Fuel economy 51kwh version

halogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Just took a short 150km drive back and forth. Wow I'm impressed by the fuel economy of the car.
End off the trip averaged getting 13.8 kWh/100 km
Which equates to about 22 kWh/100 mile.
Or
7.25 km/kWh
Or 4.5 mile/kWh

These figures beats ioniq5 fuel economy too according to the web.

Wow this car is so underrated...

Attachments

• PhotoCollage_20231009_142729346.jpg
    PhotoCollage_20231009_142729346.jpg
    892 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:
4.5 miles per kWh is very good going.
We tend to get around 4, no doubt set to fall as the weather gets colder.

Mine's great in warm weather, with no heater or AC I can get 4.9 mi/kWh, with A/C 4.3. But in cold weather, when some heat is needed, it can drop down to as low as 2.3 mi/kWh.
This is an a very short trip of 3 miles each way with a 45 minute break in between.
It does creep up to about 3.8 mi/kWh in cold weather with the heater on if I go over 7 or 8 miles each way, when the cabin has had time to get warm and the heater slows down.

Mine's great in warm weather, with no heater or AC I can get 4.9m/kWh, with AC 4.3. But in cold weather, when some heat is needed, it can drop down to as low as 2.3m/kWh.
This is an a very short trip of 3 miles each way with a 45 minute break in between.
It does creep up to about 3.8 m/kWh in cold weather with the heater on if I go over 7 or 8 miles each way, when the cabin has had time to get warm and the heater slows down.
I think it's recognised that cold batteries are inefficient. It heats the battery to address this, but it takes more than 3 miles to get it to an efficient temperature.

If you care about this, preconditioning while connected to a charger might be worthwhile - I haven't had mine in the winter yet, so I don't know. I heard some mutterings about it not working if you've been plugged in overnight and the charge has finished. Anyone?

I think it's recognised that cold batteries are inefficient. It heats the battery to address this, but it takes more than 3 miles to get it to an efficient temperature.

If you care about this, preconditioning while connected to a charger might be worthwhile - I haven't had mine in the winter yet, so I don't know. I heard some mutterings about it not working if you've been plugged in overnight and the charge has finished. Anyone?
Can we turn battery heating on from the app when the car is parked up ?

EDIT: tried it now it's colder and I don't get the message saying it doesn't need heating, so can I assume it is heating the battery ?

Last edited:
In the summer I managed Glasgow to Stoke on Trent on a single charge in my SR SE. IIRC it was 256 miles and I averaged 5.6 mi/kWh.

That's my best experience to date. I've got an XPower now and it's less efficient, maybe 4.3ish on a long journey.

In the summer I managed Glasgow to Stoke on Trent on a single charge in my SR SE. IIRC it was 256 miles and I averaged 5.6 mi/kWh.

That's my best experience to date. I've got an XPower now and it's less efficient, maybe 4.3ish on a long journey.
What was your average speed? I am thinking below 30mph to achieve that.

I wasn't racing! Generally 60mph but a decent amount of roadworks at 50 and a few national express coaches to slipstream!
I passed Keele services at 4% and I knew I could get home from there as it's all down hill!
Ah, slipstreaming... yes that will get you really good results. Impressive, nonetheless.

When we had our first car with ACC, I demonstrated it to my wife who was really impressed. Following a car on the motorway, we slowed down when it did, speeded up when it did. She asked how it worked.

I explained it was like the tractor beam on Star Trek. Our car attached itself to the car in front with a tractor beam, emitted from the square near the front bumper, then the car in front towed it along. You could chose the length of the beam with the 'distance selector'.

I've always thought what a good, clear explanation that was! Though it didn't fully explain why the mpg didn't drastically increase thanks to the tow.

What was your motorway cruising speed?

Ah, gazumped.

What was your average speed? I am thinking below 30mph to achieve that.
I've just done a round trip to Liverpool from Essex.

Total of 478 miles Pretty much all m/way A127 M25 M1 M6 M62
4.4 m/kwh.
Av speeds around 60mph ish

left with home with 100% charge . 1 quick charge of about 15 mins and a 2nd longer one of about 30 mins on the way up. Used Gridserve chargers with absolutely no problem . Spent about 20£
Arrived with 35%
Didn't use the car over the weekend

Spent a bit more on the way back home. Again 2 stops . The second one was longer at South Mimms using an Applegreen charger as needed a nearly full battery for my commute on Tuesday morning .

Car didn't put a foot wrong and I arrived at both destinations feeling far more relaxed and less achy than in my previous car ( Seat Arona)

In theory, though I haven't tried it.

It's hidden in "Scheduled charging". There's both "Scheduled battery heating" and "Start heating" there.View attachment 20699
It's too warm today (21°C) to try it, I selected "start heating" and it said battery doesn't need heating.
This was without the charger connected.
I'll try it again later on in the week when the weather is cooler.

Car didn't put a foot wrong and I arrived at both destinations feeling far more relaxed and less achy than in my previous car ( Seat Arona)

I'm finding the same thing. I'm arriving far less tired than I did in my previous car (Golf GTi).

I think it's partly the enforced rests, partly having the ACC to make motorway driving more relaxing, and partly that we're not riding a noisy vibrating piston engine the whole way.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back