Have you got any rust on your MG ZS EV?

Have you got any visible rust on your MG ZS EV?

• Yes

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 89.1%

• Total voters
Yes I agree. I guess there could be possible issues around blocking drain holes, sealing in moisture, using the wrong materials, that sort of thing. I suppose the manufacturer could just say that any changes invalidate the warranty even those that potentially improve things - no logic I know, but it depends if they are looking for a reason to reject any claims. My experience so far is that they can push back very quickly. That said it is extremely unlikely that there will be panel perforation in the first 7 Years I would have thought? I know Tesla don’t like anything like this and state it quite clearly in their warranty. I think owners who are contemplating rust proofing their cars may be looking at longer term ownership after the warranty period.

@MilesperkWh on one of the pod casts said he did not see any reason that MG would object to improving the underbody protection with cavity wax injection.
Why would they, you are only improving what is NOT already there !.
Applying extra sealant OVER the original factory applied stuff, yeah I could see that being an issue with them, but injecting inside of the rails etc should not be a problem surely.
Hiya I agree and I too heard what Miles Said but I know I read it somewhere on one of the forums
Les

Yes I agree. I guess there could be possible issues around blocking drain holes, sealing in moisture, using the wrong materials, that sort of thing. I suppose the manufacturer could just say that any changes invalidate the warranty even those that potentially improve things - no logic I know, but it depends if they are looking for a reason to reject any claims. My experience so far is that they can push back very quickly. That said it is extremely unlikely that there will be panel perforation in the first 7 Years I would have thought? I know Tesla don’t like anything like this and state it quite clearly in their warranty. I think owners who are contemplating rust proofing their cars may be looking at longer term ownership after the warranty period.
Yeh Cocijo you are dead right and there’s another problem with the MG brand the so called 7 year warranty is not very clear in many areas including this one
Les

Yes Les. We had quite a debate about warranty here:
Thread 'Does anyone think that the MG ‘7 Year warranty’ is misleading?'
Does anyone think that the MG ‘7 Year warranty’ is misleading?
interested in your comments sometime.
Once again Cocijo you have my thanks for the link you sent Mei knew I had read it somewhere that the warranty is not all it’s made out to be so now I can read it over again thank you you have been very helpful in this

Yep. That's what I thought
A quick update. MG UK response through the dealer is that this is a stone chip. They have offered to pay 50% of the cost of repair. My dealer offered to pay 25% leaving me to pay 25%. I have now emailed MG UK customer service myself to complain about their response /offer. Now waiting for a reply. I am now wondering what the MG 7 year warranty will cover. Maybe it's not worth the paper it's written on

A quick update. MG UK response through the dealer is that this is a stone chip. They have offered to pay 50% of the cost of repair. My dealer offered to pay 25% leaving me to pay 25%. I have now emailed MG UK customer service myself to complain about their response /offer. Now waiting for a reply. I am now wondering what the MG 7 year warranty will cover. Maybe it's not worth the paper it's written on
I guess the difficult part here is proving what caused the paint to erupt / blister in the way it has ?.
If it IS the result of a stone chip that went untreated, then of course they want to pin the blame on the owner for not taking out the right course of corrective action to prevent the problem from advancing in the way it has.
IF - On the other hand, the paint has just started to erupt / blister when neither the clear coat or the base coat had NOT been compromised, then that’s a totally different conversation.
That would mean that the corrosion was in the steel before the car got painted.
If you do plan to go ahead with the rework ( I don’t see that you have any other option to be honest, or the problem will just get worse ) then I would like to see what that local area looks like when the “Scab” is removed.
I am fairly sure the area will be about twice the size as the original scab.
Do they intend to repaint the whole roof panel - I guess so ????.
Big job alright !.

I guess the difficult part here is proving what caused the paint to erupt / blister in the way it has ?.
If it IS the result of a stone chip that went untreated, then of course they want to pin the blame on the owner for not taking out the right course of corrective action to prevent the problem from advancing in the way it has.
IF - On the other hand, the paint has just started to erupt / blister when neither the clear coat or the base coat had NOT been compromised, then that’s a totally different conversation.
That would mean that the corrosion was in the steel before the car got painted.
If you do plan to go ahead with the rework ( I don’t see that you have any other option to be honest, or the problem will just get worse ) then I would like to see what that local area looks like when the “Scab” is removed.
I am fairly sure the area will be about twice the size as the original scab.
Do they intend to repaint the whole roof panel - I guess so ????.
Big job alright !.
Yes. The quote was for repainting the whole roof. If MG refuse to rectify the problem I will tell the dealer I want to see the roof as soon as the lump and surrounding paint are removed. At least that way I'll know if the rusted area is bigger than the blister

Yes. The quote was for repainting the whole roof. If MG refuse to rectify the problem I will tell the dealer I want to see the roof as soon as the lump and surrounding paint are removed. At least that way I'll know if the rusted area is bigger than the blister
Latest update. Got my car back today after a roof respray. The Dealer Brysons of Prestwick persuaded MG UK to pay 2/3 of the cost and the dealer paid the other 1/3. Not a bad result eventually. They are still saying it was an untreated stone chip. I am still not convinced.

Did you get to see any photos of the area when the paint had been removed ?.
Glad it’s all sorted now !.
No but the Dealer who has a good reputation in thus area and I would trust more than most, said there were a couple of other spots on the front of the roof again they say stone chips. I suppose the result here is to keep an eye on the bodywork for chips.

No but the Dealer who has a good reputation in thus area and I would trust more than most, said there were a couple of other spots on the front of the roof again they say stone chips. I suppose the result here is to keep an eye on the bodywork for chips.
Or stop tailgating lorries to gain a few more miles. :giggle:

Although they do an importance job in the winter months, I hate being on the road when the gritting lorries are spreading !.
If I see one coming towards me in the distance and there is an opportunity to leave that road, I will !.
I would never follow a gritting lorry.
The level of damage caused by the rock salt that they throw out in a very short time, can be devastating to the paint work of any car !.
The sight of one of these trucks with there flashing orange light, makes my whole body cringe.

Although they do an importance job in the winter months, I hate being on the road when the gritting lorries are spreading !.
If I see one coming towards me in the distance and there is an opportunity to leave that road, I will !.
I would never follow a gritting lorry.
The level of damage caused by the rock salt that they throw out in a very short time, can be devastating to the paint work of any car !.
The sight of one of these trucks with there flashing orange light, makes my whole body cringe.
Well Lovemyev why I do agree with what you say today it’s June the 1st so hopefully you or I won’t see one me I’m just enjoying the weather while we can
Les

Well Lovemyev why I do agree with what you say today it’s June the 1st so hopefully you or I won’t see one me I’m just enjoying the weather while we can
Les
Enjoy while it lasts Les !.
In the U.K. it could be -5 next week 🤣.
Went out for a “Pleasure Ride” today, outside temp showing around the 20 degree mark on the head unit of the car.
The view from the top of the horseshoe pass was brilliant today.
The car was only “sipping gently” at the range in battery in these conditions.

Enjoy while it lasts Les !.
In the U.K. it could be -5 next week 🤣.
Went out for a “Pleasure Ride” today, outside temp showing around the 20 degree mark on the head unit of the car.
The view from the top of the horseshoe pass was brilliant today.
The car was only “sipping gently” at the range in battery in these conditions.
Wonderful road that is done it myself quite a few times I’m hoping to do the walk up snowdon at some point so might drive that way only about 65 miles from me to Llangollen we like wales very much we done north mid and south in fact all of it great place and still we go to the south almost every year to visited friends in gorseinon right by the gower they live lovely part of the world glad you enjoyed your day

Last edited:
I noticed some rust in the engine bay on mine on the smaller, black, bottom chassis rails where the upright sections meet them. 8 months old, very rarely driven in wet weather. :(
I've just lathered this area with WD40 for now, if it doesn't spread then I'll leave it alone.

Last edited:
This is surface rust..no problem Ford,bmw,vw al cars have that,i have it also . The underbody i have treat with tectyl anti corrosion. For long term protection.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom