Do you think that ev charging is expensive on public stations (apps take 50% commission on average)

• Yes

Votes: 54 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't use any apps

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters
At the moment my Electroverse shows that charger as 49p !

Ah, I get an 8% discount.

All Connected__Kerb are showing the same price.

And there is 20% VAT on commercial electric, 5% on domestic.
Correct, I'm not convinced the operators are making a killing.

Still feels like a rip-off, though.
I'm sure it does and I know what you mean. If you really believe theyre making a killing, why not join them, invest in a location, install some chargers etc? ;)

All of them, and there's plenty of them now. I've emailed Electroverse again for an explanation. By the way that's the wrong valley 🌝
So.... we are getting different prices for the same location, and yours is showing the incorrect price, (according to CK). The only known difference is that you are a Beta tester for the app. Ordinarily that would mean you may have newer or different features, it should not however affect pricing of CK products.
Do you get correct pricing elsewhere for them, can someone else confirm what prices they are seeing ? - (edit - Thank you @mg4mc )
The more info you have when speaking to Electroverse the better.

As to the wrong valley, I don't know your where you live, I just searched on location as in your profile.

I hope you didn't take offence at the wrong valley remark ,it wasn't meant as such . Most people think of the Rhondda Valleys as one valley, in fact is two , Rhondda Fawr ( Large ) and Rhondda Fach ( Small ) . I live in the Fawr and that sport centre is in the Fach with a mountain between us . I wouldn't expect someone from Leeds to know that and was meant as a jest :).
Anyway , back to the issue in hand . I've still not had a reply from Octopus :( . What I did today was log out of my Electroverse app and loaded the map which now showed 53p per kWh . Logged into my account and loaded the map 64p kWH . All rather confusing really .
I suppose it could mean one of two things :-
1. There's abug in the Beta version of the app
2. Connected Kerb and/ or Electroverse are about to bump their prices again
Hope it's 1 :)

I hope you didn't take offence at the wrong valley remark ,it wasn't meant as such . Most people think of the Rhondda Valleys as one valley, in fact is two , Rhondda Fawr ( Large ) and Rhondda Fach ( Small ) . I live in the Fawr and that sport centre is in the Fach with a mountain between us . I wouldn't expect someone from Leeds to know that and was meant as a jest :).
Anyway , back to the issue in hand . I've still not had a reply from Octopus :( . What I did today was log out of my Electroverse app and loaded the map which now showed 53p per kWh . Logged into my account and loaded the map 64p kWH . All rather confusing really .
I suppose it could mean one of two things :-
1. There's abug in the Beta version of the app
2. Connected Kerb and/ or Electroverse are about to bump their prices again
Hope it's 1 :)
No offence taken. Unlikely to be 2, so odds on it's 1.

I'm not sure thats a fair comment.
I tend to agree 100% with Rolfe's comment John. Why you tried to say that users with chargers at are wrong in their view about public chargers? by detailing the costs of running public chargers does not change what Rolfe said, fair or not in your eyes.

Just saying ;)

I tend to agree 100% with Rolfe's comment John. Why you tried to say that users with chargers at are wrong in their view about public chargers? by detailing the costs of running public chargers does not change what Rolfe said, fair or not in your eyes.
I'm merely pointing out that theres more to it than has maybe been considered. It's easy to say Electricity is 7.5p kWh and these rip off merchants are charging 79p which of course would be a rip off. Not everyone here has the knowledge of business energy and the differences to domestic. I was simply showing some figures from the other side of the fence. If Rolfe or anyone else for that matter firmly believes the public are being ripped off (seemingly you do) why not go and setup a rapid charger somewhere and coin it in?

Just saying ;)
You and me too

I charge mostly at home, currently with solar, but public charging is free at local supermarket using pod point app (50% of nothing???), local nature reserve 25p again by pod point. I judge the price by ppm, at 65p it works out the same as my MX5, above that I avoid unless desperate.
Indeed. For my Mercedes E-class estate the break-even point is as low as 45p. Depreciation is by far the largest cost of ownership and no-one really saves any money driving an EV, especially given the significant premium over the price of an equivalent combustion car. Over the lifetime from manufacture to disposal a large EV has slightly more carbon footprint than an equivalent diesel. We drive our EV’s for lots of other reasons, and I love driving my wife’s MG4 Trophy.

I'm merely pointing out that theres more to it than has maybe been considered. It's easy to say Electricity is 7.5p kWh and these rip off merchants are charging 79p which of course would be a rip off. Not everyone here has the knowledge of business energy and the differences to domestic. I was simply showing some figures from the other side of the fence. If Rolfe or anyone else for that matter firmly believes the public are being ripped off (seemingly you do) why not go and setup a rapid charger somewhere and coin it in?

You and me too
And it is seldom 7.5p because you have to factor in the premium you pay on those tariffs for all the daytime units you consume outside of any solar generated.

I think the point Johnb80 is making is that businesses have a lot of overheads which have ot be paid for, wereas a domestic setup only has the one off outlay for the EVSE installation and your electricity bill.

Over the lifetime from manufacture to disposal a large EV has slightly more carbon footprint than an equivalent diesel.

I believe that has been debunked to hell and gone, and maybe someone else has some links to the figures? It might be included in this document.

I don't want to get further into the "rip-off" argument, because I don't know enough about the details, but there is also the question of economies of scale.

I don't want to get further into the "rip-off" argument, because I don't know enough about the details, but there is also the question of economies of scale.
There is but there are exceptions and in this case it doesnt work.

consider installing 50 led lights around the outside of your home, there shouldnt be any issues. Now try installing 10 x 150 kW rapid chargers. You would most likely need a massive upgrade to your supply, you would be negotiating with grid directly for your new 1.5 MW feed. Its highly unlikely that a suitable cable is under your drive, it's also likely you'll be clobbered for a supply capability charge.

I believe that has been debunked to hell and gone, and maybe someone else has some links to the figures? It might be included in this document.

The source of the data I am quoting are verified, reputable, and independent.

From the article I linked to above.

1698883522342.png

1698883572308.png

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom