HAS ANYONE GOT INFO CHANGING ELECTRICITY PROVIDERS RE SMART METER

I was with OVO and had early SMETS1 meter. Bought my MG5 in April 21. OVO don't do EV tariff in my area of West Cumbria. Contacted EDF about their EV tariff as it's overnight and weekends far more flexible than Octopus. They said sure we've checked your meter it's fine Two days after transferring they sent an email saying can't talk to my meter so on normal full tariff. Long story short I'm still waiting (September 21) for promised over the air upgrade. Not their problem according to EDF. They're taking £80.00 pm off me and I've still not had a bill or any updates. Grrr my car is costing 15p Kw instead of expected 5p. Not a happy bunny

Is the EDF tariff 5p at the weekend too as when I checked the 98 tariff was at 8p but might be a different region

I’m on a fixed British Gas single rate tariff until April 2022 - given increasing gas prices, combined with WFH so limited charging needs and early exit fees, not sure any EV tariffs are cheaper for me right now. Often finding the daily standing charges and higher on-peak rate offset my savings with the lower off-peak tariff. There’s only so much current usage I can shift to off-peak.

Although, just had British Gas SMETS2 meters installed ready for a swap - but feel different providers for each might be cheaper going forwards.

I am on the EDF Go tariff that ends at the end of November.
Our “Off - Peak” rate of 8p / kw is from 10.00pm to 8.00am Monday to Friday AND all weekend !.
I think they are offering a rate of 5p / kw but I am not sure on the times when it is available.

Tonight I will be having my first Octopus Go cheaper charge.

My supply changed over this week.
From Avro for dual fuel to Octopus for electric and ZOG Energy for Gas.
Gas was a competitive fixed price for 2 years - just hoping they don't go bust.

Already had a working SMETS2 meter (it was my 3rd set of smart meters) and the change over went to plan.

ZOG Energy for Gas.
Gas was a competitive fixed price for 2 years - just hoping they don't go bust.
This is the problem with these new energy companies, they are really up against it !.
Martin Lewis did predict this a while ago.
He said some of the new smaller companies will just not pull through.
It's a real shame, but it leaves their customers in a mess !.
The big fish ( sharks ) are just circling waiting to strike.

Yeah I too have a SMETS1 (I think thats what it's called) meter from British Gas, so if I switch at the moment it just turns back into a dumb meter.

Have to wait for it to get a software update some time later this year.
Don’t wait for this, as it could take forever!
I started with Octopus on a fixed rate tariff, which was the cheapest I could get at the time, then asked about new meters, as I wanted to change to an EV friendly tariff (Octopus Go at the time) I also asked about replacing my SMETS 1 meters and although others said they had a long wait, mine got switched by Octopus inside of four weeks - but I do live in outer London so ppl living elsewhere their MMV. The switchover was about an hour or so to do and after they were in, I switched to Go - Faster tariff as the discounted charging period was from 8:30pm - 1:30am and not 12:30 am to 4:30am and made my manual washer/dishwasher & dryer much easier to manage.

Don’t wait for this, as it could take forever!
I started with Octopus on a fixed rate tariff, which was the cheapest I could get at the time, then asked about new meters, as I wanted to change to an EV friendly tariff (Octopus Go at the time) I also asked about replacing my SMETS 1 meters and although others said they had a long wait, mine got switched by Octopus inside of four weeks - but I do live in outer London so ppl living elsewhere their MMV. The switchover was about an hour or so to do and after they were in, I switched to Go - Faster tariff as the discounted charging period was from 8:30pm - 1:30am and not 12:30 am to 4:30am and made my manual washer/dishwasher & dryer much easier to manage.
Considering that another 4 suppliers are about to go belly up this week I might just wait a little longer :)

I got my third set of smart meters a few weeks back - but first set of SMETS2 meters, through British Gas. I'd enquired about their EV Tariff before i'd got my MG5 and they arranged new smart meters to allow the dual rate tariff, but couldn't proceed with tariff change until I got the car. Not sure I'll bother just yet - but meters fitted for future anyway.

Some SMET 1 meters can actually be read by other companies now, I think it's the minority though. Worth checking though as it may mean some folk don't actually need to wait for a new SMET 2.

I already pointed out one example.
Octopus can read the Secure brand SMETS1 meters.

The trouble with the Octopus rate is it's very unsociable hours. I only need to charge every 3 weeks or so. I'm still quite happily using my granny charger. There's no point in paying out for a home charger. With EDF low tariff overnight & weekend rate I could easily top up without worrying about changing outside the very small window of opportunity with octopus. I could mess about with a "timer" socket . If only I had working meters. I contacted OFGEM and the expected time before you can even think about complaining about shoddy service is 12 months!! The wonders of modern technology.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom