EV opposition in the media is ramping up

Councils don't want to spend the council tax money they've collected from the residents on the residents to make their lives easier, but prefer to spend it on grandiose schemes that benefit only a few.

Councils don't want to spend the council tax money they've collected from the residents on the residents to make their lives easier, but prefer to spend it on grandiose schemes that benefit only a few.
I'd be happy to pay for my own pavement gully if I needed one, the same as I paid for a dropped kerb.

This maybe controversial, but I am not sure which is carrying the greater risk factor here TBH.
Is it :-
A ) running a cable across the pavement in a suitable, clearly marked appropriate cable cover to a car parked correctly up to the kerb side.
B ) Drivers who persist in parking with two wheels up on the pavement and sometimes reducing the pavement width by up to 50% !.
Access for parents with prams / push chairs / buggies and wheel chair users are severely hampered/ compromised via these actions.
Not to mention the problems it can cause to people who are visually impaired / blind of course.
Many of the older properties were rarely designed with any facility to park cars on an hard standing etc.
A even some of the more modern properties have a single hard standing space only.
If it’s a large expensive property you many be lucky enough to have a double driveway.
I am sure it is similar in your location, but in our street alone, some families now have as many as 3 or even 4 cars in the household and parking with two wheels on the pavement has become the norm.
The police in Wales have said they will be looking to enforce the laws on constant offenders, but I am unsure if this will actually happen TBH.
However I feel they are going to be kept busy enough in the next few weeks, when they reduce many of our current 30 Mph roads down to 20 Mph speed limit.
Driving at a constant 20 Mph in an EV is extremely easy practice to perform, but in a manual car it can be difficult to pull it off !.
It is too high for 1st gear ⚙️ or too low for 2nd gear ⚙️ in many cars.
When travelling in one of the new 20 Mph trail zones, I have had cars come up behind us first, then blast the horn, then shoot past !.
It’s doing to be fun next month alright 🫣.

It looks like the oil industry has got to our Prime Minister again with the announcement that he's relaxing the Net Zero targets. A lot of people aren't happy, even some unexpected ones;

Ford says government undermining its efforts on zero-emission cars​

Car giant Ford says if the UK government relaxes its plan to ban new petrol and diesel car sales by 2030 it will undermine the steps it has taken to get ready for the change.
"Our business needs three things from the UK government,ambition, commitment, and consistency... A relaxation of 2030would undermine all three," said Ford's UK chair Lisa Brankin.

It looks like the oil industry has got to our Prime Minister again with the announcement that he's relaxing the Net Zero targets.
I think it's what they call in the trade as :- "Looking After Your Own Interests".
Just worthy of noting, that his millionaire wife's farther did a multi million pound deal with the giant BP only a couple of months before he announced the go ahead for the new licences of the coast of the UK.

"The firm founded by Rishi Sunak’s father-in-law signed a billion-dollar deal with BP just months before the Prime Minister gave the go ahead for new oil and gas licences in the North Sea.

Sunak received much condemnation from among opposition politicians and environmental groups yesterday after announcing the go ahead for the new licences, at a time when global warming is having a devastating impact across the globe and when the month of July is set to become the world’s hottest month on record.

It’s since come to light that in May, Infosys, the company founded by Sunak’s father-in-law, bagged a huge deal from the global energy company, BP. Byline Times also reported in July 2022 that: “Sunak and his family are intimately linked to the fossil fuel industry through his wife Akshata Murty’s stake in the transnational IT services firm Infosys, one of whose top clients is oil giant Shell.”

On the latest deal with BP, the Times of India reported in May: “Infosys has won a deal from global energy company BP (formerly British Petroleum) that is estimated at about $1.5 billion. Infosys will be BP’s primary application services partner.”

That would be about right then ;) .

Will this backsliding on the 2019 manifesto Net-Zero policies be the end of Sunak ... ? :unsure:

I can not believe what the prime minister has done yesterday it almost as if he had heard that the stop burning stuff crew, where holding a meeting in the queens hall across from Westminster and decided, I will shut them up before they cause any more trouble for the oil and gas producers ( Did anyone here attend that meeting ?) if so what went on please tell.
Some of the UKs biggest employers have spent millions to gear up for the big changes to come from 2030 and yesterday he kicked them in the teeth good and proper Ford and Vauxhall could create thousands of job losses if they decide enough is enough and pull out of the UK, and they might has he given any thought to that I don’t think he has.
This is a very bad move by the powers that be and it will cost them everything in my opinion.
Les

Last edited:
I can not believe what the prime minister has done yesterday....
What he's done is simply to continue current Tory strategy. It goes something like this:-

"Recognising that the next General Election is as good as lost already, we Tories have moved to a scorched earth policy. In the short run, before being booted out, this enables us to shovel as much taxpayer money as possible into our pockets (this of course being the Raison d'être of Conservatism). It also bequeaths the incoming government an in tray loaded to the brim with a near-insoluble collection of problems. This of course helps us in the long run. Our reliable friends (Mail/Express/Telegraph/Kuenssberg/GBeebies) will run a 5-year monstering campaign, blaming the new government exclusively for everything from inflation to sewage-choked rivers, resulting in us being re-elected in 2019. Then it's back to the trough chaps, trebles all round!"

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom