EV opposition in the media is ramping up

Quite agree, the EVs don't have the legs to keep up the whole time, my ST had a top whack oof 140 according to the book :) the 5 is only 115mph.
I also don't get the extreme torque steer in the 5 that the ST did. Although the 5 is front wheel drive and the traction control leaves something to be desired.
The reality is with a 70 mph limit, this will never be an issue! Even EU countries with 75-80 mph are fine and German autobahns has quite short unlimited speed availability nowadays.

I found ACC very helpful on the motorway. I use it mostly where there is a speed limit so I can keep to that without constantly watching the speedometer. Without it on the motorway I was shooting up past 90 mph without realising it.

I don't switch off when I'm doing 75, at all, but I found it very useful to regulate my speed while I chose whether to follow another car or to pull out and let the car do its thing in a lane with nothing in front.
I've just had a weekend in Worcester, on the M4 then M5 there, and back on the M5 and M40. I used ACC all the way, and it was fantastic. I never used the old CC, after a couple of scary moments when I had curled my feet under the seat, then had to throw out the anchor when the car in front slowed for a deer. o_O But the ACC is great - the only downside is when you pull out from behind a car to overtake, it takes a while to spool up to your chosen speed again. And although it works well in slow-moving jams, it's a terrible driver, slamming on the brakes! I used to pride myself on being able to give passengers a smooth ride in traffic, but now it's very jerky, lol

Yes I have had my share of speeding tickets. Not long after I got the XR2 I went nearly a year with 11 points on my licence. I was never disqualified.

Actually, today is my 70th birthday. I never gave it a thought until a friend phoned and said, have you sorted out your driving licence? I've been online and done all the "paperwork" now, but whew!

Absolutely, so people are so narrow minded. He is in his 70s and a fan of MacTwat which probably says it all.

I think the Luddite acolytes will just have to be left to catch up with reality in their own time. It will be quite amusing looking at these videos in a few years, when half the country has EVs and the other half wishes it had.

Isn't the out of the box MG4 official 0-62mph, (0-100kph) similar to the Peugeot and faster than the XR2, the Golf obviously is a bit quicker?

See, this is what I simply don't remember. Senility or something. I remember looking at 0-60 figures when I was putting together a short-list of cars back then, but I can't remember what the actual numbers were. In 1998 the short-list was Golf GTi (Mk4?) or the Peugeot, and in 2009 it was the Golf GTi Mk6 (which I bought) or the Focus ST.

It's in my mind that the 0-60 for the MG4 SE SR is not that close to these cars, but I can't honestly remember, and by golly it doesn't feel like it.

My 5LR has a paper figure slightly slower than my old Focus ST but I think it is as fast if not faster as there isn't a numpty using the gear stick.

My GTi had a DSG which was very slick indeed, but there was still a moment's hesitation before it got its act together, and then a tiny hesitation as it changed up the gears. I sometimes put it into Sport if I wanted to overtake something in a real hurry.

The MG4 just goes. I have felt a couple of times that there was a little less there right at the top, but it still did the job in hand.

I've just had a weekend in Worcester, on the M4 then M5 there, and back on the M5 and M40. I used ACC all the way, and it was fantastic. I never used the old CC, after a couple of scary moments when I had curled my feet under the seat, then had to throw out the anchor when the car in front slowed for a deer. o_O But the ACC is great - the only downside is when you pull out from behind a car to overtake, it takes a while to spool up to your chosen speed again. And although it works well in slow-moving jams, it's a terrible driver, slamming on the brakes! I used to pride myself on being able to give passengers a smooth ride in traffic, but now it's very jerky, lol

Of course you can always encourage the car to get a shift on with the accelerator if you want, without interfering with the ACC selection.

I've only really used TJA a couple of times in nasty motorway jams, and liked it, but only if the jam was slow enough and prolonged enough to make it worthwhile. I have in the past got cramp in my right calf muscle in traffic jams, and it prevents that. It just takes the strain off your right foot. (I didn't have any passengers to worry about.)

But once the traffic got to about 10 mph, TJA started behaving like LKA on acid, snatching at the steering wheel, so I just turned it off.

Actually, today is my 70th birthday. I never gave it a thought until a friend phoned and said, have you sorted out your driving licence? I've been online and done all the "paperwork" now, but whew!
Just noticed that.
Happy birthday.

Thank you!

I have just finished reading the rules, and it appears that since the DVLA have received and acknowledged my application, I can in fact go to orchestra practice tonight without ringing around and begging for a lift!

See, this is what I simply don't remember. Senility or something. I remember looking at 0-60 figures when I was putting together a short-list of cars back then, but I can't remember what the actual numbers were. In 1998 the short-list was Golf GTi (Mk4?) or the Peugeot, and in 2009 it was the Golf GTi Mk6 (which I bought) or the Focus ST.

It's in my mind that the 0-60 for the MG4 SE SR is not that close to these cars, but I can't honestly remember, and by golly it doesn't feel like it.

I would have tested the GTi but my local VW dealer never calls back so they lost a customer. I did test the Leon Cupra it might have been faster but it didn't put a smile on my face like the ST. All personal choice!

Happy Birthday for yesterday!

Quite agree, the EVs don't have the legs to keep up the whole time, my ST had a top whack oof 140 according to the book :) the 5 is only 115mph.
Aren't these just built in software restrictions? I suspect they could continue the power all the way up if they wanted but the electrons would disappear so quick, so a compromise is set.

Aren't these just built in software restrictions? I suspect they could continue the power all the way up if they wanted but the electrons would disappear so quick, so a compromise is set.

Could be heat-related, better more expensive motors could be treated to resist heat more, reduces wear and tear e.g. especially as they have that 7 year warranty.

Also why buy the sporty version if the normal ones are super quick!

Correct. Most EV manufacturers set a maximum speed and the system will not allow the car to exceed that speed. The MG4 top speed is capped at 160 kmh. Even the Tesla model Y Plaid with its 0 to 60mph in 2 seconds has a capped top speed of 200mph (322kmh.)

Not so different to ICE, I remember Clarkson in the Bugatti Veyron, he had it in mind to cruise at 200mph I think it was, the fuel tank was empty in under 10 minutes.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom