• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

"Green Flash" Registration Plates

Electric Berry

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi All

Did any MG5 EV owners get theirs with the Green Strip on their registration plate like the following ?

1614267111951.png

Did this come included with yours or did you have to custom order them ?

Mine have the dealers plates on them with their name at the bottom (which I'm not a big fan of) and are just the same as a standard ICE car. So I presume the dealer either changed the plates or just ordered these for the car rather than ones with a "green flash".

I'm thinking about getting them changed so I can proudly show my EV status on the roads. Along with the other future benefits that may include EV only parking and possible bus lane usage etc.

Has anyone ordered any of these ? if so where from and how much?

do you think its even worth it ?

"Green Plates will Benefit EV Drivers
From December 8th, the front and rear number plates of newly registered zero-emission vehicles will feature a green flash on the left-hand side. The plates will make it easier to differentiate fully electric vehicles from those with petrol or diesel engines"

* Quote above taken from the following site
https://www.carreg.co.uk/carreg-news/evs-add-a-green-flash-to-your-number-plates/

Are the DVLA changing the rule on 3D and 4D plates this year as the anpr struggle to read them?
I’ve not heard that but you may be right. I hope not - it’s a personal thing but I like the raised letters. it’s not a new thing of course raised letters on plates have been around for quite a while.

Upvote 0
The DVLA has deemed 3D number plate designs as road legal if they conform to the government regulations. These rules are designed to ensure the plates are easy to read by authorities and other motorists during both day and night. This being the case, the same rules also apply to the legality of 4D plates.

Providing they conform to the rules regulating UK number plates, 4D plates are entirely legal to use on your car. For example, the acrylic characters must be presented in black on a white plate at the front of your vehicle and black on a yellow plate at the rear, both manufactured from reflective material. The characters must also follow the rules that dictate the measurements of letters and numbers, as well as the margins surrounding them.

The 4D characters on your plate must also be in the Charles Wright font to be up to standard. To ensure this, 4D laser-cut number plates are created using professional equipment that provides an exacting standard of laser cutting, precisely matching the Charles Wright Font used as standard on UK number plates.

The material of the plate the 4D characters are attached to must also meet the same high level of British Standard (BS AU 145d) in order to be legal.

As of 6th August 2020.

Upvote 0
How will these raised numbers stand up to pressure washing I wonder ? :unsure:

Upvote 0
It’s a good point. I think a good quality plate should be ok. I’ve had them on 2 cars now without issues but I guess cheaper plates may fail.

Upvote 0
Are the DVLA changing the rule on 3D and 4D plates this year as the anpr struggle to read them?
I wish they did struggle to read them. Mine are like those shown but without the green flash (which I thought was a tennis shoe) and I’ve been done once for speeding and once for overstaying in a car park.

Upvote 0
How? How does differentiating your car from other cars benefit EV drivers?
It's not like there are any initiatives where green plate owners get any benefits.
Personally I don't see the point.
The initiatives will come after the green plates are out in the wild. So the intention is that eventually they will provide easy recognition to enable use of free parking, exemption of certain road charges, etc. and many things not yet thought of. In conjunction with ANPR and number validation its a method of easing provision of benefits. Nothing today though.

Upvote 0
The initiatives will come after the green plates are out in the wild. So the intention is that eventually they will provide easy recognition to enable use of free parking, exemption of certain road charges, etc. and many things not yet thought of. In conjunction with ANPR and number validation its a method of easing provision of benefits. Nothing today though.
Where did you get this information from?

Upvote 0
I doubt if emergency services are going to rely on green bar number plates for a safety check of HV battery packs. What if plates smashed/obscured? They will have protocols and training on what to cut and how to handle. On the Tesla there’s a tag on the main HV cable for emergency services to cut through.
I was involved with this service, and any help is good I might be able to see the green flash form a distance, but the "EV" not so much, especially in the dark, rain, upside down type event. And one a;ways is assessing the situation on approach. A DEAD medic is of no use to anyone.

Upvote 0
I was involved with this service, and any help is good I might be able to see the green flash form a distance, but the "EV" not so much, especially in the dark, rain, upside down type event.
Do you think that Hybrids should have identifiers on their number plates too? They have HV batteries. Out of interest, what other protocols and training is in place for attending incidents involving an EV? If they’re upside down for example I think it should be pretty obvious it’s an EV?

Upvote 0
I wish they did struggle to read them. Mine are like those shown but without the green flash (which I thought was a tennis shoe) and I’ve been done once for speeding and once for overstaying in a car park.
Tennis shoe! You must be old to remember them, That's what I first used to wear to play tennis & squash all those years back. 🎾 👴
A step up from the school plimsole.

Upvote 0
How? How does differentiating your car from other cars benefit EV drivers?
It's not like there are any initiatives where green plate owners get any benefits.
Personally I don't see the point.
I think it does help raise the awareness of EVs so why not!? Why pretend to be ICE? There are benefits in the form of free parking and while not dependent on the green flash it doesnt harm for parking enforcement to see it

Upvote 0
Personally I'd never use a pressure washer on ay of my cars......perhaps if I was a Greenlaneist in an old Land Rover..!
My pressure washer is only a low powered cordless one, only just better than a hose pipe. :)

Upvote 0
Do you think that Hybrids should have identifiers on their number plates too? They have HV batteries. Out of interest, what other protocols and training is in place for attending incidents involving an EV? If they’re upside down for example I think it should be pretty obvious it’s an EV?
EV upside down looks like A3, they might think it'a an Audi ☺️

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom