EV opposition in the media is ramping up

Completely agree with that. However, what will be the takeaway for non EV drivers watching that program? They will brush over the fact that it was emphasising the urban myths, and take it as gospel. And the anti EV lobby will say "told you so". The program could have been structured much better to emphasise public perceptions of EV's, telling the few horror stories and then showing the majority of "normal" journeys as the truth. :)

There's nothing like word of mouth though.

A couple pitched up to our church one Sunday morning, having driven from Northumberland. The woman snuck out for a couple of minutes to detach their car from the public charger outside the church (to avoid the dreaded fine), and I asked her a bit about range. She said they could probably have done the round trip on a single charge, but since the charger was there, they just decided to top up anyway.

She then said they'd gone for a test drive, intending to do more research, look at a few more cars, that sort of thing, but loved their test drive so much they bought the car then and there. And they were getting on great and had no regrets at all. I don't know which make or model of car they had, I didn't see it, but that short conversation had a lot of influence on me.

I can remember back in the mid 60s not many cars on the roads then, and the Japanese starting bringing over motorcycles Honda was one of the first along with Yamaha but others as well and us bikers of the day where saying these things won’t catch on then my mate tried one and I asked what’s it like joe it’s good he said very good it’s got 12v lighting not the 6v that my Triumph and all the other British bikes had and it got brakes that do stop you and there’s no oil leaks from anywhere my god I said it does sound good before we knew it the British motorcycle industry was all but dead. Wind on a few years and Datsun now known as Nissan came to the UK with there 120Y the 140 violet and the bluebird, cheaper and more for you money than any other car of similar price and look at what the Japanese did to the British car industry Austin,Morris Hillman Rover even MG eye etc and the Chinese Koreans and Japanese, plus of course,Tesla rule the world with there EVs time moves on and the petrol heads that we have all been will come around to the EV in the end because it is essential that we do fossil fuels are coming to there end we and the planet don’t need them anymore. This below gives so of the reason why
Les

I've now blocked the Daily Mail from my newsfeeds as I just got to the point of 'oh no not another...'
The final straw before hitting the block button was a headline, How are we going to charge 33 million EVs with 40,000 chargers ?
I wasn't aware we had 33 million EVs in this country and as of June we had 44,000 chargers, an increase of over 30% since same time last year, meaning if we increase at this rate..... oh I really can't be bothered .......

I haven't read it but I think it was about the BBC program. If anyone can be bothered feel free.

That's a big part of what they're forgetting. Loads of EV drivers are never going to go near a public charge point, and loads of the rest are only going there occasionally, on long journeys.

I have a friend who has had a Leaf for several years. I was asking him for general advice when I was buying my MG4 and he was very helpful. But then, a few weeks after I got my car, when I'd already been to Yorkshire and back in it, he asked me for advice about long journeys and public charging, because he'd never charged the car away from home at all! Not even in the first year, when he only had a granny charger.

He was rummaging through his desk looking for his ChargePlace Scotland card, which he'd got but never used (keep it in the car, Murray!), and asking how easy it was to use the charger in the village.

There must be thousands of EV owners in this position.

This news won't help as media will jump on it

"The company told the NOS public broadcaster there was “a good chance that the fire started with electric cars”, of which about 25 were on board. “But we are not entirely sure of the cause, we are waiting for the investigation,” it said."

May be true but seems to be jumping to conclusions

I've now blocked the Daily Mail from my newsfeeds as I just got to the point of 'oh no not another...'
The final straw before hitting the block button was a headline, How are we going to charge 33 million EVs with 40,000 chargers ?
I wasn't aware we had 33 million EVs in this country and as of June we had 44,000 chargers, an increase of over 30% since same time last year, meaning if we increase at this rate..... oh I really can't be bothered .......

I haven't read it but I think it was about the BBC program. If anyone can be bothered feel free.

Yep, another hatchet job by a hack from the Daily Fail. He even had the stupidity to ask how HGV's will cope without actually finding out. Volvo have been churning out battery HGV's for years. When they stop to load and unload, they charge . . . simple (like the reporter).

There must be thousands of EV owners in this position.
I totally agree, many EV owners who are able to charge from home are lucky enough not to be dependent on the public charging network.
I have been driving full BEV since 2019 and have only used a type 2 post away from home on about 4 occasions and once a quick splash & dash on a rapid charger.
Covered 20,000 miles in the first Gen1 ZS EV in two years.
Upgraded to the Gen 2 Trophy LR in 2022 and now covered another 12,500 miles in about 16 months.
Having the larger battery means I have performed NO public charging with this model.
I consider myself very lucky indeed that I am able to charge my car while I am sleeping 💤
it is SO convenient.
I know there will be a lot of people who cover way more than the 30,000 EV miles that we have covered, but the facility of charging from home is absolutely invaluable.
The smaller battery in the Gen 1 did not place many restrictions on our travel needs, but having the larger pack in the LR model makes the need for charging away from home, to be even less likely.
It’s really like a nice “extra range buffer” that we did not have the luxury of in the Gen 1 model.

I've seen that guy's channel before - he's a plain-speaking, no-nonsense gobsh*te.
110% right there Jim and there a few more at the moment on YT and other sites
The Brown car guy
The MacMaster
Geoff Buys cars
To name but a few along with your guy above
All anti EV and should be avoided at all cost
Les.

I've watched some of them for the entertainment value.
Well yeh Rolfe you have to maybe once or twice to find out what they are about and coming from i two did the same but now when I see a new video they have put out I don’t even open it and as there views go down YT will drop there content
Les

Whats the first thig that people say to you when you tell them yo have an EV, Mostof the time its
" but arent you worried about the battery catching fire and the cost of replacing the battery when you have to "

They are brainwashed with this ! I say back well what are the Taxis using ?? (in NZ most of them are prius)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom