Granny lead charging speed

My charger is on and pulling 1.7 kW from my electrical supply:

IMG_0355.PNG

When I was inside the car the battery info display says only 1.2 kW was going into the battery. 1.2/1.7 = 70% efficiency. Car lights on (auto headlights in garage), interior lights and aircon on, perhaps the 12 V battery is being recharged, etc diverting some power to other things.

IMG_0354.PNG

Now I am out of the car and it is locked, the battery monitor say 1.4 kW are going into the battery. 1.4 / 1.7 = 82% efficiency.

IMG_0356.PNG

And as a follow up, a while later the car is reporting 1.6 kW into the battery, home supply using 1.73 kW. 1.6 / 1.73 = 92% efficiency.

Perhaps something in the car which was using some power has now stopped and more power is available for the battery.
i dont have the ismart app yet. can't even scan the damn 1st qr code....anyways. im probablygoing to buy a new granny lead thats adjustable amps.

Looks good 👍

I didn't think that efficiency was variable. I don't have the app on my phone to keep checking (my wife does). I'll just shut up but it's good to see others calculating their efficiency

I,ve just charged mine with a 10a / 16a switchable granny charger and after a quick calculation it looks like there are around 25% losses using both options . Using an 11kw 3 phase wallbox there is around 10% losses. Try go-e.com . for some good info.

My Luxury/Trophy has a 11kw onbord charger but my house is on IT system so even if my charger is set up wit 32A 3 phase in, it"s programed to 32A 1 phase out. So my charger (Easee) is puling 6,9kW from the grid and the car is normaly showing up to 6,7kW in (depending on what's on in the car). To me it seem to be very efficient charging from the wall box.

Just noticed my charger puls the usual 6,9kW from the grid, but only 6,29kW goes on to the battery. I have noticed the intelligent battery heating is on after software update, does someone know if this happen when using a Granny charger?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back