My Solution for Rear Number Plate on MG5

Following on from jgpev's solution I ordered a 520mm x 140mm rear plate from Proplates.
It would have fouled the badges quite badly, so I trimmed 6mm from the right hand side and re-radiused the corners (a 5p piece matched the existing for marking up). I've since replaced the bolts with yellow ones (and washed the car!!), but the result is below:View attachment 9099
I have done similar, it's larger than normal obviously but does not look wrong on the back of the car.

1660635907959.png

Followed a taxi this morning, they had just shifted the black bar to the top and it looked better that way around.

Followed a taxi this morning, they had just shifted the black bar to the top and it looked better that way around.
'sfunny that. I saw this today and was going to post it when I saw your post describing almost exactly the same. It's a member of#teamwhite, parked today beside Hardley Staithe in Norfolk.

IMG_20220904_220550.jpg

'sfunny that. I saw this today and was going to post it when I saw your post describing almost exactly the same. It's a member of#teamwhite, parked today beside Hardley Staithe in Norfolk.

View attachment 10726

As I saw it heading down the A12 towards M25, I'll hazard that its the same vehicle.

I quite disliked the black bar below the rear plate so following @jgpev's lead, I ordered only the rear plate from the same company, as per his spec above (i.e. deeper than a normal plate), except I included a red border with the car model, I just got round to fitting it and this is how it looks. I realise it's probably illegal as it's supposed to have teh suppliers name in. I didn't de-spec that, they just didn't include it!

I took off the old one and the black bar, which I've left in the boot in case the new one falls off (unlikely, but it's only on with number plate sticky tape stuff)

I'm quite pleased with it

View attachment 7872
A garage stuck a replacement on one of my cars, and in hot weather, it was hanging off, lucky I saw it before I lost it in the road.

I had a road legal bespoke made to measure number plate made which included a conformance certificate, it is a little wider than the std plate and with an additional lip on the bottom with wording of your choice below the border line ...(dimensions on pic 1) ... its just enough to cover the top/bottom holes without looking like a larger plate.. no drilling ...stuck back on with 2mm thick plate stickers...its not cheap but i think it was worth it. Car in Pic MG HS PHEV.

Attachments

• MG HS NuPlate.jpg
    MG HS NuPlate.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 119
  • MG Template.jpg
    MG Template.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 119
Will upload a photo later but just received mine today and it looks like they've 'fixed' this by clamping it in place... didn't remove the adhesive tape the first one was on with though...

Two years on from the last post, I used the "chrome surround" idea. The ones I got from eBay are 140mm high (same as the Chinese plates, I believe), and cover the mounting nodes on the tailgate perfectly. The mounting area on the front bumper is still a little deeper then the surround. You could centralise it vertically, but I chose to align it with the top of the mounting area. That way, the space at the bottom isn't visible from a standing position and, obviously, there's no space at the top.

They were dead easy to fit and look rather smart.

As others have commented, the problem comes with the surround being too close to the "MG5" badging. I used a plastic trim removal tool to prise off the three elements, and number plate sticky pads (or body tape if you have some) to put them back on. Cleaning off the residue of the original tape took a bit of time, but wasn't difficult - I rubbed most of it off with my thumb, used the trim tool to scrape most of the rest, and isopropyl alcohol for the final clean.

Lining up the characters was quite tricky, mainly because the "EV" element is taller than the "SW". I levelled up the tops of the "M" & "5", then placed the "G" where it looked about right.

The surrounds I bought were listed as fitting an MGF 95-02. The vendor was WLW Autoparts, and the URL at the time of posting was 2X Chrome Car Number Plate Holders Frames Surrounds FOR MG MGF 95-02 | eBay

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    687.1 KB · Views: 17
  • rear.JPG
    rear.JPG
    770.8 KB · Views: 17
  • badge removal.JPG
    badge removal.JPG
    695.7 KB · Views: 16
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom