EV opposition in the media is ramping up

Good for you. I couldn't stand it!

I had a discussion with a woman after church on Sunday, someone I've known for a long time. I don't know how we got on to the subject, but she started coming out with all the DM fallacies. I said, you're reading too much Daily Mail. She said she never reads it, and I believe her. She's not the type. I think she has been listening to people who do read the Daily Mail, or people who have been listening to people who read the Daily Mail, etc. The narrative spreads well beyond the actual readers of the paper.

EVs are terribly polluting. They're really bad for the roads. The batteries catch fire and explode. Charging is a nightmare. And the rest. Her family has three cars, but sometimes all three need to do long journeys at the same time so they couldn't even manage with one EV. (I think they're loaded, actually, no reason they couldn't go for a really long range model.)

The idea of putting a canopy over the village charge-point (which is just in front of the church) had her up in arms. I totally missed a trick, I should have asked her if she was against the wooden bus shelter that's about 50 yards further down the road. Because that's all it would take.

Some people.
Here's a fact you could use.
4 in 100,000 ev cars catch fire
68 in 100,000 ICE cars catch fire.

And another one, again in Scotland, yesterday.

If one EV did this it would be all over the national media, but when ICE cars do it, which they do frequently, it's an inside story in a local paper, and the focus is usually the disruption caused to traffic.

Supposedly caused by an EV catching fire whilst charging. Any of our NZ colleagues know of this and able to confirm or debunk this?

If you watch the beginning, it was a hybrid, not an EV.

I just did a quick and dirty compilation of links to recent ICE car fires, mainly concentrating in Scotland, all in Britain, and a couple of recent recalls for fire risk. Any additional links, please let me know.

If you watch the beginning, it was a hybrid, not an EV.

I just did a quick and dirty compilation of links to recent ICE car fires, mainly concentrating in Scotland, all in Britain, and a couple of recent recalls for fire risk. Any additional links, please let me know.

Quite a collection you’re building up there,well done.

Honestly, I was spoiled for choice. It started when I saw a tweet from Traffic Scotland a few days ago about one of the three recent incidents in Scotland. It was only a warning of a road closed, or a traffic delay, but it mentioned the cause. I googled to find a news report of it, and was absolutely deluged. Three in a week in Scotland alone. Then I kept scrolling and it was more and more. Some of them that I originally thought were duplicate reports of the same incident turned out not to be.

But they're mostly in the inside pages of the local rags, either headlining that the bus was re-routed or a road was temporarily closed, or they're human interest stories about the local person's lucky escape. The one where the same woman had two identical cars burst into flames within 10 weeks was particularly jawdropping.

It just isn't news. Not even when it's the same model on multiple occasions, or there is a global recall because of fire risk.

I got caught up in the traffic jam caused by a car fire on the A38 near Derby on Saturday night. No mention of it in the press or local news as it was an ICE car.

Supposedly caused by an EV catching fire whilst charging. Any of our NZ colleagues know of this and able to confirm or debunk this?

Given the description babbles on about "far-left crazies promoting EVs" and lists all the reasons why EVs are the spawn of satan I wouldn't give this video any credit at all - it could be anything.

Oh look, found this. Same one?

It's a shame, but now unfortunately the norm, when devastating fire headlines have to say, "EV not to blame" because otherwise, its just presumed that they must be. God forbid it was an ICE car. 🤬

It's a shame, but now unfortunately the norm, when devastating fire headlines have to say, "EV not to blame" because otherwise, its just presumed that they must be. God forbid it was an ICE car. 🤬
Personally I’ve had enough I’m afraid, I’m going to leave you all to it and say my goodbyes. All these tales about EV’s and now being told I’m a lefty weirdo just settles it. So, my dear friends with whom I’ve enjoyed lots of banter and found out so much from about what I truly believed was the bright new future, I’m putting my beloved MG 5 in the garage, sealing all the gaps, opening all the car windows and, with a full charge, breath deeply and accept my fate ……….

Oh look, found this. Same one?

Good spot.

I googled to see if I could find a news item on the fire Ian mentioned, but all I could find was a traffic alert page which had already expired. Maybe by this time next week there will be a couple of paragraphs in some local weekly rag about it. Or maybe not, as it's Christmas and not really news. But when googling I turned up another whole slew of reports of earlier fires - still quite recent.

It seems to me that if you google the number of a road with the words "vehicle fire" you'll get about half a dozen of them. It's quite scary really.

Personally I’ve had enough I’m afraid, I’m going to leave you all to it and say my goodbyes. All these tales about EV’s and now being told I’m a lefty weirdo just settles it. So, my dear friends with whom I’ve enjoyed lots of banter and found out so much from about what I truly believed was the bright new future, I’m putting my beloved MG 5 in the garage, sealing all the gaps, opening all the car windows and, with a full charge, breath deeply and accept my fate ……….
Ach! this is hopeless I’m feeling fine. Stuff this for a game of chargers. I’ve got an electric oven, electric CH boiler, the ev car has no exhaust and the old motorcycle doesn’t start. I think I’ll go and redeem my free hot drink voucher at Dobbies garden centre.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom