Area . Maybe they're just picking on Wales ? :) .Connected Kerb is still showing at 50p . I've checked on the ElectroverseApp and on line both say 64p . I've messaged Electroverse ...no reply as yet

One problem, ironically, is that drivers who charge at home 99% of the time on low-cost electricity don't really care about the public charging rip-off, because these chargers make up such a low percentage of their charging costs that the actual amount doesn't make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things.
I'm not sure thats a fair comment. Business electricity is expensive, generally 35p to 40p per kWh. Then there is a supply capacity charge ( pay 1.2p per kWh per day) on the capacity of the feed and then standing charge which can be anywhere from £1.50 to £21 per day. Add onto this the cost of the charger which can easily be the topside of £20k then you have a reasonable picture.

To break the figures down

Charger £5000 per year over 4 years £13.69 per day
Supply Capacity 150 kW 1.2x150 = £1.80 per day
Standing Charge £10 per day
Maintenance £5 per day

Total £30.49 fixed costs per day

Assuming utilisation say 12 hrs per day @ 90 kW average.
Cost of electricity £432

Total daily costs for the above example £462.49

Average uk cost for rapid charging is currently 62p, the above costs work out at 42.77p per kWh. so the rip off companies are making circa 20p per kWh (£216 per day) for their not inconsiderable investment.

On the Electroverse App at all Connected Kerb in my Area . Maybe they're just picking on Wales ? :) .Connected Kerb is still showing at 50p . I've checked on the ElectroverseApp and on line both say 64p . I've messaged Electroverse ...no reply as yet
Your message to Electroverse must have worked !
I went onto the Electroverse app and web using your location (Rhonnda Cynon) and all the connected kerb I looked at say 50p. (includes 5% discount as an Octopus customer) :)

Your message to Electroverse must have worked !
I went onto the Electroverse app and web using your location (Rhonnda Cynon) and all the connected kerb I looked at say 50p. (includes 5% discount as an Octopus customer) :)
I doubt it ;) . Mine still says 64p for Electroverse .One thing is I'm a Beta tester for the app . Generally see changes a couple of weeks before others , allegedly , so it may be a sign of things to come. Anyway , I'll probably carry on with my Bonnet Premium boost . 45p per kWh ,275kWh this month ,£13.75 saved not to mention the in app rewards

I doubt it ;) . Mine still says 64p for Electroverse .One thing is I'm a Beta tester for the app . Generally see changes a couple of weeks before others , allegedly , so it may be a sign of things to come. Anyway , I'll probably carry on with my Bonnet Premium boost . 45p per kWh ,275kWh this month ,£13.75 saved not to mention the in app rewards
Well Bonnet is cheaper provided you charge enough, and you are, but which in particular on yours is showing 64p ?
Random screenprint from my app below, I can try others if you like, but main question is why would yours be different ?

Screenshot_20231031-133425.png

Well Bonnet is cheaper provided you charge enough, and you are, but which in particular on yours is showing 64p ?
Random screenprint from my app below, I can try others if you like, but main question is why would yours be different ?

View attachment 21264
All of them, and there's plenty of them now. I've emailed Electroverse again for an explanation. By the way that's the wrong valley 🌝

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-31-14-12-58-72_51f238544636a91cc05e9a68c553009e.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-31-14-12-58-72_51f238544636a91cc05e9a68c553009e.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom