EV opposition in the media is ramping up

I'm with OriginalBigAl on this. The more views these click baiters get, the more reguritated myths they produce.

I would have thought it was all the ICE HGV's, trucks and delivery vans, that were emitting most of the brake and tyre particulates. No mention of them I bet.
Agreed, I don't usually entertain these Videos as they bore me. But I'd already heard that this one wasn't too bad at all, on another forum, and it wasn't to be fair. 🙂👍

Last edited by a moderator:
The important point is that electric powered vehicle came before fossil fuel and ev will definitely be the last on the road. EV haters probably prefer steam .
No sorry, you are so wrong I love steam power, I’m hypnotised by the antics and workings of steam engines and their silent power - ahh right - that’s where my absolute delight with the ev came from. And then of course you don’t have to wander round every ten minutes oiling and greasing and burning your fingers etc ….and gasoline and diesel?? They’ve fallen off my fence completely.
All right, point taken, I really and truly have become a bel EV er.

No sorry, you are so wrong I love steam power, I’m hypnotised by the antics and workings of steam engines and their silent power - ahh right - that’s where my absolute delight with the ev came from. And then of course you don’t have to wander round every ten minutes oiling and greasing and burning your fingers etc ….and gasoline and diesel?? They’ve fallen off my fence completely.
All right, point taken, I really and truly have become a bel EV er.
Steam is ok the way it’s heated is the problem thick black smoke puffing from chimneys

That's the point, isn't it? It's the same as that ghastly MacMaster bloke. He's not campaigning to get better public charging to support EV owners, he's using the deficiencies in the charging network to diss the innocent cars themselves.

The MacMaster occasionally says something about "it's OK if you can charge at home and just use the car for local trips," but he says it in such a sneering and derogatory tone you'd think the cars couldn't do any more than the school run and the occasional trip to the shops. Whereas if you choose the right car for your needs you will hardly ever see a public charger.

I am finding exactly the same thing. However, it took actually having an EV to drive the point home for me.

I used to be a "squirt the petrol in, pay and get going" driver. Never waited for anything when I was driving alone. (Passengers tended to have a different view of the journey and insist on different behaviour!) Obviously I knew what I was letting myself in for with the EV, but I didn't realise how actually doing it changes your mindset and you start enjoying the break. And arriving fresh rather than knackered.

Case in point. A few days before Christmas 2022, in my late lamented Golf. Driving to Halifax to spend Christmas with friends. Needed petrol. I was horrified by the price showing at the Todhills service station, so left the motorway at the next junction to find something cheaper. I was actually lucky in that I did find somewhere very close to the motorway (no app to help!) which was about 40p per litre cheaper, I kid you not. But it was literally a portacabin with some petrol pumps out front. No toilets and they only sold some sweeties - not a proper shop. There were a couple of narrow parking spaces next to the portacabin. I bought some chocolate and a bag of crisps and sat in one of the parking spaces to eat them and phone my friend. Constant stream of smelly cars and vans coming in to fill up on the cheap juice. Blech. Fortunately my bladder can do four or five hours without complaint.

Fast forward to Christmas 2023. 23rd December, supposedly the busiest day of the year, and I had to go that day. I had to charge at Penrith, which has rather limited opportunities, so I was apprehensive. My first choice of charger, Booth's supermarket, was busy, so I checked ZapMap and found a free plug at the Rheged Centre, six miles away. Tootled over there and got it. Old Gridserve liked the colour of my credit card and started charging immediately. I left the cat to his fate in the back of the car and walked to the really nice tearoom where I had a cappuccino with a scone and clotted cream. Delicious.

As I sat in the tearoom relaxing I remembered the previous year at that poky wee petrol station, and there's just no contest. I suppose I charged for about 40 minutes in total - it was only a 50 kw charger - but by the time I'd had my afternoon coffee, had a look at the shop, been to the (spacious and well-appointed) loo, and walked to and from the charger, I was at 85%. It was a whole different experience, and all I can say is, life's too short to be always on the run and denying yourself these little relaxation interludes.

And when I got to my friend's house I was cheerful and bright, not stressed and over-tired.

Another point about that Christmas Halifax trip, which I have been doing in one form or another for over thirty years. Petrol stations are not all 24-hour opening. Twice it has happened that I was heading home to Scotland on Christmas eve, and got just about the worst range anxiety I've ever had in my life (if I don't count the time in the middle of a forest in Germany about the size of Perthshire, where I was reduced to stammering "Tankstelle?" to a handy traffic cop).

Bad habit, but I have always tended to wait till I was running on fumes to get petrol. Leaving Halifax, the petrol stations were open, but I didn't need it yet! Three petrol stations in Skipton were all closed. Hellifield wasn't even selling petrol any more. Ingleton Co-op was closed. When I got to Kirkby Lonsdale and that was closed too, I knew I was in trouble. If I turned on to the motorway I knew I couldn't make Tebay. I phoned the RAC to see if they knew where there was something likely to be open, but they just said, phone us back when you actually run out. Huh.

Going north you can't access Killington Lake, so that was no good. Going south you can't access Burton-in-Kendal, and it's a long long way to the next junction to turn back north, so that was no good either. But then I remembered, from years earlier, that Burton-in-Kendal has off-motorway access to the service station. (My PhD supervisor's car actually broke down there one evening when we were driving back from a field trip, and we were spirited off to a nearby hotel without going back on the M6.) So I drove south on the A 6070 to Burton itself, six miles away, and by good luck, in the dark, found a slip road on to the service station (going the wrong way past a no-entry sign, but I was past caring).

View attachment 24583

I've never seen anything quite so welcome as that motorway service station forecourt, with a row of pumps, open, and a clear run to the northbound carriageway and home. And the girl in the shop gave me a box of home-made mince pies! Now THAT is range anxiety.

And believe it or not, some years later and in a different car, I managed to do pretty much exactly the same thing. Obviously I never learn. On that occasion I had a bit more in hand though, and managed to hypermile to Tebay at a steady 50 mph in the inside lane.

This year, a quick check on ABRP said "Carlisle Ionitys, 113 miles" and that was perfect. 12 ultra-rapids in a row beside a Starbucks, with only about seven cars there when I stopped. Not as nice as the Rheged Centre, but still a pleasant break. And no concerns at all. EVs forever, for me!
My cat hates being in the car.

My cat hates being in the car.

My current one isn't too keen. Yells his head off. Until I made a great discovery that will revolutionise cat transport. Put him in the boot, and leave the parcel shelf in place. In the dark, he shuts up and settles down. (At Christmas I took the parcel shelf off to give him light, and when I phoned my friend with my ETA her husband's first words when he answered were "what on earth is that racket?")

The cat in my avatar picture would curl up on the passenger seat without even being in a basket. He once stood up hopped over the seat back, used the litter tray just inside the tail-gate and came back to curl up on the passenger seat again, all while travelling at 40 mph on the A1000.

My current one isn't too keen. Yells his head off. Until I made a great discovery that will revolutionise cat transport. Put him in the boot, and leave the parcel shelf in place. In the dark, he shuts up and settles down. (At Christmas I took the parcel shelf off to give him light, and when I phoned my friend with my ETA her husband's first words when he answered were "what on earth is that racket?")

The cat in my avatar picture would curl up on the passenger seat without even being in a basket. He once stood up hopped over the seat back, used the litter tray just inside the tail-gate and came back to curl up on the passenger seat again, all while travelling at 40 mph on the A1000.
That rekindled memories of our first cat who used a litter tray in the back on our trips to Banchory - usually when we were crossing the Cairn o’ Mount road or the Devil’s elbow route.

I listened to it while doing other stuff. It's just a monologue, no need to look at the video.

Now here's the thing. He's pleading poverty, in that he doesn't have the difference he says he needs to finance the used 911 he fancies, once he gets what he thinks is all he can get for the Taycan. Does this compute?

Unfortunately I didn't screenshot it while I had the chance, and he's deleted it. But a couple of months ago on Twitter I was taunting him about what he was going to tell his fans when he either kept the Taycan at the end of the lease (October) or changed it for the new face-lifted model. He replied that he had already ordered a new 911, paperwork done and deposit paid. So there.

I suspect neither of these stories is actually true, but it does show that he just makes it up as he goes along.

I listened to it while doing other stuff. It's just a monologue, no need to look at the video.

Now here's the thing. He's pleading poverty, in that he doesn't have the difference he says he needs to finance the used 911 he fancies, once he gets what he thinks is all he can get for the Taycan. Does this compute?

Unfortunately I didn't screenshot it while I had the chance, and he's deleted it. But a couple of months ago on Twitter I was taunting him about what he was going to tell his fans when he either kept the Taycan at the end of the lease (October) or changed it for the new face-lifted model. He replied that he had already ordered a new 911, paperwork done and deposit paid. So there.

I suspect neither of these stories is actually true, but it does show that he just makes it up as he goes along.
I’m of the opinion that some people like blowing their own trumpet regardless how stupid they sound, hopefully they may grow up I guess he would like lead back in fossil fuel so they can suck up more crap.
I use an ev charged from the sun doing my bit how about you ✅

You can "blow your own trumpet" on social media with absolute drivel and it wil stay there gradually gaining "likes"

If someone gets a million likes they represent that as vindicating their post, the trouble is there are just over 5 billion social media users in the world so it is meaningless.

It is about time the hosting companies took some responsibility. It is often claimed however that it would be an attack on free speech if offensive and damaging posts are edited off their platform.

I feel that if something causes harm or even leads to suicide that is not "free speech", it has cost the victim untold amounts, if the likes of Meta, X etc. have to double their monitoring staff so be it, they make enough money from the service.

You can "blow your own trumpet" on social media with absolute drivel and it wil stay there gradually gaining "likes"

If someone gets a million likes they represent that as vindicating their post, the trouble is there are just over 5 billion social media users in the world so it is meaningless.

It is about time the hosting companies took some responsibility. It is often claimed however that it would be an attack on free speech if offensive and damaging posts are edited off their platform.

I feel that if something causes harm or even leads to suicide that is not "free speech", it has cost the victim untold amounts, if the likes of Meta, X etc. have to double their monitoring staff so be it, they make enough money from the service.
Most sensible people would agree with your post. The social media companies on the other hand may take issue with the last bit of your last sentence, and therein lies the problem.
The massive amount of targeted advertising that goes on in social media ,television, radio etc requires that the providers have to keep upping the ante, controversy sells and the tolerance limits are forever expanding.

I haven’t used Twitter ( X ) in a while now but it’s not just the original post that gains the likes but also the replies to them.

I can’t remember what the original post said, it was some kind of Anti EV content but one of the replies basically said … “And just one EV needs the power of an entire village to power it overnight” … within a short space of time that one reply had hundreds of likes.

Even I knew ( I still had my Focus diesel then ) it was complete drivel but it’s crazy the traction it gains.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom