Even more impressed after test drive

Tig170

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Following todays test drive of the MG4, just a short note that say that I'm incredibly impressed with the car, it feels very solidly made (I’m pretty sure that the central gear dial is aluminium), really simple to operate, nice solid acceleration & sensible braking, and handles really well, its is very comfortable & smooth. Given its price, its exceptional.

... the other good news is that my order is all confirmed, and should be able to collect in the next week (or so!) - once I get the reg plate (and speak to my insurance company - as the car is so new they need to manually input the details?)

... the demo version had a type2 cable (which I assume is standard?)

Last edited:
The Regen is considerably more than my MG5 LR, but it isn't quite one pedal as it stops slowing appreciably at ~ 5mph.

I was also favourably impressed - the MG5 felt very dated afterwards. I'm impressed that at 6'5” I can comfortably sit behind the driver's seat with it set up for me provided I didn't set the driver's seat to its lowest position (which wasn't necessary). It's decently quick, handled reassuringly taughtly without the slight float of the MG5, is well equipped, good internal storage and decent boot. Incredible value for money, and loved the Blue. The fit and finish are good, as are the materials even in the SE.
It does need an inside light with the privacy glass, there's nowhere obvious for the Type 2 lead, otherwise I'm struggling to find a negative.
I didn't get to show it a Rapid or play with the App, and obviously have no idea of reliability (it all worked, the software was reasonably fast even with my cheap old Chinese Android phone).

Following todays test drive of the MG4, just a short note that say that I'm incredibly impressed with the car, it feels very solidly made (I’m pretty sure that the central gear dial is aluminium), really simple to operate, nice solid acceleration & sensible braking, and handles really well, its is very comfortable & smooth. Given its price, its exceptional.

... the other good news is that my order is all confirmed, and should be able to collect in the next week (or so!) - once I get the reg plate (and speak to my insurance company - as the car is so new they need to manually input the details?)

I pick my mg4 up on Monday Because the insurance company haven’t got no information on the car I’m going to use mine as a taxi drive Nissan leaf from a Nissan Leaf to the MG for my insurance I’ve gone up £500 but When the insurance get more information they will refund me so prepared to pay a bit higher premium but you should still get it back

I'm impressed that at 6'5” I can comfortably sit behind the driver's seat with it set up for me provided I didn't set the driver's seat to its lowest position (which wasn't necessary).
I'm the same height as you so this is music to my ears. Have you sat in any other cars recently to compare? Niro-EV, Cupra born/ID3, Ariya, Megane etc.

Niro only the old version - too small. ID.3 couldn't do it (too little foot room), not tried the Cupra, Ariya didn't fit with Sunroof, not tried the Mégane.

Normally, we're supposed to get a granny lead with the MG4, but due to the usual "component shortages", granny leads weren't available for the first 1300 cars. They come with a type 2 cable instead.

Normally, we're supposed to get a granny lead with the MG4, but due to the usual "component shortages", granny leads weren't available for the first 1300 cars. They come with a type 2 cable instead.

.... I'll check this with the dealer again, as it would make more sense to have the granny charger as the default? (or is that what we are saying - after the 1st 1300 cars - they will come with the granny as default?)

I pick my mg4 up on Monday Because the insurance company haven’t got no information on the car I’m going to use mine as a taxi drive Nissan leaf from a Nissan Leaf to the MG for my insurance I’ve gone up £500 but When the insurance get more information they will refund me so prepared to pay a bit higher premium but you should still get it back

Which company is that? Mine (LV) don't have it on their list either which might make things awkward as I'm due to pick up Tuesday.

Which company is that? Mine (LV) don't have it on their list either which might make things awkward as I'm due to pick up Tuesday.
Equity Redstar you will have to pay more up front until they get all the information but you will get it back went it all sorted

Thats good to hear, Ive just ordered mine without a test drive as I'm p/x my MG ZS EV but I think the brand is excellent value for money and I liked the look of the MG4 when it was being reviewed on various electric car sites on YouTube.

Thats good to hear, Ive just ordered mine without a test drive as I'm p/x my MG ZS EV but I think the brand is excellent value for money and I liked the look of the MG4 when it was being reviewed on various electric car sites on YouTube.
I am glad that I am not the only one. I love my ZSEV but from what I have seen and read the MG4 drives much much better so I know that I have made the right decision.

The MG 4 is on a different level and when I compare the interior of the MG4 and my ZS, the ZS looks so dated.

We sat in one yesterday and have a test drive booked for next Wednesday. We are 90% sure we will be placing an order.

We currently drive a 24kWh LEAF as our only car which we have had since nearly new 8 years ago.

At 6ft 5in I found it to be slightly better up front than the leaf and similar behind me but with more headroom. This is partly due to the lack of grab handles as these often are positioned perfectly to jab me in the head if the driver brakes or corners too hard.

What really impressed me was the space in the passenger seat. If I moved the passenger seat as far forward as I was comfortable the space behind me was huge. This is due to the shape of the glovebox area. The Skoda Enyaq was much worse in this regard which is crazy considering the price and size difference.

The boot was slightly bigger than expected.

The rear is dark but that's fine.

Negatives are the ridiculous trim on the sill and the quality of the materials of the interior. It's not the "scratchy" plastics but the durability/finish of the seat material. The SE we sat in already had creases in the fabric.

On the test drive we will be looking at the accelerator pedal delay that we experienced in the ZS and what the visibility is like but it would have to be bad to put us off.

Orange is currently our favourite colour.

We sat in one yesterday and have a test drive booked for next Wednesday. We are 90% sure we will be placing an order.

We currently drive a 24kWh LEAF as our only car which we have had since nearly new 8 years ago.

At 6ft 5in I found it to be slightly better up front than the leaf and similar behind me but with more headroom. This is partly due to the lack of grab handles as these often are positioned perfectly to jab me in the head if the driver brakes or corners too hard.

What really impressed me was the space in the passenger seat. If I moved the passenger seat as far forward as I was comfortable the space behind me was huge. This is due to the shape of the glovebox area. The Skoda Enyaq was much worse in this regard which is crazy considering the price and size difference.

The boot was slightly bigger than expected.

The rear is dark but that's fine.

Negatives are the ridiculous trim on the sill and the quality of the materials of the interior. It's not the "scratchy" plastics but the durability/finish of the seat material. The SE we sat in already had creases in the fabric.

On the test drive we will be looking at the accelerator pedal delay that we experienced in the ZS and what the visibility is like but it would have to be bad to put us off.

Orange is currently our favourite colour.
Be interesting to see how you get on. We found front visibility to be excellent, mirrors good and rear adequate, so will depend on what you need. 360 camera on Trophy made parking a doddle.

Be interesting to see how you get on. We found front visibility to be excellent, mirrors good and rear adequate, so will depend on what you need. 360 camera on Trophy made parking a doddle.
The 360 camera is the only reason we are going for the trophy. The rear window looked small for regular reversing without it. For supermarket carparks it's probably fine but we have to reverse in a nursery carpark twice a day where toddlers tend to get places they shouldn't and we simply can't risk mowing one down because we didn't have the camera.

The 360 camera is the only reason we are going for the trophy. The rear window looked small for regular reversing without it. For supermarket carparks it's probably fine but we have to reverse in a nursery carpark twice a day where toddlers tend to get places they shouldn't and we simply can't risk mowing one down because we didn't have the camera.
Who is responsible for unattended toddlers in a car park, parents? Staff? I don't understand how we've never, ever, managed risk without a 360 degree camera. You think that a camera will exonerate you legally? It's just daft.

Who is responsible for unattended toddlers in a car park, parents? Staff? I don't understand how we've never, ever, managed risk without a 360 degree camera. You think that a camera will exonerate you legally? It's just daft.
Where does @MoDolph say it will legally exonerate them? Surely better and safer to have the 360 than not? Of course you need due diligence also.

The jury finds you guilty of colliding with a minor because you didn't have a 360 degree camera system fitted to your vehicle, show me precedence... All they do is provide you with a false sense of security. My daily drive is 50ft long and weighs 40 tons laden, the only cameras are those that watch me all day long. Yes watching me, do you have cameras watching you in your office, factory. I swear down that if you can justify spending 6k more on a car just for a camera system, I'll never post on here again. 👍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back