Gas paddle late response

Had a definite lag on our old diesel Ford Focus. When pulling onto a roundabout or out of a junction it felt like you were taking your life in your hands.

That's a strange statement. An ICE has to get the revs up and maybe spin up the turbo while releasing the clutch where an EV has direct and immediate torque. They've probably dialled it back to stop people killing themselves and shredding the front tyres. There's no way it's slower to pull away than any regular ICE vehicle even with the tiny delay. I don't even notice the lag any more, I just depress the 'power pedal' (has a nice ring to it now I've used it) a fraction of a second before I want to go without even thinking about it.

Don't want to be controversial for a moment. AN ICE is obviously quite different, and that initial torque is produced by high revs. And its initial acceleration is very quick as the power is already there. My EV takes a little time from pushing the accelerator to achieving significant drive to move off. Someone said 200ms, and added it was a curve of power if I can put it that way. A fraction of a second to what? As I maintain, there is a lag, and we have to learn that when negotiating traffic gaps etc, certainly at roundabouts.

Anyway, back to basics, there is a lag, a significant lag IMHO, but it is quite learnable....

We will have to agree to disagree I guess..............:D

Last edited:
Maybe it's stuck in ECO mode.
I find SWMBO's 5 very quick to respond, compared to my ZS, I don't know if it's due to the 5 being slightly more powerful but the difference is so noticeable that I prefer her 5 in ECO mode to make it smoother.

I have a marine propulsion background (including electric) where the primary control lever would typically be called a PDL (Power Demand Lever). It's descriptive and precise in its terminology.
As this is a pedal rather than lever I'd call it a Power Demand Pedal.
How about a 'velocity potentiometer'?

Back to the point in question..:)

There is a "tricky" delay when setting off from zero. Tricky if you are at a roundabout and see a small gap in the traffic. You need to allow for that 1/2 second response time....It is learned, but be careful............
I don't have any lag? If you set the auto 'hand' brake on you will get a lag, and a slower response if in Eco mode. In Normal without autobrake it seems very responsive?

I remember in the 80s, the Malaysian brand, Proton. I always wanted to go to their spares dept and ask for a proton accelerator. :sneaky:

I don't have any lag? If you set the auto 'hand' brake on you will get a lag, and a slower response if in Eco mode. In Normal without autobrake it seems very responsive?
If you want to understand what we're talking about, go and test drive a Nissan Leaf. The car moves as soon as the pedal does. On the MG5 it ramps the power up over a fraction of a second. It's actually possible to tap the pedal in the MG5 and release it again without moving where the Leaf would jolt forwards.

I remember in the 80s, the Malaysian brand, Proton. I always wanted to go to their spares dept and ask for a proton accelerator.
They are still in existence... quite a few 'Proton' cars here in Thailand.

Even in 'Eco Mode' my MG EP does not really have much delay... though certainly the response to potentiometer actuation is 'dulled' slightly. I accidentally put my 'auto hand-brake' on the other day, that did cause delay... and some serious confusion on my part. Won't use that ever again LOL

They are still in existence... quite a few 'Proton' cars here in Thailand.

Even in 'Eco Mode' my MG EP does not really have much delay... though certainly the response to potentiometer actuation is 'dulled' slightly. I accidentally put my 'auto hand-brake' on the other day, that did cause delay... and some serious confusion on my part. Won't use that ever again LOL
That's a good point, are any of you guys experiencing the delay using Auto Hold ?

I certainly use the Autobrake, so take your point. I live in hilly Wales, so that "hand" brake is very useful.

I will try your suggestion...:D

Personally I find the MG5 a lot more responsive than my Hyundai i40. Surely EV cars has more direct torque and power than an ICE car? Unless you have some sort of super ICE car

Back to the point in question..:)

There is a "tricky" delay when setting off from zero. Tricky if you are at a roundabout and see a small gap in the traffic. You need to allow for that 1/2 second response time....It is learned, but be careful............
Do you have auto hold on? as that will slow response.

You are right. The "lag" that I have been rattling on about is the auto brake coming off.

Without that brake, she is like *h*t off a shovel..:)

If you want to understand what we're talking about, go and test drive a Nissan Leaf. The car moves as soon as the pedal does. On the MG5 it ramps the power up over a fraction of a second. It's actually possible to tap the pedal in the MG5 and release it again without moving where the Leaf would jolt forwards.
I don't need to I have had one for 4 years.... And I still have no lag unless I have it in eco or with autohold brake on.

I’ve learnt in Eco the responsiveness sucks. If I know I need to get out of somewhere fast I just flick it down to sports

As Jake said to Elwood in The Blues Brothers;

"Car's got a lot of pickup"

I've never felt any issues with lag or indeed lack of grunt when pulling away!
Have to agree. I don't even need to press the pedal - I just think it and it does it. I've driven some quite fast cars in my time and none of them give me the satisfaction that this one does.

I raised this issue a few months back regarding the delay in the accelerator pedal. It is deffo slower than a Nissan leaf at reaction times. I also recall car reviews on YouTube saying the same.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom