HAS ANYONE GOT INFO CHANGING ELECTRICITY PROVIDERS RE SMART METER

Thanks for that info @Lovemyev it's come as a complete surprise to me, no correspondence or nothing from them. I'm with People's Energy through Look After My Bills and my next switch is due next week, hopefully it will proceed without hitch before Ofgem puts me on a high tariff. I'm glad my credit is protected, I'm over £100 in front.
You are very welcome !.
Martin Lewis did predict as early as last year, that some of the new energy providers could end up folding.
It’s sad that you never got an notice, but then again, this is the way it goes when a company folds.
I remember taking a flight to Florida about 8 years ago, everything was brilliant.
The following morning we received a text from my daughter back in the U.K. to say that the company had folded overnight !.
We got home on a rescue flight two weeks later.
It must have been absolute bedlam that day at the airport !.

Last edited:
You are very welcome !.
Martin Lewis did predict as early as last year, that some of the new energy providers could end up folding.
It’s sad that you never got an notice, but then again, this is the way it goes when a company folds.
I remember taking a flight to Florida about 8 years ago, everything was brilliant.
The following morning we received a text from my daughter to say that the company had folded overnight !.
We got home on a rescue flight two weeks later.
It must have been absolute bedlam that day at the airport !.
Weird thing is I got an email from People's Energy today telling me my tariff is about to expire and inviting me to take up a new one, no mention of them folding, obviously an automated response. :confused:

In the process of changing from EDF to OCTOPUS , as EDF cannot give a time to fit a SMART METER , Octopus are saying once i change to them they will install a SMART METER Meanwhile Octopus will be charging us 20.05p a KWH . Do we need a Smart Meter to get an EV TARIFF ?We do have our EV car yet and by the looks of things IIT going to be a while. Thank you
Be careful it depends where you live with the smart meter install from Octopus, some have had it installed in a week for some it has been months, you need the smart meter to go onto the EV tariffs as it needs to get a reading every half hour.

Gone bust😢
I was pretty happy with just under 15p/kWh from them, it'll be interesting to see what the new supplier charges. Mind you more than half my 40 miles a week charging is free at Tesco's or Meadowhall.
If the new supplier is too expensive I'll probably be doing more window shopping at Meadowhall, call it part of my fitness routine an hours walk is better than none. ;)

I was pretty happy with just under 15p/kWh from them, it'll be interesting to see what the new supplier charges. Mind you more than half my 40 miles a week charging is free at Tesco's or Meadowhall.
If the new supplier is too expensive I'll probably be doing more window shopping at Meadowhall, call it part of my fitness routine an hours walk is better than none. ;)
Yes and plenty of chargers in Meadowhall , we eventually found a bank of chargers

Yes and plenty of chargers in Meadowhall , we eventually found a bank of chargers
Green car park (on a lower floor out of the rain) and Orange car park (outside) and I think there's a couple in the Blue car park, but I've not visited those.

Just a suggestion, why not ring the dedicated EV team at EDF and tell them you would like to stay with them and would be interested in signing up for one of their EV friendly tariff's.
To go on this type of tariff, you will need a SMES 2 Smart meter installing of course.
Explain that you have been touted by Octopus energy to move to them.
Then it maybe in EDF's interest to get your meters updated ASAP.
If you do have to wait a while, they will put you on a lower flat rate tariff.
Smart meter replacements are a bit of a post code lottery.
Some are done really quickly, some do drag on a bit.
Thank you ive tried for over 2 months a few times a day to check for smart meter slot, none available with EDF . I phoned EDF and due to Tariff increases in October they said they had no Tariffs they could offer and also still no slots for Smart Meter .

I called yesterday twice they know im moving to Octopus , they said they have no Ev Tariff they can offer .
Have you been asked to be connected to the dedicated EV Team at EDF ????.

F3767B1F-F15F-4972-9CD1-25E9696BA51A.jpeg

Just the standard ev tariff until the meter is fitted then it says I can move to the 5p kwh rate

There can be delay before you get the Go tariff as the SMETS 2 meter has to be sending back accurate readings. I had to wait a couple of weeks whilst it all bedded in.

There can be delay before you get the Go tariff as the SMETS 2 meter has to be sending back accurate readings. I had to wait a couple of weeks whilst it all bedded in.
That’s for making that important point 👍.
My energy provider only sends me a digital bill about every six months, so they had picked up the change over to the EV tariff and displayed it on the bill.
Not 100% sure, but I think EDF put you on a flat cheaper rate, until the system catches up ????.
The rate is somewhere between what you would be paying at low night rate and the higher rate in the day.
So, middle ground tariff so to speak.
This gets you in a close ball park figure until they advise you that you have been switched onto the EV tariff.
It all works out fine in the end .

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom